“European class restaurant in Orlando”

Tommy Bahama's Tropical Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Tommy Bahama's Tropical Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 3,762 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Kids, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Barcelona, Spain
“European class restaurant in Orlando”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

One of many, many restaurants on the International Drive "strip" in Orlando. Surprisingly courtious service, none of the false bonhemie so customery of european restaurants. The menu is sufficiently varied and sufficiently contained to give the impression that the chef knows what he's trying to do. Our partly of 5 had various entree dishes and all the found to be excellent. My filet Maignon was cooked medium slightly rare just as I had asked and the quantity of food is spare for American standards. In other words, plently, but none left over. The six home made desserts are however huge, definately to be shared between at least two. Whilst we diodn't have to wait to be seated, if you do have to wait, the clothes shop alongside is worth a visit.

• Visited November 2012

Larbert, Scotland
“Server completely disinteretsed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went here to try the fixed price dining experience. 3 courses for $30. My husband wasn't feeling great so decided not to eat. When the server discovered that it was only one person eating and also on the fixed price menu his attitude seemed to be that he would spend his time at other tables where his chance of a bigger tip was much better. He barely spoke to us, my food was thrust in front of me then he was off. I did enjoy the food although the portions were meagre.
I won't be going back. No atmosphere. Poor service. No attempt to make me feel like a valued customer. I might have been choosing from the fixed price menu on that occasion but there isn't any chance that I would return with my husband or as a group to eat a la carte.
The lady on the reception desk was vey friendly. Shame about her colleague!

Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
“A moderate experience only - mod satis but only just”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

In the Pointe eating and shopping experience of International Drive, there are many choices covering several budgets and eating styles. We tried this at about 7.30 on a Saturday night. Inside apart from one party of 10 at a table, there were few diners. Good news and bad. Not exactly an overwhelming endorsement, but likely to be quiet. We chose a booth. The menu a sort of southern states and tropical menu with a definitely local emphasis. The menu as others have indicated is short and not cheap. We could have eaten at Red Lobster, half a mile down the road for about half the price, but we might have had to queue for half an hour.
I had a lobster bisque small portion, and a fillet steak with Gruyere Chese. One of my companions had the same, and another had the rack of ribs.
The dishes came with a very small garnish of vegetables, althoug sold as a complete meal. The quantities were more European than American, but at the end it was enough but not as much as one might have wanted on the plate. Definitely not doggy bag territory.
The quality of the meat was excellent and the meal was attratively served, but barely hot enough. As this was a business meal, I was not in a postion to send it back. Service was adequate but the server seemed to be on autopilot reading from a script, and at no time did we fell truly welcome The atmosphere is not really consisten witht the name of the establishment. The meal for three (two course only, two glasses of wine, no desert) came to $160 inc tip. I thought this represented poor value for money compared to other places in International Drive. The only advantage was that it priced out the riff raff, so we were able to talk comfortably.
I feel no need to ever go back there again, as I felt my presence was unwanted, and the meal whilst acceptable, was unremarkable.

• Visited October 2012
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We visited for lunch while at a conference - I didn't realize Tommy had more than clothes! Meal was excellent - I had fish tacos and they were as good as the waiter recommended! Great meal and of course shopping for "dessert"

Visited October 2012
Ocoee, Florida
“Delightful and Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

The decor was definitely Tommy Bahama inspired, like a chic Caribbean bungalow complete with steel-drum band. The music was lively but didn't overpower our conversation. The lighting was dim enough to be romantic but bright enough to read our menus easily. The mock-tails were fun and tasty, I recommend the cucumber and ginger-tini. The crab bisque was one of the best I've ever eaten, my personal favourite on the menu. Our server had great suggestions as well, the stuffed chicken was our table's definite winner. The desserts were beautifully presented and tasted amazing. We'll definitely be returning to try more on the menu.

• Visited October 2012