“Decent room! Beware of cafeteria remodeling and staff doesn't turn in lost items”

Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Ranked #129 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have stayed at all the of All Star resorts in the past. This visit was about the same. The room was average but clean and comfortable. Even if you are in the more remote building, it is a short walk to pool and main area. Two medium sized problems: I was not made aware at any time that the cafeteria was being remodeling until I went to use it. They had a shuttle to other hotel but I am sure that was a nightmare. I had a car and drove. I would have booked at one of the other two. This was mid august, so I would suggest calling to check this. Second: I left two bathing suits in room when I checked out. Housekeeping did not turn them in. I called lost and found. They gave me the standard, nothing has turned up but we will check. Unless housekeeping stole them, where would they be.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sonic8899
Write a ReviewReviews (4,669)

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My first experience on walking into the room was to think I haven't seen one that was so dingy in awhile. We were in room 1339, the rest of our group had an identical room next door (1340).

I got over that as our week went by and now think my first negative impression may have been a tad bit driven by problems we had initially getting our room in the first place. We had reserved a Preferred room and had to transfer from Music to Sports to get it. This caused us to get a room with 2 doubles rather than a king for my wife and I.

I didn't care for the decor, the carpet seemed worn, the paint made the room seem like an old Vegas hotel. I think a lot of that had to do with the lighting. Everything was a tan color which seemed dirty at first. At least the bathroom counter top was ok. Oh, and shutting the bathroom door is fun - you have to squeeze into the corner next to the toilet because the door hits you if you stand anywhere else since the bathroom is so small.

However, the beds were fine, the tv was good, we had good water pressure for the shower (which had a tub footing), and we were ok with the room by the end of the week. Still, I think it could use fresh paint and flooring at a minimum.

I'd recommend this as a worthwhile option for families on a budget. Also, the restaurant is closed for refurbishment at this time (Aug 2013).

When you go to the snack bar area you can get your resort mugs refilled for free, of course they don't refill the mugs. They give you throw away plastic cups like McDonald's every time. I hope Disney fixes that, it's super wasteful. The employees weren't bundles of joy either, what happened to service with a smile??? Especially at a Disney resort...

There were always lots of kids in the pool and the water was warm. You do have to use your own towels from the room however. Also, be careful calling downstairs, the phone in our room didn't call the concierge - it called 911 instead... yes I'm serious.

I'd probably be willing to stay again if the right deal came along.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was our third time staying at the All Star Sports Resort. We stayed there from Aug 11 to Aug 14, 2013. We stayed in the preferred building 6, 3rd floor. We had a corner room facing the pool and the adjacent sports themed buildings (basketball). At night, the pool guests were a bit loud. You can hear them all the way up on the 3rd floor.

The price was right for our stay. We didn't go to the theme parks. We stayed here because we got a good rate and wanted to explore the surrounding areas. I was disappointed because we were NOT informed when booking the room the food court was being refurbished. When I checked us in, there was NO mention of the food court being refurbished either. The cast member at the registration desk told us there would be a book inside the room with resort activities. I never found it inside the room. There was a red booklet next to the tv but it didn't contain the resort activities as mentioned at check in. We decided to go to the pool area and ask or read it on their expo board. All Star Sports did provide a shuttle bus to Music or Movies if guests wanted to eat at those food courts. The bus would be about 1 min to a few minutes wait or guests could walk approx. 5 minutes to Music or a few minutes more to Movies and eat at their food courts. We decided to eat off property. Since we were not far from route 192, we drove and found plenty of restaurants and a Publix supermarket to eat and shop. We bought breakfast items and ate in the room. We ate lunch and dinner off property. There is a McDonalds on the way toward route 192 which we opted out because it was busy. We ate at Logan's Roadhouse on 192. The pork chops were salty. The ribs were tough on the outside and tender on the inside. Another time we ate at the Cracker Barrel and the pork chops were dry. Both of these restaurants and more were on route 192 between markers 8-10.

Back to the resort, Value resorts are simple. The beds are FULL not queen. There is ONE vanity sink. Plastic cups are on the vanity counter top. The mini refrigerator in the room was NOT working and were recalled. This was mentioned at the time of check in because I requested a room with a fridge. Luckily, we brought our own cooler to keep milk, orange juice and other items cool. No ceiling fans overhead. No coffee machine in the room. There is one luggage rack, small wall safe, hair dryer and iron board. The bulky AC unit is gone and now in the wall which is great because I always thought it took up a lot of space. There is a small table and 2 chairs in front of a mirror.

I was pleased with my request for a pack n' play (play yard) for my infant/toddler. I recommend bringing your own sheet and a favorite toy. This fit nicely under the coat rack and next to the television drawer combo area.

What makes the All Stars unique is their attention to theme detail on the outside of the resorts. All Star Sports is sports themed. Each building has its special theme, for example building 6 is surf's up. Everything is about swimming or surfing. The next building has giant, oversized tennis rackets and balls. Another has a huge football helmet and football field. This continues throughout the Sports buildings. The super sized themes continue with All Star Music and Movies. Everything is oversized and each building has its gigantic statues, instruments or characters.

Transportation: My first time staying at the All Star Sports, we shared a bus with All Star Music and Movies. I never liked it and didn't stay here for a while. On my 2nd visit, All Star Sports had their own bus service to/from the theme parks and didn't go to the other resorts to pick up guests. I was pretty happy about it but on this 3rd trip I was reminded why I didn't want to return. I was waiting for approx. 15-20 minutes for a bus to downtown disney with my infant/toddler. When the bus pulled up it was packed with people. When we boarded there was a huge line behind us. The driver told the guests there was another bus coming. Then, we went to Music and Movies to drop off/pick up more guests. I think each resort should have its own bus. There were lots of unhappy people waiting for this particular bus at all three resorts. Luckily, we had a car and I didn't take the return bus back. This was a huge factor for us NOT to stay at the All Stars. If the busses share all the resorts, I recommend staying at the Sports because you will be the FIRST picked up and dropped off. If they change and get a bus for each of the All Stars that would be better.

I didn't rate this resort excellent because the food court was being refurbished, the fridge in the room wasn't available and the bus transportation was overcrowded with guests from all 3 All Star resorts, plus the lengthy wait time.

I'm not sure if I would return. I would ONLY return at OFF PEAK times and when they had a really great value price. The room was kept neat and clean at all times. The housekeeping was great. People were friendly on property. The pool side activities were fun.

On a side note, if you are a light sleeper and choose a preferred building make sure to get a high floor facing away from the pool. Activities run until 10pm. Swimming in the pool can go until 11pm. You don't want a room near the elevators either. People come late from the parks or other places and the noise could bother you too.

FYI: I didn't use the fitness center. I don't think there is a fitness center. It it marked terrible by mistake. We didn't use room service since we ate our meals off property. I put average because the food court was being refurbished during our stay.

This room is comfortable for 4 people. A family of 2 adults and 2 children is good. If you are looking for more amenities and queen beds I suggest a moderate room. You pay a bit more but well worth it for some extras!

Room Tip: Preferred buildings and rooms are closest to food and transportation. Choose the top floor away from...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lovethemouse p
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have been to Disney 47 times since 1971. This was another family trip. I have stayed in most of the properties, but never in the Sports. It is less crowded than the other value resorts; the rooms are very nice, as usual. The food court was a pleasure.I don't know why this place was cheaper than the other value properties, but it is not because of quality, it is every bit as nice as any Disney property. The pools are always clean; they aren't chintzy with the soap either, no scrumpy little wafers but a nice bar.The transportation system picks you up FIRST at this resort, and drops you off first! I did not realize that.If you want quiet, get a room that is not preferred. I myself wanted one up front- the feet are tired when you get back at the end of the day, no long walk. Bring your own coffeepot, they used to have them here when they first built these value resorts, but for some reason quit having them.I bring my own coffee too, I have to have some before I move in the morning. One thing I noticed that this property has, and most of the others do not, is easy access to your car while you are staying here- you can park very close to your room. We always drive to the water parks, the buses are never as frequent for those and Blizzard Beach is right down the street. And, the bar tender here makes a MEAN Pina Colada. All in all, an excellent place.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are the ones in the back. If you want a shorter walk at the end of the day, get a prefer...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank professor52
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the All Star Sports resort from July 7-11. The rooms are located in multiple separate buildings around the resort. We resided in the baseball themed part of the resort which has its own pool area. I thought the room was a good size, clean and comfortable.
The main area where the lobby, restaurant (cafeteria), bar, arcade and main pool was rather far and a bit of a hike to get to from where our room was located. This is also the area where the park buses depart from. We did not eat at the resort cafeteria as it was overpriced for the food they offered (junk food). There is a McDonalds nearby (just up the street - almost like it is part of the resort), so we ate breakfast there before embarking to the parks instead.
Note that Blizzard Beach water park and Animal Kingdom are the closest parks to this resort.

Also, if you like going for a swim or hanging out at the pool at 12:30-1:00 AM, you'll have lots of Brazilians to accompany you! If you don't - no worries, the rooms are well sound proofed!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at all the All Star resorts except Sports. Since we had a few boys in the group we gave it a try.
The rooms are clean and updated. I was a bit disappointed when I saw the sign asking to take the towels from the room to be used for the pool as they did not have any in the pool area. We then had to call house keeping to bring us more towels.
Ok so the towel part was no big deal, but the next morning we walked to the dining area for breakfast to find out it was being remodeled. The temporary dining is now where the arcade used to be. They had very few things to choose from. Most of us had a bagle which was stale and tasted old. I also had a yogurt parfait and it was watery. One of the kids threw away his fruit because it was slimy and to top it all off everything was extremely expensive. If I had known the food was that awful I had driven to McDonalds. They also did not have enough tables and chairs for guests to sit. They actually stood on the side with their trays in hand waiting for others to get up so that they could sit down to have their awful breakfast.
We were told by someone that we could catch a shuttle to one of the other All Star resorts to have breakfast in their dining area, however I thought that was an inconvenience and shorten our time at the park.
I am all for the remodeling part and it's great they want to make it better, however they should be better prepared for their guests while doing so.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

On our tenth trip to DW we needed two rooms as the kids are getting bigger. Usually we stay at Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach, although we have stayed at Polynesian and Animal Kingdom. I was nervous about a value resort, but I was so wrong. We totally loved All-Star Sports - the rooms, the themes (absolutely charming), the pool and other amenities - even the food court. You get Disney quality at a fraction of the cost. We're already planning the next trip but will certainly stay at an AllStar resort. Disney quality is Disney quality.

Room Tip: As for a room NOT on the main traffic area - face the parking loot or the woods, not the pool
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Traveler11553
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs Area
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's All-Star Sports Resort? Share your experiences!