“Bad Experience at Coco Key”

Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Ranked #211 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I stayed at this resort last summer in July. I had read the reviews and recognized that the comments were good and bad. When I got there our room had a problem with the door so I was offered a room next to the pool. It was a llittle noisy but nice to be so close. The food in the restaurant at the resort is just ok. The location is close to other resorts in the area. On the day we were getting ready to check out is when the problems happened. My husband was loading luggage and my daughter and I were in the room just finishing a shower. Unannounced a gentleman from the resort walked in on us. Before I could even say anything he was gone. It was odd that when I left my room there was management right outside. At first they appeared concerned and offered to address the situation. At the front desk they brought a young management trainee to me who let me know it is policy to check the rooms scheduled for check out. We had left a do not disturb sign on the door. He just didn't seem sincere and the management never offered me anything to make up for the bad experience. I know before I scheduled this resort I had read this happened to someone else but I thought maybe it was a fluke - ITS" NOT BE CAREFUL - don't leave the door unlocked if you stay here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
CoCoKeyOrl, General Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2016

Hello vacation2010info,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. We strive to provide you with excellent service from check in through check out and I am disappointed we were not able to meet that goal. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews are shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

I would like to discuss this in more detail so we can take immediate action to correct the areas you mentioned. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can restore your confidence in us and provide you with a quick resolution.

321-206-4392

Reviewed October 22, 2010

I am a local resident of Orlando, FL and my family and I spent most of our summer @ CoCo Keys Resort. The resort is remotely located on International Drive, close to all the other major attractions and affordable too! You get so much more for your money as it includes a well hidden water park that my teenager loves and a regular 'South Beach Style' pool area for the not so rowdy bunch. Restaurants , arcades, laundry rooms, tiki bar, and more right on property. We are even entertaining the idea of hosting our 2011 family reunion @ Coco Keys!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank hobolo92
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2016

Hello Hobolo92,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful time. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews were shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

We appreciate your continued business and if I can be of any assistance on your next reservations do not hesitate to email me directly.

Reviewed October 16, 2010

if you have a prob just ask the people so helpful, fantastic place to stay famliy orientated would definately return for holiday next year!!!

1  Thank gary1972

Hello Gary1972,

Reviewed October 14, 2010

Had a great time here....just big enough for everyone to enjoy yet not so big and spread out that we couldn't find each other. Loved being so close to our room, which was very nicely decorated and clean!

Hello WMBS,

Reviewed October 14, 2010

From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles and an attentive staff. We were promptly recieved with fresh baked cookies and a knowledgable attendant who issued our family water park wrist bands and provided a map and easy directions to the rooms and water park. Since it was only noon we and our rooms were not quite ready, we headed straight for the water park. Parking was a breeze as the lot surrounds the entire resort. We found locker rooms and dressing areas conviently located to ready us for our adventure. As we walked into the Park upbeat music and tempo filled our ears creating a sense of urgency. An abundance of sundries, resturaunts, snack bars and arcades awaited to entertain the whole family. We had no trouble finding a place to sit and relax because the park is filled with lounge chars, chairs, tables and plenty of space to gather with family. The Park is spacious and provides more than enough slides and pools. The covered side of the park provides shade and perfect water temperatures for both children and adults. Keeping up with the kids was tough but we were comforted to find out that the park has a very detailed action plan in the event that your child becomes lost. As we wound down the afternoon and were ready to check in we were delighted to see our that room was spacious and very clean. The rooms are filled with bright decorations to light the room and even plush stuffed beach balls for the kids to play with. The bathrooms are renovated and include stone counters and tile. Flat panel HD televisions provided excellent relaxation as we readied for the night. It did not take long to find entertainment for the night. A resturaunt is located just downstairs where kids eat free. If you would rather eat elswhere International drive is right out front with more choices for food and an overwhealming amount of entertainment.
Our stay was more than enjoyable and I would reccomend that any family or even couple looking for a well located and terrific family experience go visit this excellent resort.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank thebrungers

Hello TheBrungers,

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Our stay was very pleasant and memorable. Initially, we had problems with the room key but the front desk too care of the problem quickly The service from all staff members was curtious and professional, especially Mr. Mike Quick. There were some people making too much noise late at night and Mike took care of the problem promptly and professionaly. The room was very clean and spacious. We did not have time to use the water park but it did seem quite fun. I would recommend everyone to stay at Coco Key hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Hello Tigger6966,

Reviewed October 12, 2010

This place was so disappointing. As others in previous reviews have mentioned, there is one HUGE problem with this "renovated" hotel - they left the ancient AC system in most of the hotel wings, and it made for an awful stay for my family. The hotel is apparently the first ever on I-Drive, so the air conditioner is probably from the 1960s. The rooms are nicely remodeled, but our room very oddly had a huge AC fan unit in the ceiling of the alcove where the sink was located. When running, the unit was excessively loud with a huge amount of vibration. There was also water on the floor when we arrived. We called maintenance, and after a second call they arrived - unfortunately their solution to the problem (condensation from the coil) was to put one of my bath towels(!) on the grating that covered the unit to sop up the water. I let that go, but that night when we went to bed I could not sleep because of the vibration (it seemed louder when the children were quiet!). I finally got up at 2 am, opened up the AC unit cover, and found the source of the vibration; I jammed (another!) bath towel in the unit and the somewhat quieted the noise.

But, worse than this - by the middle of the night all four of us were suffering from bad allergy-like symptoms - stuffy noses and headaches - very much like mold exposure. We were all miserable and I had to go out to get medicine at 4am - fun! I am sure with all the dripping water (and weird "fixes" of wet towels in other rooms as well) that there is mold growing on the units and in the ducts, being spit out along with the cool air. (Oh, and the air blows directly on the beds, so you are either freezing while it's on or hot when it's off.)

I spoke to the front desk attendant, who was apologetic but not at all surprised - when I asked if he had ever received similar complaints he said - "first one today!" There was no follow-up or response from the management staff. I wrote a kind letter to the general manager, Frank Fry, about these problems but unfortunately did not receive a reply; it seems that they know these problems exist but aren't going to do anything about it and are not worried about repeat visitors. We visit Orlando at least 4 times a year, but won't be back here!

The hotel is made up of a bunch of buildings, and I don't know if the same issue exists in all - we were in building 7. Management needs to do a total overhaul of the AC system and the ductwork - who know what is growing in those ancient ducts.

The water park itself was fun for a day, but that's about it. It's pretty small - better for under 6 kids in general - only a couple slides for older kids. Definitely go to Cici's across the street instead of eating at the hotel - cheap pizzas to go or all-you-can-eat pizza/salad/dessert buffet for about $5, and it's good! One last comment - there is unbelievably loud music blasting at you all afternoon in the pool area - since this water park is mainly aimed at families with small children, who do they think wants to hear rap music screaming in your ears for hours?!

So, I would give this a pass for sure - maybe try a day pass to just the water park, but there are tons of better options for lodging.

3  Thank Orland0Traveller
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2016

Hello Orland0Traveller,