“Friendly”

Ranked #106 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Butler
“Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

Very friendly staff. Average rooms but very clean for the price. Staff was helpful with local adult restaurants, Tommy Bahamas in Port Orlando was recommended and a great choice for adult cuisine.
Less than 2 miles away from Universal Studios with an average of two dollars a person plus gratuity for a taxi ride via contracted company New Way taxi services. I would recommend asking for Eduardo. This gentleman from Brazil was a safe driver and polite. We went out of the way to request him for all of our taxi rides.
Once again, rooms were nice for the price. There were lots of pillows and towels, very large tv's and guest services were excellent.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reykjavik
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

Higly recemented exelent rooms and nice staff specaly karina at the desk and david webber who sells the attraction tickets so nice and helpful both of them they made our stay in usa orlando alot better with there tips and direction
the rooms are clean and fresh breakfast is very good
the only down side is the pool eria is bit small

best regards
Eric and Sandra

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
samjayswal, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Universal Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2011
Dear Guest;

First of all, let me start by apologizing for the delayed response. I just recently stepped into this modern era of communication. Secondly, I want to thank you for completing our Guest Survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again.

If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 407-226-9119.

www.bestwesternuniversal.com
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

The location is great and expect NOTHING FROM FRONT DESK.
for 3 days we attempted to get extra pillows, never enough and finally we had to toss a coin to see who would get the ONE pillow.
The pool is small and wet and surround by a vacant lot of weeds. I can only imagine that they built it for the sake of advertising a pool.
We forgave the poor service last November but not this time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Pierre P
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stayed here for just one night before checking into a nice resort at Walt Disney World, and it was adequate and sufficient. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people staying in Orlando for an extended period of time, but it is great for a night or two.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank USCTrojansFan23
Lutz, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

We generally like Best Westerns. They are usually close to our goals, have as many amenities as you could ask, have clean rooms, and best of all---a tremendous value.

We stayed two nights for the Grand Opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which was a completely botched experience from a management perspective, unless you consider avoiding an outright riot as a "success"...but that's another story.

Best Western Universal had all of those qualities...but they weren't without their own shortcomings.

What this place did RIGHT :

- Awesome location. Like the other reviews indicate, you are easily within a 8-12 minute walk from the front entrance of Universal. The only obstacle is crossing a major road, but there is a crossing signal that worked perfectly.
- Good Price. Most of their competition charges well over $100 a night. We came in well under that with our AAA discount.
- Service. Attentive and caring counter personnel. They were all pleasant and easy-going at any hour.
- Clean room. It was spotless as a matter of fact. Even the restroom was spotless, was well stocked, and worked perfectly..but...
- Large "mini" fridge AND a microwave.
- Queen beds were actually queens
- Plenty of restaurant choices. I recommend the Orlando Ale House, but get there early - it's popular with the locals, evidently.

What the place did WRONG:

- Carpet odor. The carpet was BRAND NEW, but it had some sort of textile odor that couldn't be overcome...even with a fresh can of Lysol. (We were too tired to deal with it, and you got over it within about 30 minutes...but this was just dreadful!). We AZZumed most of the rooms had new carpet and therefore would also stink...and we weren't in the room most of the time, so we let it go...FAIR WARNING!!
- Television. Okay, I understand the cost of upgrading from standard to HD sets, but it has been FIVE YEARS already. Having an SD tube set is sad enough, but it also had terrible, no, completely awful reception! (no exaggeration here...I could have done better with a set of rabbit ears). Most of the channels were, in fact, not viewable.
- Alarm clock...tricky switches kept shorting the alarm volume = untrustworthy.
- Pillows. They were..uh...short? Seriously, they were almost square...and worse, there were only three per bed...suffice to say, that was rather odd.
- Air Conditioner. Although a newer unit, it was loud enough to wake us when turning off and on. (this happened twice to a known light sleeper, so take it for what it's worth. We all agreed it was loud, but some of us were able to sleep through it.)

I don't wish to be too harsh, however. Expectations should be somewhat low, but the carpet odor and the TV reception were inexcusable. For the second time in two months, I've run into a hotel chain that was trying to do too much and failing at the basics. Simplify folks. We don't necessarily need sewing kits or other odd luxuries. Give us the clean room first!

I'm somewhat torn on a recommendation...if it weren't for the odor, I think they would be good enough to warrant their price. Unfortunately, you may want to look next door...or see what the reviews are like in a few months. I expect an improvement soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Max M
Dear Felipe A:

Let me start by thanking you for completing our Guest Survey regarding your stay at our property.

I apologize for not responding to this survey much earlier however, I just recently joined the new modern era of communication.

I am happy to inform you and the future guests that the new carpet smell from the glue is no longer there. The hotel just recently completed a multi-million dollars renovations to the guest rooms and the public area. The hotel also replaced the old tube television with 32" flat screen plasma Television to usher in the modern technology that our guest come to expect. Furthermore, the guest rooms now have 4 pillows per bed for total 8 pillows per room. I hope this resolves the additional pillows request from our guest. There are also additioal pillows available at the Front Desk if the need arises from our guest.

We hope to see you again.

Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed here one night, the room was clean and had no bad smells ( non smoking room ) It had a safe, microwave, and refridgerator. The beds seemed clean and were comfortable enough except that they were a lttle firm for me, but I think all hotel beds are that way. There was no gift shop or restaurant only vending machines and a game room . There were gift shops and places to eat within walking distance tho, also a drug store . The staff were very nice.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Let me start by thanking you for completing our Guest Survey regarding your stay at our property and I do apologize for not responding earlier. I have recently joined Tripadvisor to improve the guest expereince.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2010

This place was a service disaster. They lost our reservation twice before we arrived. The staff including the manager was so rude we made a complaint with the 1800 number for the hotel chain and left to stay at another Best Western. Do NOT stay at this hotel unless you enjoy verbal abuse!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010
3 Thank tiffalex1
Dear Guest:

Let me start by thanking you for completing our Guest Survey.

I apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I deeply regret for the reservation error and have spoken to our main reservation center to ensure thta such errors do not take palce in the future. I strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying.

My staff and I were not able locate your reservation and I regret that our main reservation center was also not able to find your reservation in our system. We have several other Best Western Hotels here in Orlando and each of the property are owned and operated by different entities.

I was glad that you were able to find a room at a nearby property and I hope that you will give us an another opportuniey to serve you.

Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your visti to our fabuluos city of Orlando, and I hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 407-226-9119.