“Excellent Location, Nice Property”

Blue Heron Beach Resort
Ranked #71 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent Location, Nice Property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Nice property overall. There are some signs of wear on the exterior, which is odd, since the building is only about three years old. They should fix the stucco as it indicates that other issues of maintenance may be deferred.

We met a delightful couple who lived full time at the building. This is a "condo-hotel" building with each unit individually owned. The couple added to the positive experience, as they shared helpful hints for our Disney vacation.

We did not like the transportation to the parks that was included for an additional $12.50 per day "resort fee". This was a fee that we were not expecting and it was not valued.

The rooms were very nice and clean and the views from the balcony were great!

The main street was very busy over the weekend, but not too bad.

The lack of continental breakfast was disappointing. I guess we just expected that one would be included as they are very typical.

The Internet access was great and the full cable TV menu was good.

The design of the units left something to be desired, as the bedroom was along the corridor and the noise from other guests early in the morning and late at night was magnified.

The parking lot was good and there is a Cici's Pizza in front, which provided cheap all-you-can-eat meals.

This is close to everything.

Room Tip: Get a high floor to alleviate pool noise. Get a room on the ends to alleviate the noise from the co...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank WorldTraveler007-01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
Grand Rapids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

We absolutely loved this place. Admittedly most of our days were spent at disney so we pretty much just slept and ate here. My kids are young and still need naps. Additionally, they are picky eaters and will not eat most restaurant food. We would often pack lunches to disney and then come back for nap and a dinner. Then back to Disney in the evening. The resort is probably like 5 miles or so from Disney. I can not remember the exact distance but, it was not far. Also, for starbucks addict like me it was a bonus that there was a starbucks right in front of the resort. That way I could get my coffee in the morning on the way to Disney. The pools at the resort were nice. We played in them a few times. They were never overly crowded when we were there. They had a little kid pool are which we used a few times. They also had two or three regular pool areas depending on how you count the one pool. A big one that some people said was two separate but technically you could swim from one to the other so I count it as one. Then I think they had two hot tubs as well but, who in their right mind wants to use a hot tub in Florida heat? :) We used them once and they were nice but the weather was just to hot for me to enjoy hot tubbing. The rooms were well equipped and plenty roomy. Our family of four felt like we had so much room to move about compared to most hotel rooms. They had a king bed in the bedroom and two bunk beds in the hall plus a pull out couch. All of the furniture was in pretty good shape. We noticed a lose table leg on an end table here or there but, the place was frankly in good shape. The bathrooms were plenty large and fantastic to have two bathrooms with a family of four. The only piece of marketing that I thought was a bit of a stretch was that you can see the fireworks from disney from the resort. While technically true you can indeed see the fireworks but they are a long way off and you can only see the really high ones. I suppose if you were on a higher floor you might be able to see more. We were on the 8th floor.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank crash1204
Berwick, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

This was our second year in a row at Blue Heron and I can thoroughly endorse the previous excellent reviews of this property.
As noted, it is all about Location Location Location coupled with excellent facilities.
Some comments about previous negative postings:
- Traffic : Not at all bad as painted once you have figured out the road layout, which lane to be in etc. We were there Labour Day weekend and were never delayed longer than 5 mins.
- Housekeeping : Excellent. Absolutely no issues. Suite was spotlessly cleaned once per week as promised.
- Car Parking : Covered garage is a real boon in keeping the car cool. Pillars are painted pink and so there can be little room for complaint if you somehow manage to hit one.
- Timeshare Sales : Never bothered in the slightest. Had a couple of friendly social chats with Kevin from Sales at the pool who simply said to call by if interested if not don't sweat it.
- Suite : Again no issues. Very clean and fixtures and fittings present and correct.

Niggles.
- Coat Hangers : After reading the reviews didnt think this would irritate but it did. Unpacked the cases after a long journey to find there werent any in the suite. Bought 10 for $2.50 at Wal Mart to resolve but would it be that much of an effort for management not to do this and avoid the headache?
- Noise : Really had issues with the suite above this year. Problem is the tiled floor which magnifies the sound of furniture and chairs being moved across it. Guests are probably oblivious to how loud this is in the rooms below. Again simple management fix of a small notice in the suite to highlight the issue?
- Short term guests : This really was an irritant. Because the Blue Heron can accomodate 8-10 in a suite there was examples of large family groups packing out a suite for one or two nights as a low cost option. One group on our floor checked in at 4 am and allowed the kids to run riot on the landing for 30 mins while they unpacked??? There was even a Bus Load of teenagers on a field trip who checked in for two nights and ruined the calm atmosphere at the pool etc. If the Blue Heron wants to be the luxury resort it aspires to and is selling memberships for, this really needs to be addressed, I personally would restrict rentals to 5 days or longer but I suppose short term financial gain will be the driver.
- Pool Area : Noticed a much more lax staff presence at the Pool area. This led for example to life saving rings regularly being used as kids toys in the pool. Nit picking I know but think of the scope for disaster and the follow up law suit.

Hopefully this is not too long winded and constructive in nature.
If you are thinking of booking absolutely go for it!

7 Thank CB11
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

I am a picky traveler & like the comforts of home where ever I go. I read the reviews I believe this place is a 4.5-5 star resort no doubt! If you want room service go to a boring hotel where you have a small room & no comfort. After staying here it was an ideal place to stay. My Huge Room was clean from top to bottom. The photos on the web are true & the room diagram is especially a nice touch. Check in was fine & I didn’t have any hassles from receiving my parking pass at all. My room had 2 full bedrooms (1 room had nice twin beds and was very roomy. It had its own full bathroom with double access doors).
There’s Granite in both bathrooms, window ledges & all kitchen counters. The kitchen had it all including a bose radio & internet connection. The decorative details throughout the room was stylish. The Bathrooms were fully stocked with many, many towels & beach towels already. The master bath had a soothing large jetted bath tub. I needed it after a long day at the parks.
The bedrooms featured flat screen TVs & a flat screen TV in the living room. The master bedroom had its own balcony. I enjoyed watching the fireworks from my balcony the first night there. The second balcony was very large with a table & chairs. It overlooked the beautiful Florida lake. I was on floor 6. The property has a courteous & reasonably priced mini golf place right next door. Also next door is a Ci Cis pizza, Starbucks & Dunkin donuts. Walgreens is right across the street. The area was terrific & very easy to access the freeway to Universal & Disney is right down the way. All were less than 10 min drive. Family low cost buffet restaurants are less than 3 blocks away from this location. Upon entry to my room there was a courtesy note on my bed saying the carpet was freshly cleaned! How nice is that?! The washer & dryer was a well used item for us & having it allowed me to pack less than I regularly would. Blue Heron gives you a courtesy call from their hospitality staff to check on your needs upon arrival & prior to departure. They also provide you with discount restaurant & tourist coupons for spots nearby. There’s plenty of vacation books in the lobby & Wal Mart is less than 5 minutes away. It was so relaxing. The pool was really a nice spot. My son loved it & played ball with a nice couple from England. Comforting Latin or Caribbean music plays in the background at the pool. The property itself has a superb location, great staff, very clean grounds & convenient parking. I felt safe here as all areas were well lit & the guest are friendly. Special Hats off to Marcus the sales director for ensuring my family enjoyed their stay. I will come back to this location when visiting Orlando. Choose Blue Heron you wont regret it. It is a great feeling getting to your destination & seeing that your room is better than you could imagine on all levels.

Room Tip: Higher floor behind the miniature golf is gold. The golf place has a volcano eruption that is reall...
1 Thank TXSUMMERSUN
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We decided on the Blue Heron Resort and spa and before I went I was a little apprehensive as I ususally stay in 5 star private butler type of resorts. However, this hotel was such a comfort and everything was so easy!

I travelled with a 5 month old baby and 2 kids under 10. The room is huge, spacious and very clean. Check in was a breeze, took less than 10 minutes. Our room was 15th floor, which I highly recommend. The views are amazing and the bed comfy. There is ample space for kids, and the square footage in the family suite was great.

The kitchen is very well equipped with all modern appliances and they have washingup liquid, washing powder, dishwasher tablets, kitchen roll and all other amenties you may need. There is also all utensils, pots, pans and everything you could possibly need. Put it this was I cooked a dozen times there! Even curry.

The location is perfect, its near the outlets, at the footsteps of disney, seaworld and universal is about 8-10 mins drive. Its probably the most centralised place to stay.

Its not a 5 star fluffy resort, but its a practical, clean and children friendly resort. If you are looking for luxury and adult themed, then this is not ur place. If your travelling with kids, family and wanna top place to stay and save some money for your shopping then this is great.

We booked with southalltravel.co.uk and got a bargain with this holiday.
There is plenty of parking downstairs and there is food, shops, coffee, everything very close by.
Only down point is the car park stinks! I think the trash bins are located there and due to the heat, the smell is putrid!
However this will not affect your holiday coz the rooms are very very clean.
We had a great stay and I would def recommend this hotel

Room Tip: bring a frying pan if you want to cook yourself soem breakfast, as they have only saucepans no fryin...
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

The accomodations were excellent and stafff were friendly and always ready to give a helping hand, especially helpful was the facilities director, Kevin Derosier. The rooms were large with kitchen and laundry facilities. We enjoyed the beautiful view and watched the Disney fireworks from the patio. We took advantage of the pool and hot tub. IT was so relaxing. The service was excellent. We felt right at home. I would recommend staying at the Blue Heron to my family and friends anytime as it so close to all the Orlando attractions.

2 Thank pat v
Bromley, Kent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Like most of you reading this I am sure you have read many other reviews. And like myself I am sure some of them have given you concerns. Because of this I emailed the Blue Heron before we travelled to air some of these concerns. I not only got a fast reply but the hotel manager Jim gave me a call to speak to me direct. This reassured me completely. Then when we arrived I could see that the hotel was beautiful.

We travelled in a group of 12 and stayed in 2 luxury family rooms. These were on the 14th floor of tower 2 and were amazing. Lovely and clean with everything we could need during our 2 week stay. Very fast check in and no problem getting our parking permits for our 3 hire cars. No problem with parking at the hotel. We were not bothered by people trying to sell us time share. There was just a quick chat with Gary whilst we were at the pool one day. No pressure at all.

I can’t comment on expensive Disney tickets as we pre bought all of ours in the UK.

The hotel itself is very close to all the parks. About 5 minutes from Disney World, 7 from Sea World and 10 from Universal. Lots of food places very near to the hotel including, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Applebee’s, Santa Fe Steakhouse etc. Wal-Mart is about 5 minutes away plus there is a Walgreens opposite the hotel that sells most things you could need.

The hotel was really clean, pool areas lovely, plenty of sun loungers. Our room was cleaned half way through our stay with clean bedding and towels throughout. Only slight complaint was the sofa bed wasn’t that comfortable but is any sofa bed? The view from the 2 balconies were amazing. We saw the Magic Kingdom fireworks at 9pm and the sunrises and sunsets over the lake were amazing. All staff were friendly and helpful. Our front door played up and wouldn’t close properly, we informed the front desk and it was fixed in minutes.

This was our 5th visit to Orlando and we have no problems in recommending this hotel to our friends. We will hopefully be staying here again on our next visit.

Room Tip: higher floors = bettter views
3 Thank JeniPaul