“Good hotel, but they have hidden fees”

Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Ranked #207 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Santo Domingo
“Good hotel, but they have hidden fees”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The rooms are nice, but they have hidden fees. I booked my vacation package with Jet Blue getaways and after I left the hotel they charged me US$ 142 dollars. For use of hotel ammenities, (Water park I didnt use, and supposably entrance to the water park is charged seperatly) when I had already paid the hotel in full. Be carefull when booking this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Roberto F
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2016
Hello Roberto F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. We strive to provide you with excellent service from check in through check out and I am disappointed we were not able to meet that goal. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews are shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

I would like to discuss this in more detail so we can take immediate action to correct the areas you mentioned. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can restore your confidence in us and provide you with a quick resolution.

Andy.Holt@cocokeyorlando.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Polish first
Shawnee on Delaware, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We were attracted to this property simply because we have four children and we did not want to be forced to go to Disney properties, and the water park looked like it could keep them entertained for the two days we were there. BIG MISTAKE!!! The water park is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday and on the days it is open this time of year, it is open only until 5pm.

Resort??? Nay. The pool is small/medium and heated and there is a small jacuzzi. But there is no towel service. There is a resort fee, ha again, you pay extra for parking and wifi, and there is even a greater fee for the water park.

We were told that there would be a microwave oven and refrigerator. There is a mini fridge, but no microwave. The "coffee maker" was broken, but they brought a new one immediately together with the appropriate number of towels, but there was insufficient shampoo or soap for hotel guests.

The beds were horrible and pillows horrible and we had two rooms, both of which had a/c units that cranked on and off every few seconds which made it absolutely impossible to sleep and remain asleep.

The room was clean and the colors cheery. But dont come for the water park without warning, and it is most definitely not a resort. It is small and in the heart of the tourist district.

Service was spotty. Sometimes service was sweet and nice, and other times we were told that we could not print out our boarding passes because the printer in the business center never works, but then we found someone at the desk who said "sure, use my computer and printer, no problem..."

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank l s
Hello s,

Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Coco Key Resort in Orlando. I bid on it on Priceline. I wasn't thrilled with Priceline's choice of hotel since the suggestions they made to me were of national and international hotel chains but when I called to complain they refused to change it stating that this was a three star resort.
When I arrived late in the evening I was told that there was also a resort fee and if I didn't want to pay it I could leave. I knew that my card had already been charged to Priceline so I had no choice but to pay it.
The hotel was very clean but definitely not a 3-star hotel. The pillows we're old and all different sizes. One of the blankets on the bed was so scratchy you couldn't put it next to your skin. The walls were extremely thin and you could hear everything that happened in the rooms next door to yours.
It was very cold that night and the heater turned on every few minutes waking us all because it was so loud. Unfortunately it never got very warm in our room at all.
Overall I certainly would not have stayed in this hotel had I not been forced to from Priceline. It really reminded me of a lower star chain hotel that had been repainted and a water park added.
I guess the moral is to bid on what you know and leave the surprises for others.

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank traveler202020
Hello traveler202020,

Kent
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This hotel had everything you need when travelling with young children. Great location, near enough to all parks and malls using buses/i-ride. Easy to walk to our favourite restaurant the Shogun which was the highlight of my 4 year old son's trip and i-ride to the Olive Garden restaurant which is superb. Chucky cheese opposite hotel which kept my son amused when we had half an hour to waste. Pool and water park great for kids. I would return if found a great deal for this hotel again. I went expecting the worst from reading reviews but was pleasantly surprised and only intended to use hotel as a base anyway as spend all day in the parks! Didn't like the pizza restaurant as staff not so friendly and food greasy but breakfast restaurant was good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Francesca C
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2016
Hello Francesca C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful time. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews were shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver. We appreciate your continued business and if I can be of any assistance on your next reservations do not hesitate to email me directly.

Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I got a decent deal for Coco Key through Allegiant airlines and I didn't have any expectations really but the rooms looked nice enough and the idea of a pool and hot tub seemed decent as well. The front desk staff was pretty nice and friendly/helpful. The nice part about it is they have a free shuttle to Universal just don't expect it to be quick: it makes about 4 other stops along the way which can be frustrating (for instance it picked us up at 8 and we didn't get there until 850 or so). The rooms are nice enough and while the pillows and bed aren't the most luxurious I don't doubt we got what we paid for. It's also very close to Disney and many restaurants and entertainment! My wife and I liked it and would possibly return but would not pay full price. Overall average but decent enough if you're not going to be there for an extended time.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Richard T
Hello Phil T,

Brunswick, Georgia, United States
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Our stay was definitely much better than expected! An acquaintance had mentioned this hotel before, so I had heard of it, but decided to stay there when I saw it listed as a special on travel website. I figured it was my last night of vacation, gambling on a lesser priced hotel would be an adventure! I was really impressed with the facilities and the friendly staff. We will be coming back again for sure in the future, as the prices and offerings make it realistic to be an affordable weekend get away!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jason C
Hello Jason C,

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed for only one night to celebrate our beginning of being a semi empty nesters.... Let me tell you, the jacuzzi is to die for..... There is so many things to do here, we only went across the street for food and went back in, I didn't wanted to leave the hotel!!! Next family gathering our families will stay here and we are many, so get ready for fun!

• Stayed January 2014