“Very Good Dim Sum”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 13, 2012

If you like dim sum, you'll like this place a lot. They serve dim sum from the traditional carts on Sat and Sun. We used to go here a lot, but it got so crowded and there were only a few tables. (Now we prefer Lam's Garden down the road.) This place is very good, and if you have the time, you should definitely check it out!

Reviewed February 10, 2012

Ming Bistro is patronized principally by Orlando’s Asian community. This may be my own particular prejudice, but that’s why I started going there. I am a non-Asian, American born, who loves Chinese food. It is excellent! But you have to give it a chance. The menus are only partly available in English, some with photos, and the language of the business is definitely not English. But the staff is wonderfully willing to help you understand what’s happening, and if you’re patient, you’ll get the hang of it. The first thing you notice when you come in is the ducks, chickens, and pork hanging up by the cash register. Just like in Chinatown in New York or San Francisco. This is the real deal. Don’t try to order egg rolls. It’s good to go during the day: they have dim sum seven days a week. The steaming carts and trays are brought through the restaurant and you can just point at what you want. Heaven! Try the honey barbecued pork... delicious! Fried shrimp balls... marvelous! Ask what’s good today, or point to something interesting at another table and ask what others are eating. I’m becoming a regular at this place. It’s addicting!

Reviewed February 8, 2012

When this restaurant opened up about 4 or 5 years ago, I rated their dim sum as “the best” in metro Orlando area, especially in comparison to those catering to the tourist business. Being a person with high standard in dim sum quality, this could be equivalent to average Chinese places in San Francisco or New York. They were able to maintain at this level for the first couples years, and my wife and I were a regular customers there whenever we shop in down town Orlando, a 45 minutes drive from our home. Then we noticed the food preparations and tastes started to slide downhill, and each time seemed to be worst than the previous visit. My big disappointment there was with an organized group celebrating Chinese New Year in 2010, and I decided it was not worth a repeated experience the following Chinese New Years. I took my wife there for dinner a few months later and it was again a non-starter. The straw finally broke the camel’s back was this last dim sum brunch in November 2011 when the dishes was not well prepared and tasteless. Earlier this month, when I asked my sister who celebrated 2012 Chinese New Year there this year with the same organized group, she told me that the food was “OK for American food!” There was another Trip Advisor comment before mine with the title “Downward Spiral” which described the situation perfectly.

The wait service had never earned high marks since day one. They were friendly when they first opened, and I would consider the service as average to slightly above. For all those times we ate there since, the service had been spotty, seemed like depending on their individual moods. We noticed that their wait staff had not changed much throughout the years, so labor turnover was not to be blamed. Unless I got reports that they had shown a dramatic turnaround, I would rather do without dim sum than returning to this establishment.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I travel 1 hour from my home in The Villages to have dinner, and lunch, and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent (I'm from NY and know the difference), the service is fine, and the staff is very friendly.

Reviewed August 28, 2011

I chose this restaurant based on Yelp reviews which claimed this to be the best Dim Sum in Orlando. It is located in downtown Orlando in a strip of Vietnamese storefronts. It looked like a dive from the outside, which usually is a good sign as far as Chinese food goes. However, if you are used to Dim Sum in places like New York, Boston or Chicago, Ming Bistro has a ways to go. The food was mostly bland and as it was sitting in the carts, had gotten cold. As the restaurant filled up with mostly Asian diners, they bought out fresh food which tasted better. I liked the shark fin dumplings the best. The shrimp dumplings and shiu mai were just so-so. The barbecue pork buns were coated in so much honey that I had to wash my hands right after reaching for one. The service was friendly, but a little slow. There were only 2 carts, so not a whole lot of choices, but you could also order items directly from the servers. Probably not worth going out of your way for, if you are staying around International Drive or at Disney, but if you've been away from home for awhile and are craving Chinese, I suppose it beats the Asian buffets on I-drive.