“Close to Universal Studios”

Hyatt Place Orlando Universal
Ranked #92 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orleans, Ontario
“Close to Universal Studios”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights at the Hyatt in May 2014.. Very good hotel, close to Universal and restaurants. My daughter was very sick one night and the hotel was very accomodating with breverage and food from the breakfast area even after hours.. Breakfast was good, rooms were clean and like the area with the couch so you didn"t feel to crowded especially that we were 4 in the room.. only thing I didnt like was the small bathroom.. I would definately stay there again !

1 Thank Dunkaroo
Hyatt01, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Orlando Universal, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter was sick on her vacation. I hope that she is feeling better now! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Maryland
Reviewed May 25, 2014

No complaints -- good value and an easy walk to Universal Studios. The room was comfortable and well maintained, with a refrigerator and coffee maker. Breakfast and parking were included in the price.

My only complaint was the internet connection, which was erratic and slow.

2 Thank MarylandIrene
Thank you for staying with us! I am glad to hear your enjoyed our comfortable guest rooms and our complimentary breakfast and parking! Your feedback is important to us and we are looking into the issue you had with our complimentary Wi-fi, thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope to see you again!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Universal from Tuesday 6th - Tuesday 20th May 2014 and had a truly wonderful stay.

Landing at MCO, the hotel is easy to get to in 15 - 20 minutes and is well situated for all major attractions and business venues.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly - from the kitchen staff to the assistant general manager. Unfortunately I didn't get the names of everyone whom we would like to thank, but of those we did get we would like to thank Jenny, Valerie, Robert, Farah, Errol and Christina (I would be grateful if management would thank the lovely little Spanish lady who took the dishes away from the restaurant area and the cleaner on the seventh floor - both of whom did a great job and, just as importantly, were lovely to talk to).

We were over in Florida to get married at Siesta Key beach and it was lovely that some of the staff showed such an interest. On our wedding day, we even returned to find a card, cakes and a bottle of wine in our room. Service is very important to me and, based on this alone, staying at this hotel again is a very strong possibility.

The rooms were very comfortable and had a homely feeling. We were in a double room to begin with and I would have to agree, with other reviews, that the bathroom is small and there is just enough clearance between the door and the toilet. However, the bedroom itself was spacious with a nice seating area to unwind - this was a nice change to those hotels where the only place to sit on is a bed or at a workdesk. We were moved to a king bedded room/handicapped room which had a much larger bathroom on our third day, and this was handled very efficiently. When I realised there was no safe in the room, the ever pleasant Errol promptly brought one over to us. The hotel gives the impression that reported problems are going to be dealt with right away.

There is a simple, yet good, complimentary breakfast in the morning. It is understandable that some reviewers have found it limited on choice but, even though nothing is free these days, as an experienced traveller to the area, I am yet to come across a better priced hotel in this class that offers breakfast, wifi, parking, printing and a safe at no extra cost. I booked direct by telephoning the hotel and was particularly impressed that there were no hidden charges or extra taxes to pay - I paid the price I was told over the phone and not a dollar more on checking out. Most hotels in the area charge an extra service fee per night, which many foreign visitors are not made aware of and can often lead to having to pay an extra $200 dollars or so at the end of a two week stay. Thank you Hyatt for operating in this way so that I did not have to worry about potential costs at the end of the holiday (apart from extra services like phone calls and room service of course).

There is a small gym with several pieces of cardio equipment and a selection of light weights. The pool area is nice with towels provided, but was too cold for us to use.

Apart from the small bathroom in the double rooms and the slow and dated lifts, there are no significant negatives that I can point out with this hotel.

So I will conclude by saying that this hotel made us feel relaxed, like we were at home for two weeks...I don't think I can pay a better compliment than that.

Thank you everyone at Hyatt Universal and we hope to see you again!

x Paul and Sarah x

3 Thank babyreddevils
Hi Paul and Sarah,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us all about your stay. It sounds like you had a fantastic stay with us and I am very pleased to hear that! I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and our Gallery Host's great guest service! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back on your next vacation to Orlando. Congratulations on your new marriage, we wish you both the best!
Boston
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Stayed there in May for less than a week and the proximity to Universal is great. Jordan (Front Desk) was spectacular, pleasant and informative at check-in and contacting us when room was ready.

Breakfast was mediocre at best. First day: Everything was warm and plentiful. Second and Third day: Eggs ran out and I had to let desk know to have it replenished. Pancakes were overheated and as crispy as cookies and cold. Skillet eggs (Muffin on bottom) were cold when replenished.

The bathroom door (Room) literally opens within an inch of the toilet and is not ample enough on space; stumped toes on two occasions.

Coin Laundry would be beneficial as an option other than dry cleaning.

The guestroom was very clean and the bed and big screen TV were great. Cookie and lemonade in the lobby was fantastic but the cookie jar was empty and left out for several hours after we served ourselves. Minor details but a very nice staff at this property.

2 Thank Billyboy2391
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay! I am so glad to hear that our staff supplied excellent service and that you enjoyed our clean guest rooms. We hope that you do chose to stay with us again and if you are in need of coin laundry please inquire about this at our Gallery desk. Thank you!
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

The staff was excellent at this hotel. The 7th floor handicap room did not have Internet service for some reason. I relocated to the 4th floor. Not he front desk staff person met me at the 4th floor room to make sure the Internet worked. I was there on business and had to work. Excellent customer service. You can tell the hotel once was something else. The popcorn ceilings and the walls. You really noticed when you got in the elevator and the frame inside next to the buttons look like it was going to fall off. Some of the Hyatt Place hotel esthetics were not not and clean. Old dirty wall sockets remain etc.

Additionally, I wanted a king bed so the only thing available was the handicap room. Or I think the website said handicap shower or something. We, not sure about the code standards for a handicap bathroom but, if u had a wheel chair you may be able to roll it in but u will be stuck they way you rolled it in. A wheel chair could not turn or do anything. As a matter of fact if I wanted to close the bathroom door I had to stand in the shower or on either side of the toilet to close the door.

Maid service was a lot to be desired. For 3 days there was a used wash cloth behind the bathroom door. They did not empty my ice bucket or clean glasses. They also did not fold the blanket that I used on the small sofa. But that was all on the first night. The other two nights it was done.

I will return to the hotel if I am working in the area. Close to everything

Oh the elevator still had the Ameri Suites inspection paper posted, not Hyatt Place. It was current.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Darren W
Hyatt01, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Orlando Universal, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hi Darren,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your stay. I'm glad to hear that the customer service provided to you was excellent! I retrieved your reservation and you did stay in one of our standard KING rooms, not in an ADA accessible room. We hope to see you back for a future stay. Next time you stay with us please let us know if any housekeeping service is not complete in your room if there is anything you need while you are here. It is important to us that our guests have a fantastic experience with us and have everything they need. Thank you!
Hyattsville, Maryland
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights with a visit to Universal Studios in-between and this is the perfect location. There is a free shuttle to the park leaving multiple times each morning and coming back multiple times each night, with last pick-up at 8:10pm, so you'll be able to spend all day at Universal. There is a free breakfast in the morning, which was really nice with some egg and cheese sandwiches as well as the standard cereal, toast, fruit, and bagels kind of fare.

The room itself was spacious, and we were accommodated when we checked in at 1:30 even though check in is normally at 3. We tried to check in at 12:30, but they were completely booked the night before so we drove the rental to grab lunch nearby and there was a room ready when we got back. When we checked in, we got a nice tour of where everything was from the front desk staff and were encouraged to ask if we needed anything. We were assigned a handicap accessible room even though neither of us is handicapped, and our sink was outside the bathroom, which was a little different, but didn't detract from the stay. Overall a great stay and would come back if we ever choose to do the other Universal park.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a regular room instead of handicap accessible if you don't need it?