“Super two weeks at coco keys”

Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Ranked #210 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Arrived sat 7th April, staff at reception very helpful, someone found us a trolley for the bags,room in tower block 5th floor was great, huge tv bed so comfy and soft quality pillows. Fridge, air con, hairdryer, iron and board and safe free to use. Trade winds restaurant limited choice, mostly burgers and fries and chicken ect, over priced and short on staff, only went there first night. Snack bar and pizza hut good. Pool brill, water park for kids very h & s aware, security at night, was told this is cos it's a motel style and on int drive it made me feel safe. Had room in tower block and somehow this made me with a child feel safer. Popular with American families, the arcade can become additive to the teens! Main pool area clean and water warm plenty of beds and the shady cabanas are nice when it's hot. Hot tub lovely, they had issues with the laundry and the wifi for a few days but they couldn't apologise enough and we used the free computers in the lobby.
Some reviews are not so nice about the place, but it all depends on what you are expecting, it's a Motel style family hotel, it's not a 5star Hilton!!! It's an excellent base for two weeks in Florida, we only stayed around the hotel two days out of the 14 we were there, mainly cos I was shattered after doing all the parks, and a few pool days was welcome . We never had any complaints about the place, it lived up to our expectations and we will be returning in feb next year.

Room Tip: Ask or email before visit for tower block
14  Thank Gilbertson
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2016

Hello Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful time. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews were shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

We appreciate your continued business and if I can be of any assistance on your next reservations do not hesitate to email me directly.

There are newer reviews for Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and 2 1/2 year old son stayed here March 25-April 1. We got a great deal with hotel, flight from Toronto and a full size car rental. Our reason to go to Orlando was to go to DIsney at least once and we also went to Gatorland and drove to Clearwater Beach. The days in between we spent at the waterpark.
The hotel was clean and the staff were EXTREMELY helpful. The front desk were fast, friendly and accomidating. Our room faced the parking lot which suited me just fine. The hotel looks like it used to be a motel and was renovated. The room was nice and clean. We thought there might have been a problem with our air conditioner and after a few calls which noone answered the night manager and handyman came to our room and fixed it immediatley. They were very friendly and apologetic.
The waterpark is really great for kids. There is lots for toddlers and older kids to enjoy. When we were there it was really busy but we still enjoyed the waterpark. The lifeguards were very attentive. Any concerns I have about the waterpark or pool would be that parents are not watching their kids properly. Some kids were a little aggressive and not very easy to be around but that certainly is not the fault of the resort or lifeguards.
This location is SO good. There is nothing you could need that isn't on or near International Drive. Next door is Dunkin Donuts and Denny's. All sorts of restaraunts are located on this street. There is outlet malls, target and wal mart just a short drive from this hotel. It is also about 15 mins from Disney and a short drive to Gatorland.
Overall this waterpark was very good for kids of all ages. There was one day the toddler and teen waterpark were closed due to them trying to correct the PH in the water. It took 1 day of being closed to correct it. We were gone all that day anyhow so it didn't affect us. I was happy to hear they take such good care at keeping the water safe and healthy for all using it.

It was overall a nice, safe, clean place to stay with a wonderful location.

The rooms are connecting and we did sometimes hear our neighbours kids crying etc but it was never a problem for us.

We would stay there again, could not beat the price, waterpark and location.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank ElsieOakville

Hello ElsieOakville,

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here because my daughter's team picked the hotel (apparently for the water park element), but next time we're in Orlando we'll find another location. While I think the owners did a lot of nice things with an old property, they neglected to hire people who care about customer service. With the exception of the front desk, we had repeated disappointments with service. They were often out of pool towels, had just two rafts available to go down one of the slides, and staff looked angry at me when I reported there was no coffee at the (not so good) breakfast buffet. The cashier in one restaraunt area was more interested in eating from his box of candy and talking to friends than he was in serving customers. When I asked for a hair dryer (their was not one in my room as advertised) it was never sent up to the room as promised (so I went down and asked again in person). Also, in terms of the rooms, be advised the walls are quite thin so you'll be up if you're neighbors are outside talking - no matter how ealry or late that may be. One morning after my shower, the smell of cigarette smoke wafted through the vent from the room behind mine. This despite all rooms supposedly being "smoke free." Then again, the clintele ranged quite and I think many "low rent" guests contributed to the overall "not nice" experience. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that even my kids noticedthis experience was subpar. We decided to drive by Downtown Disney on our way home simply so to experience some decent service before Orlando left a bad taste in my mouth!

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower are more quiet than the others.
2  Thank tampagatorgirl
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2016

Dear tampagatorgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. We strive to provide you with excellent service from check in through check out and I am disappointed we were not able to meet that goal. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews are shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

I would like to discuss this in more detail so we can take immediate action to correct the areas you mentioned. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can restore your confidence in us and provide you with a quick resolution.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Eight of us stayed at Coco Key in March 2012. Four adults, one 15 year old, one 11 year old, one nine year old and a seven year old. Our rooms were were in the "Tower" part of the hotel and were very large. We could not fault the rooms, they were kept very clean. The aircon was quiet and very efficient. Huge comfortable beds with lovely pillows, slept very well and needed it after being at the parks all day. I Trolly stops right outside so very easy to get around. Lots of eating places in walking distance. Good for breakfast "Denny's turn right out of hotel foyer on same side of road, kids eat free. Ponderosa, $3.99 all you can eat plus kids eat free. Never seen such a selection of food.Turn left out of foyer and on opposite side of road, is quite a walk so good idea to get I Trolly if it is hot, it is just where the road bends round to the right. The only thing that we thought let the hotel down
was the restaurant. Kids loved the water park, we used it when we got back from the parks. The adult pool was very nice too with plenty of beds. It was great to take a dip to wind down after hectic days. The staff were second to none, so helpful. Kelly was especially helpful and lovely to deal with, but they were all great couldnt do enough for you. Thomson rep was also very helpful and did a lot to make life easy for us, including arranging a mini bus and driver who was at our disposal when we needed him as none of us wanted to drive. He himself was a mind of information about where to eat and what to see. We had such an amazing time I could go on for ever. We also arranged a two day trip to Key Largo and Miami with American Attractions which was great, this was arranged on the internet before we went. We also bought our Disney passes etc from them, this worked out very well, they were very efficient. If you go have a great time, we did.

Room Tip: Try to arrange for the Tower. Saying that there is nothing wrong with the other rooms. We stayed i...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank SomersetCheryl

Hello SomersetCheryl,

Reviewed April 19, 2012

I booked this hotel due to its inclusion of one of Universal's partner hotels, allowing early entry into the Universal parks, a belief my 9-year-old daughter would love the water park, and generally positive reviews on Trip Advisor. The CoCo Key is basically a motel (exterior entrances) with a water park tacked onto the back. Our room smelled moldy, and upon arrival, we found the phone didn't work. That was quickly corrected, but my wife was disappointed that there was no hair dryer. The staff brought us one (actually two, because the first didn't work, and neither did the second). In fact, only half of the outlets in the room worked. Many of the hotel amenities seemed to be broken or totally out of commission. The neighborhood is a little rough-looking; about four blocks further south International Drive is much nicer. My daughter liked the water park, but much preferred spending time at the amusement parks. Plus it closes at 7, so we couldn't go there after a day at the parks and dinner.Bottom line--the CoCo Key is pretty low-end, and I'd stay there only if I was really looking to economize and had younger kids who really love water parks.

2  Thank VATraveller2469

Dear VATraveller2469,

Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel is a renovated OLD orlando hotel. 2 stories, no elevators, rooms open to parking lot. Water park if fun for the kids for 1hr after doing a theme park. On cold days, the water can be freezing.

Water Park is really fun for kids (under 12). If you have teenagers they will be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank irishzim

Dear irishzim,

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed one evening on a quick trip to Orlando. My son always wanted to stay at the water park hotel so we finally did and I totally regret that decision. The room was dirty and had a horrible mildew smell when we walked in. I knew we were only going to be there for one evening and luckily the sheets were clean so we didnt call the front desk. You can definitely tell this is a
Old motel. The elevators make a terrible loud noise and the doors do not close all the way. The water park is the only saving grace. The worst park of the whole trip was right at bedtime. Water started leaking from the ac in the ceiling. I had filled up the ice bucket twice before maintenance arrived. They came and sucked up the water and said they would be back later. This is at 10 oclock
And we have a three year old! One of the guys gave me the ice bucket back and said here's your bucket If you need more ice! Needless to say the ac never worked and it continued to leak. When I called the front desk in the morning to check out I told them the ac never worked and all the girl said was "okay, your checking out right". No I am sorry or is there anything I can do. I was appalled and I will never go back to this motel!

• Stayed: April 2012