“Nice Resort - Much Better Than We Expected”

Rosen Shingle Creek
Ranked #38 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 20, 2007

We were pleasantly suprised by our stay at the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort. We stayed for four nights to attend a convention on property. Our room was nicely furnished with two wondefully comfortable queen beds. These were some of the best hotel beds we've ever slept in! We upgraded to the conceige 14th floor level. The club was worth the extra $50 per night. Each evening hot appetizers were served. One night we made a meal out of it. They also allowed you to bring food from the downstairs deli so you could enjoy the discounted beer & wine in the club with your meal. Continental breakfast was served each morning with more than enough food - fresh fruit, breads, cereals, juices, etc.
The pool area was awesome. My three year old daughter loved the zero entry family pool.
The location to SeaWorld can't be beat. Only five minutes away and there's a McDonalds in between the hotel and the park. It made for a nice lunch stop on the way back for my daughter's nap (thus saving $$ on the overpriced park/hotel food).
My husband played the golf course twice (for $29 a round). He stated that it was a beautiful kept course - a real treat to play.
The only drawback is the valet. It's truly awful. The situation needs to be better managed especially when paying $18 a day. One afternoon upon returning from SeaWorld with an exhausted daughter, I waited in line at least five minutes only to be told that the Valet was closed. I told the guy that's too bad because I'm a guest that had paid $18 already that day and I had a tired little girl who needed a nap. I left the car and told the guy to find a place for it. There were several times there were no valet attendants around. I just walked up to the stand to told the young girl that she was now in charge of my rental car.
Overall, the resort was pleasant with a nice enough staff. The waiter in buffet was very nice and although there's 18% automatically tip added to the tab. We didn't mind because the service was excellent. The food quality and selection were good too (even if it was overpriced).
We'd return to this resort in the future especially for the golf, pool area, location to SeaWord and Universal and mostly for the wonderful beds!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank wvchick

Reviewed July 16, 2007

The staff was so nice and efficient. They looked like they sincerely enjoyed greeting every guest. It was clear they took pride in what they did and knew what they were doing.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I stayed at this property June 28-July 1st, 2007 for a conference. I was very apprehensive about this place because of the negative reviews on this site. Bottomline - although occasional hiccups may happen at any property, this place is awesome!!

Our check-in was wonderful. The girls were very nice. I wanted 2 rooms right next door to each other with queen beds each and a good view. We received exactly what we asked for. We added the VIP Concierge room upgrade for $50/night. This allowed access to the VIP Concierge lounge on the 14th floor, where we had breakfast every morning and evening snacks and unlimited beverages all day. This was a good deal because we had 6 people in our 2 rooms.

The room was very spacious with nice furniture and decor. I shared the room with my 2 diva sisters and toddler daughter. The room was very clean. The linens were of supreme quality. The flat tv was a nice touch. Our room also came with free internet.

The hotel has several pools, which we didn't use so I can't comment on them.

The lower level grocery store/deli/Haagen Daaz ice cream place was very useful to us. You can get deli sandwiches, hot paninis and any beverage you can think of. There are tons of snacks available as well. The grocery store part is open 24 hours.

The conference facilities are top notch. The hotel is very big, so make sure you take what you may need during the day since it is a hike to get back to the room.

The customer service was impeccable. We attended a large banquet with over 1,000 attendees. It was sit down dinner and the staff was wonderful in helping with everything from seating to getting more coffee promptly.

Our conference had 6,000 people there, but each and every member of the hotel staff always had a smile on their face and was helpful at all times.

I highly recommend this place. I would return with no hestitations if I were to go back to Orlando.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank ChicagoLondon
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Stayed at the Rosen Shingle for a trade show a few months ago.

The Good:
Rooms are very nice. Spacious with a large LCD TV. Beds are big and comfortable. Pool and hot tubs were great and open late. Grounds are beautiful and teaming with wildlife.

The Bad:
Conference Center is on the other side of the world. Staff was helpful, but not really knowledgeable - but the place is still relatively new so this should improve. Elevator wait times were bad Food was average at best even in the expensive restaurants, plus food is off the charts expensive.

I have another conference at this hotel in 2009, hopefully it will be better by then. I'd stay here again if my company is paying for it, but if I were on my own dime, I go somewhere else.

Also, they charge extra for everything - parking, gym, internet (my pet peave - why is it free at Holiday Inn, but $10-12 a day at nicer hotels?)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Need2TravelMuchMore
Reviewed July 1, 2007

My husband was attending a convention in Orlando and this resort was one of the sponsoring hotels. We were able to get a great rate for what this property normally goes for. I felt the need to write this review because I think the other ones didn't do it justice. First let me say, I have a 3 year old and this hotel is very kid friendly. There are 4 pools and two of them are geared towards the little ones. There is also a room called The Swamp which is entirely devoted to entertaining children for parents to enjoy themselves as well. If you don't want to leave your child there are activites to participate in together as well. Also, there is an outdoor playground for them to run some of that pent up energy out. Their standard rooms are very spacious, but we were lucky enough to get upgraded to their Hospitality Suite...which was larger than our house! Although, there were a few negatives about the hotel. Like the others said, the parking situation is terrible. You walk at least a mile from the parking lot to your room. Look at it this way, it's great exercise! Of course, the food is outrageous, but this should be expected from this type of resort. All and all, we had a wonderful time and we fully expect to return in the future and I encourage all of you to do the same.

1  Thank jess1111
Reviewed July 1, 2007

I'm at the Orlando airport on way home after staying the last 4 nights at the "Resort". It's a huge property much like a Vegas hotel. The rooms are nice, comfortable bed - decent size. A/C does not work great - no way to adjust the level - either on or off - no hi, lo, medium. The mini fridge makes tons of noise but does not keep that cold.

I paid an extra $50/night to updgrade for access to the Concierge lounge. They offer a continetal breakfast - some fruit & cereals - only made it twice as it ends by 10 am; they offer 2 laptops so you can access the internet or bring your own laptop for slow connection. They have a few appetizers in the evening and then some dessert later. Soft drinks are free but wine & beer is $2 each - should be free at this rate. The room itself is nice and the staff very friendly but does not come close to the Ritz Carlton Club Level.

Restaurants are over-priced - ate at the fancy steak house where they tout they special steaks - not that great. Go a few miles to Ruth's Chris and have a much better steak dinner.

Fitness center is not bad but they charge $10/day or $20 for the length of your stay.

Convention center is a long walk from the lobby. The exhibition hall was real warm - they need to up the A/C.

Overall, an ok place to stay in Orlando. Staff is friendly and helpful. Need a rental car as nothing is that close by.

Reviewed June 25, 2007

One expects a very high standard of quality for a resort such as the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort. I found that this resort does not live up to the expectation.

The rooms are of an average size, with very comfortable beds. However, the light fixture in the room entry was missing a bulb, very visible because the light cover was not there. Tacky.

Secondly, our room received no maid service on our third day there, significant because we returned from an exhausting day at Universal Studios and looked forward to resting in our paid-for relaxing environment. Instead, we found unmade beds and towels all over the uncleaned bathroom. It took TWO calls to get this resolved, and we had to depart once more from the room to await the cleaning (they did at least send three maids to expedite the process).

Third, the food was greatly overpriced, whether it was the coffee shop, the restaurants, or the "deli." We went to the restaurant for a buffet lunch ($15.50 per person) and found an 18% tip was automatically added -- for a 3-person party. Gee, give me a choice about spending my money! If you order a food delivery, the Rosen Shingle Creek policy is that the guest must go outside and receive the food -- a somewhat obvious attempt to limit your choices to the hotel's food. All this is wearying during a 5-day visit. We were there for a conference and somewhat trapped. The room contained NO microwave (surprise) and a very small marginally cold refrigerator not even large enough to hold the take-out trays provided in the deli!

Rosen Shingle Creek Resort has a very nice swimming area, open until midnight. The surroundings and landscaping are beautiful, and that is a good thing. However, guests must pay an additional $10/day for the use of their exercise and fitness facility. What? Not only that, but the internet access in the room is another $10/day. Use of their shuttles to go anywhere incurs yet another fee. This resort is not within walking distance of any main thoroughfare.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's high-priced Orlando, but I felt that this hotel does not deliver to the level it should for the price. Perhaps the golfing patrons are receiving the best value at this facility.

3  Thank Polyrose