“Great Park...Average hotel”

Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Ranked #214 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 5, 2010

This is a very old renovated hotel and it shows. The rooms are ok but the buildings and rooms do have an old musty smell and you definately know you are in an old building. The water park is great itself but I would recommend staying else where (we got another 4-Star hotel for $70 a night).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2016

Hello SaintAugTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. We strive to provide you with excellent service from check in through check out and I am disappointed we were not able to meet that goal. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews are shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

I would like to discuss this in more detail so we can take immediate action to correct the areas you mentioned. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can restore your confidence in us and provide you with a quick resolution.

Andy.Holt@cocokeyorlando.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,870)

Reviewed October 2, 2010

My husband & I with another couple stayed at this resort for 4 nights at the end of September to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Islands of Adventure. I found this resort through Universal Studio's website. They had a packaged deal which included tickets to the amusement parks and free shuttle buses. We kept busy on our trip - visiting Universal Studios the first day, Islands of Adventure the 2nd day, Aquatica, then Sea World, and finally the day we left we visited Islands of Adventure again for a few hours in the morning.

What I liked:
- Room was large with new furniture (they completely renovated in June 2010).
- Pool and jacuzzi remained open until 10 pm - it was great swimming around and relaxing after a long day of walking.
- Location is great. We walked the first day to Universal Studios (30 minute walk which I don't recommend unless you're in good shape and can stand the heat). The location was great because it was only an $8 cab ride over to the parks, you can walk to the world's largest McDonald's (10 min walk), next door is Dunkin Donuts so we ate breakfast there every morning, across the street there are supermarkets and Edy's Ice Cream, and there are countless lunch/dinner options around - went to eat Buffalo Wings at a sports bar and Chili's.
- Universal Studio kiosk with a representative was in the lobby from 7 am - 3pm. Very helpful in planning your trips, booking tickets or shuttles. We chatted with the guy one morning and he gave us a 20% coupon to use at Universal Studio's gift shops. We saved $40 when buying souvenirs.
- Friendly and helpful staff

Everything else:
The room was lacking many items:
- Mini-fridge - the room includes a dining table, a sink and long counter tops but no fridge! We couldn't even keep our water/sodas cool... I think this would be problematic if you brought kids along (especially if you need to store milk).
- No closet - they had one dresser but where would you hang your clothes?! There was a room/area right outside of the bathroom. I'm not even sure what this area was for except to connect you to another room. Would have been useful to have a small closet or pole to hang your clothes.
- An iron on the floor but no ironing board... though our friends had an ironing board in their room but no toilet paper, towels and soap.
- No luggage rack - They had an ottoman/leg rest near the couch but it was made out of fabric (didn't want to risk bugs living in it and then crawling into our luggage). I hoisted our suitcase to the bar table.
- No clothing line / rack to hang wet clothes! Usually they have a line in the tub but there was nothing there... It's a WATER PARK! Which means wet suits...where would we hang our clothes to dry? This made no sense to me. I hung our bathing suits on the shower curtain bar, which curved outwards so all the water dripped on the bathroom floor anyway. At the very least they should have a straight bar so it can drip into the tub.
- The room is suppose to have free wi-fi but it didn't work 3 of the days we stayed. We told them but it took another day to fix. However, their staff was understanding, friendly and helpful. There was a drainage problem in our bathroom sink. We mentioned it to them and they fixed it while we were out on the same day.

- Kids might enjoy the water park but for four adults it was seriously lacking. It had 3 slides which were fun for the first 15 minutes. I went to Great Wolf (which has an indoor water park) and had a blast there. We only went once out of the 5 days. The fact that they charge you an additional twenty bucks per night for it was not worth it. We could have used that money for an extra night somewhere else or an entrance fee to an amusement park. That would be the main reason why we would not come back to this hotel.
- We ate dinner at their restaurant one night. It was buffet style and horrible... the pasta was hard and stale, macaroni & cheese tasted like powder and we shelled out $75 for the four of us (drinks not included in the meal). Eat elsewhere!

Transportation:
- Free shuttle bus from hotel to the parks is once/twice a day. It's not continuous. There's an 8:15 and 10 AM to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure (a 6 and 7 pm ride back) and 9 AM bus to SeaWorld/Aquatica with a ride back around 5 pm.
- Cab Rides are not bad and the front desk can call one for you:
$40 to airport, $8-10 to Universal, $20 to Downtown Disney

Overall, I recommend this hotel if you have young kids and don't mind the missing items in the room.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

Hello Moonbeam720,

Reviewed September 28, 2010

Very close to Universal Studios and Island of Adventure and fun for the kids because of the water park. BUT if you are looking for a five start hotel , look some place else. Air conditioning sounded like an airplane taking off every time started and wires hanging from the air cooling system in the bathroom ceiling , not safe at all.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Hello MIAMIMIKEFOX,

Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed at this hotel with a bunch of girl scouts and really enjoyed ourselves. We had 5th - 8th graders who were at the park. Thought it may be too little for our 13 - 14 year olds, but their comments were, they would rather have a few good rides that you did not have to wait so long for, then a lot of rides like at "wet n wild" where you had to wait at times for over an hour. Because it was small enough, the adults sat at a central location and was able to keep an eye on the girls, but let them have a little freedom with their buddy.

The hotel was centrally located, so if you did not want to eat on site, you could walk to a variety of restaurants. The staff was so friendly, that you could not tell who was management and who was staff, because everyone acted like management.

We did have a problem with a door falling off the hinges, and a light not working as well as some door knobs falling off. But a quick call to engineering and it was taken care of quickly. I would not let that get in the way of staying at this hotel.

Wish rooms had fridges or at least a microwave. Comfortable rooms. Loved that all left over and used soap and shampoo was being donated to an organization for additional use.

• Stayed: September 2010
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2016

Hello valmiller61,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful time. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews were shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

We appreciate your continued business and if I can be of any assistance on your next reservations do not hesitate to email me directly.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

To keep a very long story short - In regards to the park, the waterpark was great for my family (four year old). Bring your own towels they run out quite frequently and it got quite loud but fun non-the-less.

The room is where we encountered a problem. We had checked in and went down to the water park. When we came back a few hours later, we had found that someone had broken into our room. This is going to sound strange, but we knew it because they had left a PS2 in the room! I was immediately searching to make sure everything was in place and it seemed to be, but with identity theft these days, I canceled all credit cards and requested new ones. This was a tedious task and I was torn with what to do with the PS2. Being honest, I went to the desk and told them my story, showed them the PS2. They said that they would research who had access to the room. It had turned out that it was an employee. I had argued that there was no reason for him/her to be in my room (no towels were replaced, the bed was not remade after our nap). I was furious that I had to spend hours canceling and requesting new cards just to be safe! The management offered no recompense and only said, "Sorry." To rub salt in the wound, they took the PS2 from me as well (should've been mine for all this hassle at the least)!

We just stayed again, my son just begged to go back, and the vacation went a better. Made sure to lock the doors and slam them shut so no one bothers me in the middle of the night (as per other reviews), kept all valuables in the car (hard to believe that is the safest spot for them) and we had fun. The stay was not without an event however, someone had attempted to steal the large flat screen TV in the lobby and had gotten caught walking out with it!!!! I don't blame the hotel for this however, crime is horrible on International Drive, you have to expect it. =(

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank jeneric12

Hello jeneric12,

Reviewed September 5, 2010

We were concerned about booking this hotel after reading reviews, how surprised we were. We did however request a room in the tower which was spacious with 2 large double beds. Staff very helpful and even called tour operator in uk for us when we had a problem. Whole site is cleaned daily. Water park was a hit with the children and has something for all ages, we however loved the smaller pool.

Downside was air conditioning, it is noisy, for us it was not a problem as we slept through it or didnt always have it on. No rooms have a balcony nor a fridge, we however bought one from walmart for $60 and ate cereal for breakfast and made rolls for lunch.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank StrawberrySurrey_uk

Hello StrawberrySurrey_uk,

Reviewed September 2, 2010

Having stayed at this hotel under previous owners,i can confirm new owners have completely refirbished the complex,and the age of the complex is where the similarities end. We were shown around this hotel the week this hotel opened we were very shocked at how differant this hotel was made to look with its integrated waterpark and various restaurants and fittness facilities we would be more than happy to stay here under new owners.Crispy who took us on a tour of the hotel was a breath of fresh air!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family