“Pricey, but good”

Neighborhood: Florida Center
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Pricey, but good”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We'd had a busy day at Islands of Adventure and much as I didn't want to pay City Walk prices, travelling to somewhere closer to our accommodation would have made it an extremely late dinner for the exhausted kids. So we picked Bubba Gump's just at the entrance (exit?) of City Walk by the moving walkways.

We must have hit at the right time as there was no wait for a table (about 5.30pm). When we came out there were lots queuing and parties being called as their tables became available. Great theming in this restaurant if you're a fan of the Forrest Gump film and one of the waitresses on our section even did an impromptu group trivia quiz on the film. Our prize for getting the questions right was free napkins and salt & pepper!

Anyway, food for us was the Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich for me, and the Dixie Fishwich for my wife. Kids had Fish & Chips (son & daughter 5 & 7) and oldest son (11) had the Popcorn Shrimp. The Kids meals come in a novelty 'Jenny' fishing boat folded from card, and include a pot of blue raspberry jelly for some reason! Side note: American kids must grow up thinking raspberries are blue.

The Chicken Sandwich was very tasty, with a layer of cheese and pepperoni under the nicely cooked meat. The french bread it was in was a bit too crusty for my liking, one of those breads that really cuts into the roof of your mouth. It could have been a bit hotter too, as I was eating cold fries by the end of the meal. Otherwise, very tasty and well cooked. Wife loved her Fishwich which was on much softer bread than mine. Kids really enjoyed their meals, and the fishing boats and blue jelly went down well. They also decided they'd like dessert too, so three 'build your own' sundaes were ordered. It's just vanilla ice cream served with three pots of toppings that the kids add themselves. Anything they have fun with goes down well.

Drinks were the usual soft & fizzy for me and the kids, with my wife sticking to her usual couple of glasses of Pinot.

The bill came in at $89 without tip, which I was pleasantly surprised at. Good food in a prime location was cheaper than I'd expected.

Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get. ;)

• Visited October 2013

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous food and cocktails”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We ate here after a day at Islands of Adventure. I'm not a lover of shrimp, or any type of fish/seafood but my OH is so we came here. I had the Mamas Fried Chicken and it was gorgeous!!! With the mash potato. The starter and dessert were also delicious. We had the onion strings for starter and chocolate brownie and ice cream for dessert. Cocktails were nice, but stronger than expected.

• Visited September 2013
Brooklet, Georgia
“Stop Forrest Stop....and eat here.”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is a fun place to eat and always delicious! Shrimpers' Heaven is the way to go! Watch the movie again or brush up on your Forrest Gump trivia before you go because the friendly and helpful wait staff will quiz you! Good food and good fun!

Visited June 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Refreshing meal”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We had lunch today at Bubba Gump on Universal Studio's City Walk. I've been meaning to try this place on my various visits to Manhattan, but I was always put off by the massive number of tourists outside. Today, the place looks very civilized and we got in.

We started with the Fried Sampler. It's basically very fried item on the menu, served in one plate. The plate is big enough to be a 1 person main course. But if u guys are a party of 3 or more, this would be a good generous starter.

We also tried the shrimp Mac & Cheese, which wasn't bad, but your kids may not appreciate the shrimpy twist.

The main course. I had a dish called accidental fish and shrimp. It.was.amazing.

It's 2 broiled pieces of Mahi Mahi fillets, served on a bed of white rice, and grilled small(ish) shrimps. Now, all that on one side, and the sauce that came in the plate is on another. It was a rich buttery lemony sauce with drizzles of fresh coriander and chunky chopped fresh tomatoes. The combination of all this flavors were blissful. A highly recommended dish!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank SamDubster
London, United Kingdom
“First bubba gump ever!!!”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

It was our first time ever to a Bubba Gump restaurant (there's not one in the UK) and it was amazing. I never knew shrimp could be done in so many ways and love the fact you can get different flavour combos.
It was great value for money and perfect service. Can't wait to go again :-)

• Visited May 2014