“Awful at best”

Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Ranked #210 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
“Awful at best”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Booked room on Hotwire.com, that was my first mistake. Room was already fully paid for before I checked in, but I had to surrender my credit card when I got here anyway for "incidentials", whatever. Arrived at first room and there was a plastic "caution wet floor"tower sitting in front of my door. One step into the room and the wet dog smell slapped me in the face. Went back to the lobby and was given another room. The lobby attendant was nice, no issues with getting another room. Arrived at second room, looked clean but carpet smells dirty and I refuse to take off my shoes.

Bottom line, this hotel has issues with mold, mildew, and cleanliness. Also another issue is contact with the front desk. I called not long after I arrived in the room and let the phone ring at least two dozen times no answer. I was calling about the wireless internet. You apparently have to pay for the in-room wireless... REALLY? The least this low rent hotel can do is give you free wireless. Never Again.. will never stay here and I'll never use Hotwire.com - they're both awful.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank SalinFL
CoCoKeyOrl, General Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have faced during your stay. We do ask that all guests provide their credit card and this is to account for any incidentals that may occur during your stay. We strive to ensure that all rooms are cleaned to our high standards on a daily basis. Additionally, Wi-Fi is complimentary in all of our guestrooms and in all of our public areas. There is no extra charge for this service. We apologize again for the discomfort you faced and hope that you reconsider and stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We accidentally came upon a great Groupon Deal for this hotel: 2 nights, water park entrance, and arcade entrance. We would have never known about this place without the Groupon offer but it was the best experience vacationing as a family. We went in January, the water was cold (heated pool in certain areas) but it didn't stop us from enjoying the numerous water slides. It wasn't busy, I'm sure it's busier in the summer time. There is always security roaming around and lifeguards @ every inch. All the staffs were super friendly. It was better than we imagined as well. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank sushithaiparty
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2016
Hello Sushithaiparty,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful time. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews were shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

We appreciate your continued business and if I can be of any assistance on your next reservations do not hesitate to email me directly.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2012

The staff were all really friendly and helpful. They answered all my questions in detail and smiled a lot.The room was also nicer than I thought. IT was roomy and had aircondition. The resort is pretty big. There are plenty of activities to keep the kids busy.Its location is also great because its in the middle of everything. Nearby there are resturants, places to shop, and miniature golf. I stayed there with my 10 month old son and husband. My son was a little afraid of the water but enjoyed himself in the arcade. I liked the fact there were lots of life guards around to supervise the kids at the waterpark area. I disliked that I found stains under the pillows on the bed. As if the cleaners turned them over to hide the stains. But luckily I brought sheets with me for us to put over the bed. Other than the stains on the pillow, I did enjoy my time at the waterpark.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the towers.The tower is a little more quiet and secluded from all the children scre...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ayana P
Hello Ayana P,

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have stayed at the Coco Key during a trip to Orlando that was mainly meant to go to amusement parks. The hotel is perfectly located (5 mins drive from Universal, 20 minutes from Disney and Gator Land, a couple of miles away from Wet'n'Wild) and has a free parking surrounding each of the buildings.

At first, I had only booked it for its proximity to the parks as well as for its very low price (we paid about 100$ all included per night for a large double room) and because I was somewhat intrigued by the water park. Well, it was worth it! The room was ready already at 11:30 AM although the policy says that the check-in is only later in the afternoon - first good point. Then we discovered a very large room with a very comfy queen size bed, a flat-screen TV and a fridge - second good point. Finally, as we are both geeks, we were extremely pleased to discover that the hotel has free WiFi in the rooms - third good point. On top of that, there are two PC's with a printer available for guests in the main lobby, which came in quite handy when we decided at the last minute to book tickets for the Cirque du Soleil. Now, about the water park, it is very well worth it! The slides are great, though the air is quite chilly in November. Never mind the cold air, you can move to the heated pool next to the lobby building. Icing on the cake: the staff was always extremely nice and helpful. I would definitely go back to that hotel if I travel again to Orlando!

Room Tip: The central building tends to be more quiet as it does not have a view on either of the pools.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello Fabrizio45,

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We went into Orlando for 4 days after 4 days at Disney. After a rocky start to the check in process (it was late), we completely enjoyed our stay.

The water-park is NOT Disney, but the kids did enjoy it. Definitely good for some hours of fun.
Not much for the parents to do, so depending on the age of your kids, this may or may not be a good thing.

We didn't eat at the hotel at all, plenty of family friendly restaurants around, and to be honest the choices there were limited. The pool was fun, there was internet access and wi-fi available, with enough chairs and some toys for the kids.

We had a Family suite, which was TWO adjoining rooms, both nicely appointed with 2 different bathrooms.. one faced the parking lot, the other the pool area.

Manager, very visible and friendly.

I'd stay here again, the location was GREAT and the price was very good also - we stayed in February.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Laramom23
Hello Laramom23,

Orlando, FL
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Dislike: exterior cooridors and location on I Drive

Everything else is 100% +++! The park is fun, the bedding is amazing and the hotels . I think all rooms now have a fridge and micro. That's new for 2011.

They also offer birthday party packages for the locals.

1 Thank jesbribraali
Hello Jesbribraali,

toronto
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We booked the coco key "hotel" as part of a seaworld package. This is not a hotel/resort. CocoKey is a motel compound with a small highrisel building in the middle. Most of the units here are 2 storey motel buildings without elevator access to the second floor. Parking is around the outside of the motel buildings and there is a pathway between the motel buildings that leads to the tower building. The pathway is not lit sufficiently, the elevators in the tower needed buttons repaired, the hallways have an unpleasant odor. The rooms were clean and large. The air conditoner blew so much air that you had to stand at the other end of the room when it was on and was so loud we could not hear each other. The staff were pleasant and helpful If you are looking for a motel the cocokey will suit your needs but if your looking for a hotel or resort hotel don't stay here.

Room Tip: only stay in the tower building
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Zysli
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2016
Hello soccermom14,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. We strive to provide you with excellent service from check in through check out and I am disappointed we were not able to meet that goal. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews are shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

I would like to discuss this in more detail so we can take immediate action to correct the areas you mentioned. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can restore your confidence in us and provide you with a quick resolution.

321-206-4392