“Just what I was looking for”

WorldMark Kingstown Reef
Ranked #10 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Just what I was looking for”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My needs were basic, a place in the sun for a week; some sort of kitchen so I didn't always have to run out to eat; a decent pool area; easy access to restaurants, etc. in the evening. I wanted some time away from work and was travelling solo (don't knock it unitl you try it!).
I read several other reviews and was slightly worried, but for the price, I went for it. It was not a mistake. Many of the comments I make below are in response to those reviews.
First, I got there, shortly after noon and my room was already available. The woman at the front desk (I forgot to get names this trip) was very personable. I had questions and she answered them all. As I headed to my room, I met up with some cleaning staff. They took the time to make sure I got to my unit and talked with me the entire time. I would see them again over the next few days and they always were smiling and friendly.
The unit I reserved was the hotel with a partial kitchen. Though the kitchen area was smaller than expected (I have always gotten a full kitchen, so I was spoiled), it was enough to make do. I had two double beds, a balcony, a Vizio flat screen (I only mention as others stated it was outdated) and a decent size bathroom. Now I will add, for two people this would have been comfortable. For four people, which the room is listed as max, it would have been very tight. However, my thought on that is SPEND the money on another unit or a bigger one!!! I thought the furniture was in keeping with the many other exchange and all inclusive resorts that I have stayed and in no way did I think it was unclean. I have a slight phobia about hotel rooms (I always take slippers while traveling) but never once in my mind did I think about wiping down the room. I even examined the dishes, microwave and refrigerator. I was very pleased with its condition.
Speaking of the room, I did have a safe, there were no doors on the TV cabinet, and yes, you had to primarily sit on the bed to watch TV, but I believe the assumption is that you are not there to watch TV. There was a table and chairs, which could easily be moved into the center of the room, if it was that important. They did supply soap and nothing more, but I don't go on vacation for free shampoo, conditioner and lotion. If you need that, stay in a true hotel. Same with the cleaning, I was fine exchanging my towels once during the week. If you want daily cleaning, stay at a hotel. I was happy that I knew no one else was in my room all week. Lastly, room security was fine. I came back on the trolley late many nights and the resort was well lite. In addition, access to my room required one to pass through two key carded doors. There was also security walking around the property.
As I stated, my intention was sun and relaxation, so the pool area was my main concern. It was very well kept, from the grounds to the pools themselves. As I spent nearly every day, morning to evening there, I can tell you that the staff was always washing down chairs and tables, as well as the walking surfaces. The pools were cleaned on a regular basis. As most people are there to visit parks, I had the pool to myself on some days. When others were there, the rules seemed to go out the window, (no floats in pools, no kids unattended in pool or hot tubs, etc.) One woman even put her kids in the hot tub and told them to stay there while she went to their room to make lunch. The same family brought numerous rafts, noodles and beach balls to the pool, then left them there many nights. As the pool is not monitored, nothing was said, but it is disappointing that people can't monitor themselves. On the other hand, I saw people in the pool early in the morning and they allowed people in the pools and hot tubs well after closing. I think this was alright as long as they didn't disturb the resort. As to the fitness room off the pool area, it was very clean, except for someone who would get water in a paper cups after working out and then throw it in the floor (cause the garbage was only 5 ft. away). There was a very nice TV mounted and just the right amount of equipment for a resort that assumes you won't be working out every day. The grills were located just outside the pool area. I again saw the staff washing them down and cleaning off the racks. I used them nearly every day for lunch, as did many other families.
On the day I was leaving, I was able to store my luggage in a room off the lobby until my shuttle pick up. I was able to sit in the area near the pool where the restaurant once was and even change my clothes in the nice big bathrooms off the lobby. Again the staff was incredibly helpful and courteous. Just an FYI, I didn't see it until I was leaving. Any leftover foods and supplies can be left in a container in the lobby. The items would then be donated. I thought that was a nice touch.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I accomplished what I set out to do. If I were ever to return to Orlando for an actual "visit the parks" vacation, I would definitely stay here again.
On other thing, yes, you have to pay for wi-fi. As you do at many better resorts, as it is secured. I used it daily and never had any problems with service.

Room Tip: I chose the hotel with partial kitchen, it just has a sink, fridge and microwave, but served its pur...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Stormie71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms and kitchens. Plenty of space with children. the pools were lovely and the whole site was well maintained and very friendly and helpful staff. Also offer tennis courts and area for volleyball and games room. BBQ's also provided. The hotel was a little distance from local grocery stores, but the I trolley stop just outside of the hotel was only 3 stops away. Really good location for SeaWorld, Universal Studios, and Disney, but would be easier to access if you had a car which we didn't although the staff were happy to arrange taxis and they do offer transport at a cost to Epcot, from where you can then travel to other Disney parks. Guest services open every morning so you can arrange tickets to all major parks and other attractions. It was definitely a quieter location on International Drive, but ideal for families with young children (ours were 10 and 7). Only negative is that it you had to travel on I ride to any restaurants as there weren't any within walking distance and the I ride gets very busy in the evenings. A great place to stay - didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: Any rooms above ground level are better as the outside space is not very private.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicky D
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Kingston Reef was wonderful! The location was perfect for us. Close enough to Disney yet away from the super busy-ness of Orlando. The staff was super friendly and professional. The only trouble we had was our keys were mis-programmed when we first arrived. We didn't even have to go fix the problem, they were on it and had the keys brought to us. This was the great customer service we have come accustomed to at Worldmarks. The "heated" pools were actually warm and room was clean and really nice. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013
Grand Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Our family of four spent one week here in a one bedroom apartment. It was a wonderful week!
The apartment was fine for our needs but I think a two bedroom would be better for older kids (ours are 10 and 5). The kitchen was small but incredibly well supplied! There are free to use washers and dryers on select floors, pool towels, dishwasher, 24 hour front desk, 2 heated pools and two whirlpool hot tubs, free parking, very close to grocery stores, restaurants, shopping and theme parks. There are no in room safes but the front desk has dual key safes that are free to use. Wireless Internet is available for a fee.
There is no longer an on site restaurant and the pool bar is closed-hopefully they will reopen this option soon.

We had a rental car but there was a bus line that had a stop in front of the resort.
There was no housekeeping during our stay but we could exchange linens anytime and we were asked to remove our own garbage and recycling. We were also able to ask for more dishwasher detergent and laundry detergent at no charge. There is also a computer with printer and Internet in the main lobby that is free to use. There is a desk with park and area information that is staffed until noon each day, they helped us with directions and made a phone call on our behalf and were generally very helpful. The front desk staff was also very friendly and helpful. Check in and check out was a breeze!

My only complaint was the security of the resort, it is not a gated property and the buildings have entrances from the parking lots which is easily accessible from International Dr. I think card access entries from the parking lot doors would be a positive improvement. Our apartment was right at the top of the stairs and it felt a little exposed and we had pizza flyers stuck in our door on two occasions.

Overall it was a wonderful place and we will go back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank vacationanually
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I spent a week in Orlando at the resort; the unit was small with only a partial kitchen. However, we had everything we needed: dishes, microwave, coffee pot and toaster and nearby washer & dryer.

The grounds and pool were lovely. The resort is close to SeaWorld and the convention center, and 2 outlet malls. Great location for enjoying area near Disney.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We found this hotel to be a good location. We had a car, so were able to get around. We shared a front doors (main door) with someone else, we never saw them. We had 2 double beds. A kitchen, not a lot of utensils. And a great large bathroom, and a balcony. This was more than adequate for us. Maybe would have been a bit cramped for 4 adults. The pool area was nice and quiet.
Washing facilities were free (along near the elevator).
We only really slept and ate breakfast at the hotel and spent the rest of the time being tourist at the attractions.
It seemed to be pretty quiet when we were there, nobody checking who was going in and out.
We did have an enjoyable stay. Would go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kosconli
Anchorage, AK
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were lucky enough to get a combination of rooms here after having to leave Sand Pebble on Treasure Island due to the filth there. The rooms here are clean, large and comfortable. The staff are helpful and it has been a great experience. We had to move between rooms due to late reservations, but when another opened up they helped us minimize the moves from 2 down to 1. The 2 BR unit has a huge second BR with 2 double beds and even it's own fridge.
While we had our hearts set on being on the beach, Sand Pebble was just awful. I can't believe the difference here. There is NO comparison. For Orlando I would definitely recommend this resort. Close to all of Disney and shops - it's on International Drive. The pool area is pleasant, hot tub, lots of seating and shaded tables.
Great vacation spot.

Room Tip: No food on site, but everything you need in the kitchen. We don't have young kids, pool is grea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family