“Just Too Noisy and Uncomfortable”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Orlando South
Ranked #225 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Just Too Noisy and Uncomfortable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

If you've read my other reviews of LQ, you know I've been a fan. However, this property did not work for me. The room was so noisy, I was tempted at 2:15 AM to try and check into a Days Inn down the road. This place turned out to be a mixed bag. After I checked in, Yvonne at the front desk called to ask if I found the room OK. I did, but had not had a chance to look around.

The room or suite was very attractive and the bedding was clean. The room was odor free. There was a writing desk and a very comfortable chair. Even a electrical socket in the base of the lamp that kept me from having to crawl around under the desk to find a place to plug in my laptop. The internet connection was slow. Good enough for e-mail, but not much else. I hooked up an 9db external antenna I carry and speeds were then up to par. Remember the farther away you are from a wireless antenna, generally the slower it would be. I was on the third floor at the end of the hall. So up went the extra antenna.

The TV would freeze for minutes at a time and then go to black, eventually coming back on. No fun for watching. But a nice Samsung flat panel. When it worked it was wonderful.
The door to to the room had a gap at the bottom of about an inch. When the person across the hall inserted their key card, it sounded as though they were coming into my room it was so clear. I got used to after awhile. Even though my fellow travelers were quiet, any noise in the hall would come thought that door as if they were walking around in my room.

I couldn't figure out at first why there was so much traffic noise. I checked the window and it was closed and locked. Later, I found out that there was no weather stripping on the sliding part, basically the same as leaving the window open. The hotel is situated between the express way and an on ramp. Even though I wasn't facing either road, the noise was so loud I couldn't sleep. I finally ran just the fan on the AC unit to create some white noise. I slept maybe three hours that night. The mattress had no topper and was probably an extra firm. There were enough pillows for a pillow war, even more than needed for a pillow fight. But the bed was not comfortable like the other LQs I've stayed at.

The bathroom had a towel hanging on the shower curtain rod which was probably left by housekeeping after they had cleaned.

The entrance to the bathroom had black mold on the floor. I try to be accepting as the hotel/motel business has to deal with some very inconsiderate people, but this room was almost totally unacceptable.

Gus checked me out the next day, as I couldn't spend another night in this place. He took notes on my complaints and apologized for the inconvenience. If the hotel was as good as the front desk staff, this would be a great place.

Typical Brightside breakfast, very nicely done. Too bad the room didn't match the rest of place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank sea2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We were there to visit KSC and Disney so we were out all day and just pretty much used the hotel to shower, sleep and have breakfast. They have a waffle machine and we just bough berries some a local grocery store to top the waffles, so breakfast was delicious. We had a rental and there was no issues with parking. The service was great but the hotel hallways smelled like everyone smokes even though there's no smoking signs everywhere and our room was a non-smoking room. The bathroom floors didn't seem that clean but the showerhead/ water pressure was great and we were on the thrid floor. Quiet hotel, nothing fancy, and a good price if you plan on actually visiting FL and not hanging out at the hotel.

Room Tip: Arrive at the check in time and you'll get a choice of which floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vtayeh
Srinagar, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed here for one night before checking in to a resort for a weeklong vacation. We booked through Travelocity and paid only $44 total which we thought was a good value. The rooms and bathroom were clean and neat. We enjoyed the free continental breakfast which was simple but perfectly adequate. It was only about a 10 minute drive to the main entrance of WDW. There are also plenty of restaurants nearby.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BharatiyaNari
Georgia Peach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

The rooms were okay. The toilet had a ring from not being cleaned in a while. The bed was comfy and the air was good. I loved the free internet service. I did not make it to breakfast. The staff were very friendly. They need to do a bathroom renovation and a little extra cleaning in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tanpeach
Yorktown, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

La Quinta has become my chain of choice when traveling on a budget. I have found their properties to be everything I could expect from a hotel in their price range, and my recent stay at this hotel was no exception.

This hotel is located 20 minutes from Universal and Sea World and 30 from Disney World, but seems to be targeted to business travlers due to its location near the office parks throughout this part of Orlando.

The building is of one of their older designs but exterior and interior finishes have been updated. The rooms have new carpeting, paint and furniture, but the casework, countertops and plumbing fixtures are a little older. I found everything to be clean and in good or better condition.

My room was a Deluxe King and featured a firm king bed, large work desk and microwave / refrigerator unit which was very welcome. I'm not a big fan of the 10-pillows approach to bedding, but understand it's what people expect now.

The staff was helpful and very pleasant, including the housekeeper who offered to make up my room early due to my schedule. I appreciated her going out of her way to help me!

I missed breakfast both days of my stay by sleeping in so will not comment on that except to ask to consider extending coffee and juice service, at least, until 10AM or so.

I made a couple suggestions to Michelle, the manager, for things to consider - all very minor. I will point out here that at the time I made my reservations, LQ could not gurantee I would receive a non-smoking room. I'm not sure if they have changed their policy since then. As an architect, I view smoking inside a public facility as a life safety issue. It should just not be permitted, period. I strongly suggest that LQ corporate consider this system-wide.

Overall, I had a great stay here as part of a memorable vacation. I strongly recommend this facility to anyone on a budget who is visiting southern Orlando or the parks!

Room Tip: Book early and be as specific as possible in your requests! There are no
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Analogkid1958
Pompano Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

Nice hotel. Clean. The people at the front desk were great.

• Stayed July 2011
Luling, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed one night on our way in to Disney and loved it. Huge room for the price and everything was clean and great!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple