“Good service, crappy food”
Review of Il Mulino

Il Mulino
Ranked #355 of 3,849 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Very attentive service from the wait staff, but food was cold and not as described from server. Loud in the dining room; could not hear the person one seat away from me and the dining room was not full.

There are newer reviews for Il Mulino

Reviewed December 18, 2010

During a trip last week to Disney, we got a sitter so we could have a date night and chose this restaurant. We were seated right away, and noted how cold the room was (it was 40 degrees outside). We asked the server if the room could be warmed and he went to ask, but it never got warmer. The dining room is very loud, but this was tolerable.
Our server was very friendly, bringing an excellent eggplant appetizer, cured meats and warm bread immediately. I was impressed.
We ordered the meatballs and the trattoria salad, and when they came, I quickly became unimpressed. The meatballs, while not chef boy-ar-dee bad, had very little flavor and a mushy quality. The salad was just a basic lettuce and shredded carrot affair with a few toasted pine nuts on top..the dressing was very bland.
I had planned to get housemade pasta and so asked which of the pastas were made on premises. Only the gnocchi, linguine and bucatini are. I chose the rigatoni con funghi on the waiter's suggestion, substituting the housemade linguini. What came was simply awful. Plain linguini, which tasted like it came from a box, a total of 5 mushroom slices (mostly button mushrooms, one slice of shitake) and several vinegar pepper slices, sitting in a thin puddle of gray liquid (since the mushrooms were clearly never seared, but instead steamed). I did not see any sign of the truffle oil that was supposed to be in it. One taste brought only vinegar peppers..so overpowering that even the waiter agreed.
To say this was bad was an understatement..I was shocked. I sent it back and ordered the carbonara. This was unseasoned pasta with slices of unrendered, fatty italian bacon in a thin, white sauce...no onion..no egg or cheese to me seen, but downright delish compared to the other dish. We also ordered the tortellini, which was okay, but the Olive Garden is better and half the price. The wine our waiter had suggested was very good and he was very attentive to our needs.
Dessert was flourless chocolate cake...a delicious relief after the main dishes.
My feeling is that if you specialize in italian food, especially housemade pasta ( which I am starting to doubt), it should be wonderfully done. There should be fresh flat-leaf parsley, onions and garlic, slow cooked sauces..all to showcase the pasta. None of this was present here. I REALLY wish I had looked at these reviews before making reservations here.

Reviewed December 1, 2010

Excellent! Wonderful service. Wonderful food. Expensive, but loved the meal. Usually, my husband and I dine at this restauurant, but when we went last week we took the kids as well. LOVE this restaurant.

Reviewed December 1, 2010

I echo the concerns of other reviewers about the overpriced, mediocre food and noisy environment. The reason I'm giving one star instead of 2 or 3 is due to an unfortunate incident. Our company hosted a business celebration dinner in a private room. The tab was $140 per person (thousands of dollars for a small event and a very ordinary meal - your local Olive Garden has better Italian food). After the dinner we realized we'd left three gift bags behind. These were hidden under a clothed materials table in the private dining area. When we returned to retrieve them, we discovered over $1000 of electronics and gift cards had been stolen from the bags. We have no way of knowing whether the theft was by wait or cleaning staff, but Disney has strict procedures for staff turning over items left behind to security to be logged and locked. These procedures were not followed at this restaurant. Management's response was to offer a free dinner for two, an offer we surely would never take them up on knowing the security issues and the quality of the food. Very glad to be done with this place, and thankful the theft was only of gifts, and not any clients' wallets. We do take responsibility for accidentally leaving the gift bags behind, but diners beware.

1  Thank MaineBiztraveler
Reviewed October 25, 2010

My husband, mother-in-law and two kids and I ate here for dinner on a Thursday evening at 7:45 pm. We had reservations and there was no wait for our table. Service was fine, food was ok, but nothing to go back for. Our biggest challenge was the noise level. The place has very high ceilings and everything echos. The restaurant was full and so noisy that I had to yell to talk to my husband sitting next to me. I couldn't yell loud enough for my kids across the table to hear me. So we basically ate in silence surrounded by so much noise I was wishing I had ear plugs. So, if you go, be prepared to yell or just not talk.