“Overrated”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The service was great and I was very impressed with how accommodating they were to a 3 year old. The only issue I had was the price! By no means do I have a problem dropping a good amount of money on dinner, but this place was not worth it. Neither the food nor ambience was worth the $200 bill we got at the end for three adults and 1 toddler. Although I can't say the food wasn't delicious, I have had meals just a good, if not better at chain restaurants such as Carrabba's or even Olive Garden for half the price. I understand that this is Disney, so I should expect to pay a little more than the average price for everything, but the prices here were quite exorbitant!

We went there in the hopes to finally get a decent meal on our vacation, looking for some good Italian. In particular, I had a craving for eggplant parmigiana (which they do not serve). In the end, I settled on the chicken parmigiana at $30 a plate, which included no sides of pasta or salad. I ordered a small side of pasta to go with it at $10, making an average meal $40!

Overall, there was nothing wrong with the place other than the prices. Even if I was looking for a nice, romantic night out, I would not choose this restaurant.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We had dinner here twice, during our Disney visit. The first night (3/7) was wonderful!!! Only 2 adults and a perfect evening...food and service. We recommended this when the rest of family arrived. We attended with 4 adults and 2 children (ages 8 and 10), on 3/9. Service was awful, food was acceptable. Service was so slow we could/did not even wait for complimentary Limoncello. No excuse as restaurant was not half full. Seems this is a "hit or miss" venue.

1  Thank ATL777_7
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We were looking for a nice Italian restaurant for dinner while staying at Disney, and saw il Mulino, located in the Swan Hotel, had some solid ratings, so we decided to make a reservation for the two of us. We arrived a few minutes early and were seated right away, at a table for two but in an awkward location right next to a moveable screen that separated rooms. We quickly were brought bread/rolls and oil, and our server was pleasant. One observation was the noise - even without the restaurant being full, it was quite loud. By the time we left, it was getting hard to carry on a conversation, especially with some of the larger tables nearby.

As for the food, we started off with the Polpette al Forto (Italian Meatballs), which were good (but there were only 3). Next, my husband tried the Tortellini in Brodo soup, meat tortellini in chicken broth. Think small tortellinis in a very basic clear broth. Not great, not bad.

For dinner, I had Manicotti (with ricotta & spinach) and my husband had the Pollo Fra Diavolo, which was spicy red sauce, chicken and sausage. My meal was very good, with the red sauce complimenting the mix of ricotta and spinach. Unfortunately, my husband's meal was a disappointment, as it was not at all what he was expecting. The meat was cheap tasting and in small quantity, and most of the plate was consumed by a vegetable mix that was unattractive and unflavorful. Definitely not a recommended meal...

We did not have any dessert. As for the price, it's definitely not a top-tier Italian restaurant, but you pay a heavy price so we did not feel the value was strong. We would not eat there again.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

There are not many real good culinary experiences at Disney. They all seem to be just okay or somewhat less than standard. A weekend dinner here was a pleasant surprise.

We were scheduled for a rather late dinner, but showing up just at opening allowed us to get in a bit earlier. We were seated promptly, and our waiter Guiseppe greated us and took our drink orders. Menus were given and the specials explained quite efficiently. Our drinks arrived shortly and we were ready to order ... well, almost.

My wife ordered the tuna carpaccio for an appetizer. It was wonderful! A generous portion served over a bed of greens. My first course was the fried calamari. I ordered it because I like it, and to also see how they did it. Well, it was lightly breaded, not greasy and a huge portion! Holy moley how am I going to eat all of that! I did!

My wife enjoyed the manicotti for her main course, and it was pretty much standard fare except that it may have had some spinach added to it to give it a slightly green color. I hope that is what it was! Anyway it was good. I couldn't decide between the pappardelli special and the shrimp risotto, so Guiseppe offered to bring half portions of each. Well, when they arrived they didn't seem like half portions! A whole lot of food, and after that appetizer, well, I left some risotto. I thoroughly enjoyed both my meals. No dessert for us!

The atmosphere is noisy, but we were out on the fringes, and it was early, so it was not too bad. The decor is warm, open and very nice. I have read other Tripadvisors talk about how this restaurant did not live up to its New York counterpart. Not sure about that, but I found the food to be better than average and a bright spot for dining at Disney. The prices? Well, it is Disney, and you expect to pay more.

As a side note we went to the bar the following evening and had a great,fun time. The bar and this restaurant was a bright spot for us at this mediocre hotel.

I would certainly return here again.

1  Thank BenGruda
Reviewed March 24, 2014

During our recent stay at the Swan at Disney World we had the opportunity to dine at Il Mulino which is located in the hotel. We started out we appetizers that were very good. Personally had a meat and cheese tray. The menu Offered a variety of Pasta, Chicken and Veal. Steaks were also offered. I had the Veal Saltimbocca which was very good. The price range was reasonable compared to the other places to eat at Disney. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.