“Loved our first camping trip to Disney!!”

and 1 more site!
The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort
McLeansboro, IL
“Loved our first camping trip to Disney!!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very impressed, as I knew I would be, with the Fort Wilderness Campground in the Disney Resort area. Very nice concrete, large sites (we rented a premium site) with charcoal grills and picnic table. We had a 30' travel trailer with a Toyota Tundra and had ample space for everything. We were in the 400 loop (404) which was close to the boat launch to Magic Kingdom and we were also close to a comfort station (which we had requested ahead of time for both). Comfort stations were also nice; sufficient laundry facilities, very nice showers and restrooms, very clean. We did rent a golf cart for part of our stay just to check everything out. They of course are a little pricey but we were glad we had it for part of the time. We did not take advantage of the pool or a lot of the on site activities so I cannot comment on them but they all looked like great fun. Even though the next camp spot may be fairly close to you, the trees and bushes really provide great privacy. Would absolutely return again!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank jsuzy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed June 11, 2013

First, we stay here at least 2 to 4 times a year and have been for the last 20 years. Just got back from a 10 day stay on June 6th. The last couple years we have had the misfortune of booking our stay during a long holiday weekend or Halloween. Never again! It becomes chaos with the campground being full to capacity. This time we noticed several times during Memorial Weekend that cars were cleared through security, parked and then took the bus to the pool where the family, friends, and their million children would get onto the campground bus to the Meadows pool area WITH THEIR COOLERS and park themselves. I asked one if they were a resort guest and they said no. There were no pool chairs the entire weekend. I had to go up to the front several times for various reasons and saw this happen 3 days in a row. Now, if they can check resort ID for Beach Club, Boardwalk, Grand Floridian, etc., they can check for all their resorts and keep non-resort people out of the darn pool! I complained to Disney but have not heard back as of yet. As a season passholder and frequent resort guest, I should never have to compete with "locals" for pool time. I am hopeful I am not the only one complaining and they will put an end to it soon. Also, the Florida people think rules are for other people. Example, only one vehicle and 8 people allowed per camp space . They will have 2-3 cars plus their campers and golf carts and 12 people so you can barely get down the loop to your spot with your RV. Halloween weekend, they were driving around with open containers of Jack in their golf carts while their children trick or treated! I did get a phone call back on that one. I did notice more security present this time in cars and bicycles. Hopefully, they will start enforcing their own rules and keep the "local riff raff" to a minimum. Otherwise, I cannot say enough good about the campground overall. My kids grew up in that campground and we love the convenience of being on Disney property and it being affordable. We are also able to bring the dogs which is nice. Fabulous place, just stay away from holiday weekends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Kelly K
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stay at this campground at the open field. No signs for flooding area. We got flooded. The drainage system did not work. I wont camp at this place never. probably with a boat on hand. They should review the flooding areas and put signs or fix the drainage system.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank manyloco
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Fort Wilderness is a great place to camp and has lots to do for all ages. Recently stayed here with ages from 3 to 63 and everyone had a great time. Swimming, fishing, campfire, bring your bike and ride (which you can't do if you are in a hotel), horseback riding and tons more. It is great that it is part of the Disney resort and once you are there you never have to leave! Disney bus or boat transportation will take you anywhere on Disney property you need to go and back . Campsites are pretty well shaded most of the day. THE COMFORT STATIONS are AWESOME! So clean and nice and cool. HOT water! Did not try any of the restaurants onsite, so I am not sure of the quality or price. Bring rain ponchos! For Disney trip, I would recommend Fort Wilderness. Really enjoyed our stay here and hope to be able to return one day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank soeastmama
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

There are significant pluses and minuses when you stay here. Perhaps the biggest plus is that you can park outside your cabin something that's impossible at any of the hotels. To get around the site you can also hire a golf cart. The cabins in FW come fully equipped for a self-catering holiday, so you don't need to pack the bowls or cups. The site also lies on the Southern banks of Bay Lake, so you can hop a ferry to the Magic Kingdom each day if you wish.

The minus side has some things to consider. Firstly, make no mistake: this is a small forest, with all the attendant delights which include Armadillos, peacocks, myriad insects and even bears and alligators, if you're unlucky enough to meet one. That said, we didn't, and we were there for three weeks. However, it's probably wiser not to visit during Hurricane season, as the cabins are not up to withstanding a major storm, and they would evacuate you.

Other than those minor issues, security is very good, the best dinner show in WDW is right on your doorstep, buses and boats operate round the clock and the cabin is very large. Set against that folks should remember that Disney don't do food that well, surprisingly, so it's best to eat out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Viera, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have stayed at many of the resorts in Disney World over the years including many of the deluxes and DVC resorts but this one just sits at the top of my list. I love the fact that it feels so private yet nestled right in the middle of the magic. We stay in the cabins and I just love having access to the amenities (full kitchen, separate bedroom, etc)..not to mention the best night's sleep ANYWHERE in the world...no floors above or common walls between rooms or corridors or elevators (I can on and on about this). I know some complain that the cabin interiors are a bit dated but I think that's what gives it it's character.

Housekeeping was great, we had lots of towel/wash cloth surprises when we got back, my daughter loved that!

I love coming here when it's cooler and being able to open all the windows after coming back from the parks and letting in the fresh air. I love being able to cook s'mores on our bbq right outside the cabin. I love being able to go to a singalong campfire with Chip n dale that you don't have to pay for.

We have rented a golf cart to get around on some visits and some we did not. What we missed most about having the golf cart was being able to drive around the RV loops and look at the decorations that guests put up, LOL! The internal bus system is not as bad as some say because it is no different than most of the "spread out" DVC resorts. We've waited just as long, if not longer for buses there as well. The longest wait we had was 10 minutes here which isn't bad compared to some of the 20-30 min waits at the DVC's and the packed buses at the "other" moderate resorts where we couldn't even board. The boat to MK as well as to the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge resorts is convenient.

Trails End restaurant has a great buffet and is probably the best value on property. I look forward to staying here again.

The only issue we had, if any, was the check-out process. It took entirely too long (almost 30 min) and the line was out the door. I thought we were registered for express-check out but that wasn't the case. Next time we'll make sure we do the express check out;-)

Room Tip: I like choosing a room that is a little further into a loop away from the bus stop;-)