“Disappointed”

Neighborhood: Florida Center
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointed”
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Went to Nile last night. The food was not impressive to put it mildly. Yes, it is a matter of taste and maybe it is a great Ethiopian food, but on my absolute food taste scale it was very low.

What bothered me the most though was what happened after we ordered. My friend ordered a sampler plate ($13.95) and I ordered lamb (13.95). The waitress said she will put it all on one plate so we could share. Mistake.

The food arrived in one huge plate. My portion was the size of all the other sampler dishes. I did not really understand why did did I have to pay full price for a sampler portion size dish when my friend for the same money got 3 kinds of meat, a small salad and some vegetarian samplers. BTW, I'm not even sure if I got the cabbage I ordered on a side, at least I was not able to taste anything close to cabbage on the plate.

As a result after paying for a dinner at Niles almost $50 we had to go and grab another dinner not to be hungry in an hour.

3 Thank msav2000

Columbia, MO
“I've had Ethiopian in 3 states and this...”
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I've had Ethiopian in 3 states and this is definately one of the best. We had the meat combo and chicken wat. Everything was phenomenal. Definately the place to go for a unique dining experience.

orange county, ca
“You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good this is”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My only prior Ethiopian experience, the food was too spicy. I asked for a mild beef dish and was advised to to get the Beef Alicha, beef w/ butter sauce. It tasted like a stew, very mild, and came with this wonderful side dish, I think it was cabbage, I couldn't get enough of! Hubby got the veggie combo which also included the cabbage. You eat with your hands, so this would be popular with kids.

New York City, New York
“One of the best”
Reviewed May 21, 2010

We live in Orlando part of the year. This has become one of our favorites in town. Don't let the location discourage you--this place is good. The food is authentic, on par with Zed's, Meskerem, or Dukem in DC (the homes of quality Ethiopian in the US). The restaurant is family owned, and they and the staff are very warm and welcoming to guests. Try the vegetarian platter for 2, doro wat (a mildly spicy chicken stew) and ask for the coffee service. There is usually no wait for a table. Prices are on par with other Orlando restaurants--it's a tourist town remember.

Orlando, Florida
“Absolute Gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed May 20, 2010

I've been going to the Nile ever since it first opened and you can really tell they put every penny back into the restaurant.

So this restaurant is stuck in this hidden back strip mall behind the fuss and mess of International Drive touristy stuff. Do not judge the book by its cover.. this place is totally worth it.

Food is amazing, you simply must try the Gored-gored (I think that's how its spelled) and try it RAW, its really good. The Azifa lentil appetizer is also really good.

If its your first time get the combination platters, we usually get one veg and one meat every time we go.

The only thing is I wish they had unique Ethiopian deserts. Last I checked they are the very pedestrian cheescake, icecream, etc.