“Great and Authentic Dim Sum”
Review of Ming Bistro

Ming Bistro
Ranked #1,079 of 3,860 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 20, 2013

As someone who's grown up on authentic chinese food, including dim sum, my family and I generally look for good chinese food when we're travelling. I'd read the reviews and was eager to try Ming Bistro while on our vacation.

We dined at Ming Bistro for dinner, so I really was expecting to get anything but dim sum given the hour (dim sum is traditionally served and eaten during brunch hours - late morning til early or mid-afternoon). However, when we stepped in, I immediately noticed that EVERY table ordered and was dining on dim sum! So, we did what the locals did, we ordered dim sum, much to my family's delight.

Generally, the dim sum was hot, fresh and very tasty, with the exception of 1 steamer basket of seafood dumpling. Given that we ordered over 10 orders, the 1 being not as good was really not a big deal. For those used to having NYC dim sum, if you order the turnip cakes (lo bak go), don't expect or even ask for oyster sauce - they have none. The shrimp dumplings (ha gau) was truly excellent, as were the shrimp cheung fun and chicken feet (fung zhao).

The place itself is not that large and is pretty basic in appearance. The worst part is that when you walk in, there's a funny smell (kinda reminds me a little of your typical NYC chinese restaurant bathroom cleaner smell), but we just ignored the smell and ate the delicious food.

Service is typical, if you're used to and know about typical service at cantonese restaurants (pretty much what you'd find at most chinese restaurants in NYC Chinatown). Speaking in cantonese to them didn't really make a difference (not that I'd expect it to), but it's part of the deal and so we're ok with it.

Next time we're back in Orlando, we'll be sure to take another drive out to Ming Bistro.

1  Thank ZonaP

Reviewed December 7, 2013

love this place: the food is always fresh and hot. I've never had a bad dish here. Gotta try the dim sum here , it is much better than other places in Orlando. The only drawback is I can't get them to sell me a big bowl of their ginger green onion dip for chicken because they always run out. I've never tasted the ginger green onion dip this good anywhere else in the country.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have tried many dim sum restaurants in Florida. This is the one I felt the best so far and would like visit again next time. Their roast duck taste crispy and delicious as well. The price is reasonable given the food quality. We spent about $15 per person.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was desperate for dim sum and stuck out in Spring Hill with none around me so we made the 2 hour drive to Orlando and plumped for Ming's Bistro. Soon as we pulled up we knew we had found the real deal, if all the other people around you are Chinese families, you know you have hit the motherload. The dim sum was spectacular, the best dumplings I have ever eaten and the buns, so light and fluffy, I was in heaven. We found no problem with the service they were friendly and although busy, very attentive to our needs. We're back in March next year and this will be my first port of call as I am craving the buns!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Cold food pushed around on a cart. A server presented us with a dish of shrimp wrapped in foreskin. What the heck was that. Food was bland and cold. I'll take Panda Express over this place any day. This roundeye was disappointed.