“Great real Italian food!”

Maggiano's Little Italy
Ranked #69 of 4,083 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I ate here with my family on Christmas Eve while on holidays in Orlando.
It's a beautiful restaurant, lovely interior and comfortable seating. I have a 7 year old and she was made to feel like a little princess by our waitress.
The menu is traditional, it had plenty of choice and we were delighted with the seafood range. I found eating in Orlando a challenge as we do not eat fast food and that seemed to be the only choice there. Magiannos was excellent. Huge portions, great wait staff and quick service on what I'm sure was a very busy night. I had lasagne and it was excellent. A big portion that I was forewarned about, so I skipped starter....and dessert! The kids portion was a little big but delicious also. My husband had the seafood special and he cleaned his plate too. It's a great spot for real food, but be warned, the portions are huge, so be hungry!!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,615)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Heard much about Maggiano's over the years, but had never been since I-Drive is tourist central and dining out there can be an ordeal between the traffic and the parking, etc. (The front desk will validate your NINE dollar ticket for the garage, btw) Anyway, my uncle loves this restaurant and has been there many times, so when he was visiting over the holidays, we made a plan to dine there. First of all, this restaurant is large and loud! When we made reservations, we noted that we had a large party and a birthday to celebrate, and were placed at a table adjacent to one of the aisles. I honestly don't know if they considered this one of their better tables or not. The whole dining room was packed. We opted for the family style dining, so our meal included three appetizers, four entrees, and two desserts - all in unlimited portions. I wasn't impressed with the wine selection and found the sangria a bit overly sweet, so I settled for a Peroni. The trick to eating here, apparently, is choosing dining partners whose palates you trust, since you'll be sharing all of the courses. We seemed to end up with a mixture of perfectly average dishes and then a few quite exciting ones I'd readily order again. We got the chopped salad to start. Then the bruschetta, which some found a little soggy, but I thought it was very satisfactory. Our final appetizer was the fried zucchini with lemon aioli sauce - everyone loved this, but be sure to ask for extra sauce! Do not get tricked into ordering the Rigatoni D! I don't know why everyone is pushing this as the best thing on the menu, but it is a boring, almost flavorless heaping of big, hollow pasta. The sauce may be good, but it all seeps to the bottom of the bowl, so you don't even really get to taste it. And this was after our waiter helpfully tossed the pasta for us, attempting to coat it even a bit. The eggplant parmesan was standard, decent. We ordered the peppercorn-crusted sirloin and while the balsamic cream sauce was good, there was no pepper in sight. The steak itself was...soft. I don't know how else to describe it. Buffet-quality. The saving grace was the chicken saltimbocca. Delicious! I don't even like onions and I still ate several pieces. It was supposed to come with an angel hair pasta, however. We definitely never saw that. Tasted like chicken parmesan in wine sauce with prosciutto. I'm going to try to make it at home. Dessert was an apple crostada (basically an apple tart with some vanilla ice cream) and nonna's toasted pound cake, which our waiter talked up a bit and I'm so glad he did. I would never order something as boring as pound cake for dessert, but if you're unaware, "nonna" in Italian means "grandmother" and they don't put that word in front of just anything. This lovely cake was sort of caramelized, then smothered in homemade hot fudge sauce and fried bananas. A perfect finale. Now that I've experienced this family style smorgasbord, I know what I like and don't like there and don't have to waste my time or my stomach on the sub-par menu items. Like, why do they even give you bread when you go here? Who seriously wants the bread? The theme of the whole event is gluttony, as the portions are unending and I suppose that way you feel like you got your money's worth. They run the place like a tight ship, waiters pacing the room, refreshing plates, bringing you more more more food. It's all part of the charm, so long as quality doesn't get sacrificed for quantity, which it does occasionally. Order carefully and you might just have a great meal. Oh, and they did bring out a little candle in one of the tarts to acknowledge the birthday girl. The waiter took a horrible photo for us though, completely cutting out one of our party. Can't win 'em all!

1  Thank Katie H
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Good family spot. We had a party of 10, and they have many round tables for large parties. We ate a la carte rather than family-style. It was great.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We initially attempted to eat here on a Thursday night, but were put off by an hour and a half wait. Two days later, we made reservations, and got in as soon as we arrived. The restaurant has a great atmosphere, and our booth was spacious and comfortable. Our server wasn't anything special by any means- he rarely checked our table, and didn't smile once, but looking at the other servers, the majority of the waitstaff seems friendly and prompt, and I didn't want to review this restaurant solely on one poor waiter. The food arrived in a decent amount of time, and both of us were surprised by the large portion sizes. It was hot and fresh, and both of us left full and very happy with how the food tasted. We didn't have the chance to order desert, but the ones we saw pass by our table seemed delicious and I'd be anxious to try it next time we visit. If you have a hankering for Italian, this is definitely a good place to stop!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Did not enjoy it at all. The food was marginal, service was slow and the management was out to lunch.

1  Thank ConnecticutVactioner