“Home Away From Home”
Review of Vista Cay

Vista Cay
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I selected Vista Cay for its close proximity to Islands of Adventures and a conference we were attending. We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo that was bright and filled with all the amenities we needed: full kitchen, washer & dryer, 2 bathrooms. It was very quiet with a nearby Publix and Walgreens. The staff was very accommodating and I want to especially thank the housekeeping staff who returned my phone and charger to the front desk after I had checked out. I was able to make arrangements through Fed Ex and have my phone back in hand within a couple of days. I will definitely plan to stay at Vista Cay for all my future visits to Orlando.

4  Thank Loretta R
Write a ReviewReviews (2,075)

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Booked Vista Cay through Destination America. We got 2 weeks accommodation and flights from Edinburgh for £480 each which is very very good. 7 adults stayed here. There was 2 double bedrooms, 1 twin room and a sofa bed. Apartment had a washing machine, tumble dried, all kitchen amenities and a pc.

As we never hired a car we relied on taxis back and forth from I. drive but being 7of us it was about 1 dollar each. We used publix nearly everyday and got piZza from NYPD pizza parlour which was good. Ideal if you are travelling in a group, would be better if we hired a car but only a small setback.

• Stayed: May 2011
8  Thank Kaaygirl
Reviewed January 15, 2012

stayed here was really nice .we rented a 2 bedroomed apartment and it was plenty big enough ,no complaints really ,also good location with a nearby publix

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank suga_8
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Vista Cay, a spacious and well furnished, full kitchen with stove with oven side by side refrigerator, dishwasher, and dryer, all of large size, comfortable for the 08 people we were, conodminio quiet, great location easy access to parks, shopping malls and markets, the condominium has a Wallgreens and a Chinese restaurant, a few meters is a Publix supermarket and a pizza place that delivers orders in the condominium. Definitely recommend. Although it was under the sofas with retractable dust accumulation, the more that is irrelevant for the rest of the apartment was all very clean.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2012

The place was clean and tidy, but when I arrived I asked about housekeeping to be told that this was at extra charge about $63 per day. I had been told this was included before I travelled. Two days cleaning arranged by tour rep, but the sheets were never changed for the 17 day stay and the bath never cleaned. Towels put in washer and dryer by maid and then left for me to fold. Reception too far away so had to cope with noisy neighbours upstairs and had small flys or spiders all over the kitchen so you had to be careful where you put your food. Had to provide your own toilet rolls and dishwasher tablets and make your own bed. As I said if you don't want a rest and want it like home then this is for you. I go on holiday for a rest and want housekeeping so if I had know about this before I booked I would not have booked this place. Disney was just off the Expressway 528/Interstate 4 which connect so that was good and Universal was at the other end, but it is off the beaten track and not many shops about. You have publix just off the car park which is good, but more expensive than walmart. You definitely need a car if you stay here as I didn't see many buses running along Univeral Blvd. It was nice that you had a telephone in the room, which there was no charge for calls in the area, did get some of the marketing calls while I was there but just put the phone down, and there was unlimited wireless internet access. Never used the pool, so not sure what that is like. It is on a gated community and they were always locked which you needed to enter a code to enter. One of the exits the gate wouldn't open so when I went to see about the housekeeping that didn't turn up, thats right didn't turn up, I told them about the gate and by the next day it was working. You also don't have keys to your door they are codes which was handy as you didn't have to worry about loosing cards or keys. You just had to remember to press the lock button on the key pad when you left on a morning and also lock the door on a night. If you stay make sure that, if you can, take a pillow with you as they are waffer thin and there was only 2 on the king size bed.

Room Tip: Top floor would be better as you don't have to worry about neighbour noise from upstairs and ask...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank supermickey78
insiderselect, Manager at Vista Cay, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

We appreciate our guests feedback, as we always strive to improve our customer service and quality of accommodations. It is obvious that the proper research on this type of accomdation was probably not done, as I am sure that guests understand that a "Self Catering" accomodation means that there is no daily services as a hotel. Vista Cay Resort is a Luxury Condo-Resort, and thus does not operate will all services that a hotel normally offers; The extra charge indicated on this review is not correct: due to the size of these units between 1,500 and 2,300 Sq. Ft. of living space with Dining / Living Rooms and fully equipped kitchens, there is a charge of $75 per "Stay" not per day, and it is a "Departure Cleaning Fee" only for any stays that are less than 5 nights or less; for all stays over 6 nights, the resort absorbs the cost. The information found on our web site and reservations is very clear indicating that if the guest requires daily cleaning as an optional service, the resort can schedule this for a $30 per clean, based on the guest's needs. We recommend that any guest booking any resort, should conduct their research of services prior to booking to avoid any misunderstandings.
The Management

Reviewed January 11, 2012

We booked a 3-night stay at Vista Cay, Orlando in early January for a quick tour of the parks in the middle of our Florida beach holiday. What a find!
The location on Universal Blvd is just behind I-Drive - close enough to access the eateries but without the 24hr traffic jams. It's half way between Universal Studios and Sea World, just 5-10 mins from both, so could not be better situated.
Check-in was very smooth and courteous and we were pleasantly surprised to hear we'd been upgraded from a condo to an exec town house. The standard of accommodation was just stunning - excellent facilities and decoration throughout - the photos don't lie. We even had our own drive right by our front door. This was amazing value.
A quick recommend too for their "room service". When we were too tired to venture back out one night we booked an excellent take-away meal from a good choice of local restaurants, delivered on time right to our door.
If you're looking for a bit more space for the family than your average hotel rooms, Vista Cay comes 100% recommended.

Room Tip: Just be sure you're good at climbing stairs!
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed here Jan 1st-3rd while in Orlando for the Capital One Bowl game (GO GAMECOCKS!). Our party included my husband, son (8), mother & myself so we needed at least 2 bedrooms. We stayed in a 3-bedroom 'premium' suite for $180/night plus taxes, resort fee, etc. Overall charge for 2 nights was just over $400 so the taxes & resort fee are reasonable. Much cheaper that paying for 2 separate rooms elsewhere and taking a chance on getting adjoining rooms or even rooms that are close together which hotels will NEVER guarantee. Be aware that if you stay here less than 4 nights, you will be charged an additional 'cleaning fee' of $75.00. This fee is not included in the total when you make a reservation although it is disclosed. Not really buried in fine print but some folks may not notice it. But even with that included, we would have paid as much or more for 2 separate rooms elsewhere.

Check-in is at 4pm. Although it was almost 5pm when we arrived, our unit was 'not ready' and we were told it would probably be another hour before we could get in. The clerk was not rude about it but the overall attitude was 'take it or leave it'. We were allowed to let my son get in the pool while we waited and, as it turned out, we only had to wait about 15 minutes. My husband and I handled getting everything into the unit while my son & mother enjoyed the pool so it actually turned out fine.

The Vista Cay property is very nice and has a security gate and ample parking. The pool area is beautiful with plenty of seating. The pool itself is huge and there is also a hot tub. Just outside of the gated area, there is a Walgreen's. Around the corner is a Publix and a few other stores. Strangely, the Publix closes at 7pm. We found that very odd but there is also a Walmart Superstore just a couple miles away.

As for the suite itself, it was huge...I believe around 2200 sf. The kitchen was very nice, granite counters, stainless appliances, etc, and a breakfast bar with stools. It had a large dining room, beautifully furnished, but we did not use that at all. Large laundry room with washer/dryer. The bedrooms were spacious. Master bath was large with a garden tub which my son enjoyed. Glass-enclosed shower was nice and the double vanity was great. The living area was comfortable and included a desk which was handy. Wireless internet is included at no charge which is rare in Orlando. Most hotels (including Disney properties) charge an additional daily fee.

I do have a few complaints, however. 1) The bedding was cheap. The mattresses were of the quality you might find in a Big Lots. Every time I sat on the bed (in the Master), it sounded like I was sitting on one of my dog's squeaky toys. As for sleep quality...I didn't wake up with a backache but it just wasn't as comfortable as it should be. I believe these are privately-owned units and I don't understand why the owners are willing to invest $20k plus in a kitchen but won't spring for a decent mattress. And all of the beds had the same cheap, no-name mattresses. 2) The water pressure in the showers was almost non-existent, mostly due to the fact that half the holes in the shower head were clogged. The sprayer in the kitchen sink had much better water pressure than the showers. 3) The balcony was large & very nice to have but the door leading to the balcony had a defective lock. Every time I locked it, I had to put a great deal of effort into getting it unlocked...and that is a fire hazard. 4) Every door in the unit desperately needed some WD-40. 5) There were blinds on all windows but no window treatments at all. This wasn't a major disappointment but certainly would have added to the overall ambience. And since there were no drapes to draw, it was not possible to completely darken the room at night.

Overall, I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to others. But if we had been staying more than 2 nights, I probably would have requested a move to a different unit.

Room Tip: If you plan to spend a lot of time at the pool, request a building close by. Although the pool area...
4  Thank jrdanna