“Great location and value for money”

Blue Heron Beach Resort
Ranked #80 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
queen_of_the_skys
“Great location and value for money”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Most definitely would return to the blue heron resort. The location for attractions could not be better without paying high prices to stay on resort. The resort is a great base with clean tidy and modern apartments great for a base in Orlando, they have all the facilities you would need in the apartments to make your stay comfortable

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view of the lake
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank queen_of_the_skys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 15, 2013

staff at hotel was excellent. we were allowed to check in early as our flight arrived at 9AM. our returning flight was delayed until 12AM and we were able to stay in the room until about 9PM. Room was super clean and spacious. loved the kitchen and washer/dryer in the unit. pool area is great. hotel is about 5 minutes from disney. tons of restaurants and stores in walking distance. got a great rate for this room last minute. stayed with 2 adults and 2 children with room to spare. the view was beautiful, overlooking the lake and you can watch the fireworks at disney from the hotel.

1 Thank jessica B
BHBR-Manager, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Heron Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience to other travelers who are wanting to make a reservation at the Blue Heron Beach Resort. Your review is greatly appreciated and well stated. I am glad you enjoyed everything that we have to offer and do hope we will see you back again soon.

The Management at The Blue Heron Beach Resort
Hazel Grove
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had never been to Florida prior to our stay at the Blue Heron Beach resort so in truth we didn't know what to expect or where exactly it was in relation to the Disney parks. I can honestly say that if you want to visit Disney it is the perfect place to stay. The apartments themselves are fantastic. We took three children aged 10, 9 and 6 who thoroughly enjoyed their experience. There was a Double on-suite for my wife and I, a twin on-suite for our middle two and further bedroom with bunk beds. The place was spotless when we arrived and the complimentary cleaning we received was first class. After being cleaned it was as though we had just arrived! The reception staff were extremely helpful and concierge service for the most part very efficient. We used the free bus shuttle most days and although this was a little wayward in terms of times, we couldn't complain too much as it was free. I would definitely stay at the Blue Heron again if I was basing my holiday around Disney. Its location is perfect for the Disney parks and the pool and facilities are exactly as advertised. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ianwarbHazelGrove
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My significant other and I came down to Orlando on a trip that was part vacation, part work. Our stay at the Blue Heron was for vacation. We switched to the Marriott Orlando World Center for a conference halfway through the trip and had a less than pleasant experience at that hotel (putting it mildly), which only made us love Blue Heron even more. We stayed at Blue Heron from 5/31/13 to 6/3/13.

We had to check in late on our arrival date, around 11:00pm. Check-in went smoothly and we were able to get settled quickly. There is a Walgreens right across the road from the resort, so we went over there right away to get a few things for our fridge. Beware that crossing the road on foot is a bit scary, and Walgreens is quite overpriced, but regardless, it was great to have it so close to us since we didn't have a car!

We were so excited when we got into our condo. It was so wonderful! If memory serves me correctly, we were in Tower 1, Room 1-304. There was a nice bedroom with its own bathroom right when we walked in. The was a long hallway with bunks along the wall (we didn't use them since it was just the two of us), a stacked washer and dryer, and a second bathroom that was very nice. The kitchen and living room areas were tiled and great. Furniture was in good condition as well. We soaked in our beautiful poolside view that night, and we were pleasantly surprised to see a lake beyond the pool view the next morning. Sounds silly, but we didn't even know the lake was there since we couldn't see it the night we first got there. So gorgeous, and such a nice surprise! (See photo.) We really just loved the view and having the ability to eat our breakfasts at the cute little table on our patio. The patio could have been kept up a little better (there were a few cobwebs and such), but it was still very nice. We enjoyed the music playing out by the pool as we ate breakfast too!

We are pretty simple travelers, so we LOVED having the ability to cook our own food in the condo. Pots and pans were slightly limited, but definitely served our purposes. We only wished we stayed longer so we could have stocked up on more food and stayed for our whole trip. We're already talking about that for the next time we come back. :) Having laundry in the condo was also wonderful. They even provided some detergent and told us to just let them know if we needed more, so that was awesome. We did a load of clothes and everything went smoothly.

The pool was quite nice. I thought there was a rather small amount of chairs given how many units are there, but fortunately, it didn't pose an issue for us during our stay. One thing that we really loved was the fact that if you wanted, you could bring your own drinks (including alcohol) down to the pool, as long as they weren't in glass containers. I feel like that's a bit rare, and it was a huge perk considering we had bought alcohol for our condo and were able to enjoy it down by the pool as we relaxed. (No, we are not crazy partiers. We just like to have a few drinks while on vacation:). There IS a tiki bar by the pool as well. From what we learned, it is not actually run or owned by the resort, but Linda (the woman who works there) was absolutely fantastic. We got to know her decently well during our stay and loved having the opportunity to get to interact with her while we were there. She made us feel very welcome and even gave us tips on things in the area (i.e., Dollar Tree, her favorite restaurant, etc). She was the only staff we really encountered for an extended period of time on our stay because we didn't have a need to really interact with them given that we were kind of on our own in the condo. We also met a man named Edwin from the resort who was very kind as well. We really enjoyed our time by the pool and thought it was neat to walk around the little pathways by the lake behind the pool too.

There is a mini golf place right next to the resort, and we took advantage of that. It was a great time and relatively reasonably priced.

A few other things to note in general about our stay and the resort that people might find helpful to know:

1) People staying at the resort have to use their room keys to use the elevator or stairwells. Slightly inconvenient, but made me feel a lot safer considering the floors and hallways were somewhat open. Luggage carts are simply kept outside the elevators, so finding one on our way out was a bit tough. We got one though!

2) The window in our bedroom had a view to the outdoor corridor and maintenance closet. Needless to say, we kept those curtains closed.

3) The toilet in the bathroom connected to our bedroom wouldn't stop running when you used it and eventually didn't seem to want to flush at all. We just used the second bathroom for the rest of the trip.

4) We don't have kids, but for those who do, there isn't a ton to do besides swim for kids. There is an arcade, but it's quite small. From what I gather, many people choose Blue Heron because of its proximity to Disney, so perhaps the on-site activities don't matter for most people. Certainly didn't impact us at all.

5) I could see how some people might think the outside appearance of the resort was a bit 'dingy.' I personally didn't mind at all and thought everything in the common areas was pretty clean and nice.

6) There is no WiFi. We couldn't seem to figure out the ethernet thing either, so we didn't use internet at all (aside from our phones). Had we desperately needed it, we would have figured it out, but since we were just there to relax and enjoy, it wasn't a big deal for us personally. Business people might find that unappealing, though, because you can only connect to the internet by the cord in the kitchen. Keeps you a bit limited.

7) Not sure about all condos, but the two TVs in ours were quite old. We spent most of our time outside by the pool and such, so this wasn't a big deal, but if people are looking for a truly pleasurable TV/movie watching experience, this might be an issue for you.

8) If you're unfamiliar with Florida, there are lots of little lizards roaming freely. We saw plenty of them at the resort, but they never bothered anyone and weren't in places they didn't belong, meaning they were all outdoors by the trees and such.

9) There are some resort fees associated with the stay that aren't included in your original rate. An avid traveler would know this ahead of time if they simply look at Blue Heron's website where it is clearly explained. We didn't mind that at all With my partner's AAA card, we were able to get a room for $87 per night, plus the resort fees. Say what?! Still can't believe how reasonable it was (especially compared to the big conference hotel we had to switch to) for such a pleasant stay. If you indicate that you have a AAA card when you booked, make sure you have your card along with you on the trip or they will have to increase your rate. We almost couldn't find ours, so that would have been unfortunate. I found it interesting that when I booked the condo (by phone), I was not asked for the AAA number. I was told I should have been asked in that call, but I wasn't. Fortunately, it didn't affect us, but just thought I'd let people know to bring their card to ensure the cheaper rate!

I believe that covers pretty much everything. As you can see, we were incredibly happy with our stay. For those who want full service and all major resort amenities, this may not be the place for you, but it was absolutely perfect for us as we are pretty low maintenance and didn't need much for housekeeping or staff interaction. Check out was a breeze and they called us a cab to get us to our next destination, which is always helpful in an unfamiliar city. I would highly recommend Blue Heron and will definitely be staying here again if/when we come back to Orlando!

Room Tip: I didn't see any other rooms, but based on what I could see, I would recommend Tower 1 and a poo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ReneeS828
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We brought our 10 and 14 year old granddaughters to see Disney World. My sister and her husband joined us. We had two rooms and we were so impressed how large the condos were. Beautiful view of Lake Bryan and the gorgeous, immaculate (not to mention HUGE pool)!! Watched Magic Kingdoms fireworks several evenings from the property also. My husband is a lap swimmer and managed to get his workouts in because of the size of this pool. We did not use their shuttle service because their times did not suit us. We wanted the flexibility of our arrival and departure to the parks - but our location made it a breeze to come and go with minimal problems. With our AAA discount and time we were there (May 29 - June 5) the price was a steal and we dealt with smaller theme park crowds. The staff could not have been more pleasant or accommodating. Guess you can tell we were more than pleased!!

3 Thank TNAnnieP
Cantonment, Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Don't know where to begin. It was awesome. My grandchildren loved the pool. Me and my two daughters loved everything. The pool and the awesome views from both balconies. One balcony facing the lake and one facing city where Disney fireworks could be seen. Rooms were plenty big enough and plenty of sleeping space. We were a party of 7 and that was a biggy. Place was 2 miles from walmart, 1 mile from golden corral and walking distance to dollar tree, starbucks and a souvenir shop. Disney parks within 2 miles driving. If you choose to cook in, everything you need is provided. I will for sure reserve the condo again if I ever return to Orlando area. The rates, compared to everyone else, are extremely affordable. What more could you want. Staff very friendly also. I will be sure to recommend this place to my friends and family. We were in tower two on 7th floor. I loved it but if you are afraid of heights Id get a lower level.

2 Thank Penny N
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 9, 2013

First off let me say we vacation down in Orlando every summer so we have stayed in probably over 20 different hotels. As our family has grown a need for a larger room with more than one bedroom has increased. Blue Heron provides a 2 bedroom - really 3 rooms to sleep while still having washer/dryer, full kitchen, and living room. Fantastic. The service is wonderful - they only are present if you need them. otherwise it is like staying at your own vacation home - no one is bothering you. If you do need them - they are there in a flash - we had an issue with our Fridge and it was fixed within 30 minutes even at 10pm. We also left something in the room and John personally went to the room - found it and shipped it to us at home. you cannot beat that service. The location puts you right between universal, magic kingdom, and sea world. takes 5 minutes to get to downtown disney - a great place to start and end the road trip. a perfect hotel for our needs. Great work

Room Tip: every room is a good one.
2 Thank dave j