“Orlando Best Western Odorous”

Best Western Orlando West
Ranked #233 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
League City, Texas
“Orlando Best Western Odorous”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This stay was the worst in my entire life! We (Myself, my wife and female friend of my wife) arrived around 12:30 pm on July 19, to attend a conference, before normal check-in time but we were accommodated to be assigned a room and take luggage to room. We went to the room and dropped off our luggage with two double beds, then attended the nearby conference the rest of the day. When we went to the room a humidifier was running and we were told was to remove musty odor. We noticed an odor, but believed the hotel staff, and expected the odor to be gone by the time we returned that night.

When we returned about 10:30 that night, we discovered the dehumidifer was removed and the room smelled terrible! We then notified management and was told by night manager (who had just come on duty), he didn't know why dehumidifier was removed. We could not tolerate sleeping in that room. The night manager offered the "handicapped" room, which only had a double bed, with no room for a rollaway bed. By the way, another couple nearby, also described their room as odorous. That meant one of us had to sleep on the floor. We had driven 950 miles to attend the 3 day conference and needed to be awake for the conference the next day. Our female friend ended up sleeping on the floor on a folded over mattress pad and a few blankets. She did not sleep well and her conference attendance was totally wasted in the next afternoon, as she had not slept well. In fact she missed the entire conference from about 3:30 on.

What should have happened?
A. The room should never have been made available until the odor was permanently removed.
B. The night manager could have recommended a few places that we could try for lodging and just cancelled the night stay.

Note: The next night we found a room in the next door Hawthorn suites, for almost the same price. Those rooms were beautiful, clean, and great service.

I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone (unless maybe all available rooms can be shown to be odor free).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

2 Thank Rich R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dryden, NY
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I picked the hotel for its reasonable prices and later noticed its location on a bus route, which later became crucial to the success of my trip. The rooms were clean, and roomy, and the front desk service fast, knowledgeable, and helpful. The hotel restaurant, although not open for dinner, saved me from starvation (induced by traveling US Air). The restaurant's proprietor was charming, welcoming, and cooked breakfast with skill and a hint of Indian cuisine in the home fries. Later that day, as I stood in despair of being able to get from the hotel downtown to see Paul McCartney, and the entire Orlando supply of taxis dried up, the helpful and sympathetic front desk suggested public transit. Two quick bus rides later, I stepped off across the street from the Amway Center, in time to have a quick bite before the concert started. The LYNX buses, by the way, were clean and a bit over air conditioned. The neighborhood seemed perfectly unremarkable, with the Lincoln dealership across the street, and several choices in restaurants within walking distance. Should I visit Orlando again, I will head straight to the BW Orlando West so I can breakfast again at the Celebrity Deli, and thank the management again for saving my trip.

Room Tip: This hotel still has smoking rooms, which I appreciate, and my room by the swimming pool was away fr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Carol C
Hudson Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed there on May 4th and had a great night. The rooms were large and spotless. The reception lady was very pleasant and helpfull. For those that say there isn't any place to eat should drive west on Colonial about three miles and there is more than enough placces to eat such as Chilis, Olive garden, Chinese buffets, Golden corral and others. The price for the motel was reasonable compared to the other ones I checked on. Booking.com also is somewhat cheaper than booking at the motel. The hotel is one mile from Bob Carr Performing arts which makes it handy. If I go back to Orlando that will be the place I will stay. Try it you'll like it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed May 3, 2013

When I first came to the front desk, the lady was very nice and courteous. She asked me whether I wanted a double bed or a king size bed, and other questions to make sure that I was getting the room and service that I need. When I first opened the door to my room I was in awe. The bathroom was very clean and I love the marble-like walls in the shower and the sink. The bed was nice and firm (not too firm) that I did not want to get up the next morning. The TV, fridge, and iron was all working well. Just wish that they had a microwave though. I was really pleased with my stay and would not mind staying there again the next time when I visit Orlando, FL.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Tallahassee, Florida, Usa
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Scary location in a rundown neighborhood. Old building. No restaurants in the vicinity. In-house restaurant did not serve supper. "Poolisde bar" was seedy. TV worked. Room clean. Little hot water in the shower.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Charles M
bestwstorl, Manager at Best Western Orlando West, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
For your reference, the county police headquarters is located on the same block of our hotel, as is a Lincoln car dealership. There is a country club golf course and million dollar houses just across the street from our property. We have several hotel employees that live nearby the hotel, as well.
Venice, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Not really knowing what to expect, I really was pleasantly surprise to check in to a beautiful, well maintained, and friendly hotel. The couple at the front desk were very nice and helped me with directions and getting my berrings around town. The restaurant attached to the hotel called the Deli-Belly was really good and had a nice young lady working there. The pool and cabanna area were clean and very comfortable lounge chairs were available. The room was large, clean and everything worked properly. The entire hotel grounds are surrounded with a large iron fence and we felt very secure at night. The little bar(off the lobby) should be seen to appreciated, it is Disco meets Nascar. We had a great time there.

Room Tip: try to be near pool and bar, less walking more lesiure time.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a pleasant surprise at The Best Western - Orlando West hotel. The front desk service was understanding, professional, courteous, and efficient. The room was spectacular for the value...very spacious, quiet, and the bed was very comfortable. They have a nice little pool just behind the office. Had a great breakfast at the restaurant immediately next door down a short walkway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family