“Beware of hotel transportation rip off.”

Rosen Shingle Creek
Ranked #34 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed August 17, 2008

The hotel stay, staff, and amenities were what you would expect from a hotel like this. It would get at least 4 stars from me except this one thing. I feel the need to warn everyone about it.

If you need transportation to the airport, DO NOT use the hotels limo service. I was there for a convention and hundreds of people were leaving the same day, I had hooked up with three others going to the airport, to share the cost. They were flying on Airtran together, I was flying on Delta. The Hotel transportation said that it would be $42 for the three of them, and it would cost me $42 alone. The reason was it would be 2 stops. We saw other transportation services there, so we asked, and the other service took the 4 of us to the airport for a total of $42.

When we arrived at the airport we all got out together because Airtran and Delta use the same entrance door.

Someone was pocketing a few extra dollars.

Stay here, but don't use the hotel's limo service to get to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank danno719
There are newer reviews for Rosen Shingle Creek

Reviewed August 14, 2008

This place was beautiful on the outside but the stay was a nightmare. I was charged twice for the room on my Visa. Yes, twice for a 5 night stay at $179.00 a night plus tax. The transaction put my card over the limit and I had to scrimp by the next 5 days on the cash I had on hand. I was stressed out my entire stay. Sure the 2nd transaction was cleared up later but it ruined my entire trip. They wouldn't even give me a voucher to eat at their restaurants or offer any compensation for the blunder. They even charge $8 a day to park your car! Then you have to walk a mile to the hotel. You get that bill at the end of your stay.

2  Thank Mstoby
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Very nice property. Clean, no rude employee incidents, room service regularly.

My room was spacious and neat but did not have a tub. Huh? And the liner for the shower did not provide splash guard so there were water puddles on the floor each time I showered.

It is remotely located, almost like being on an island if you don't have a car. Luckily, shuttle service was provided for my Convention so there was seamless travel (via Mears) to the Convention Center. There is a 'fun shuttle' that takes you to Universal City Walk complimentary but only on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Food overpriced for room service and the 24-hour deli.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 28, 2008

After reading other reviews, I was somewhat leery of this hotel. What a surprise. Although it is on the pricey side, our room was big and beautiful, with a flat screen TV, beautiful view and good beds. Ate breakfast at the hotel, and our waiter was charming, and service was great. Being a Florida resident, I was happy to be off the beaten path, although it's close to everything. Our parking ticket was validated and the $8 fee was waived since we were staying at the hotel. Our check in was immediate with no waiting, short wait for valet. Overall, I'd recommend this hotel. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2008

My wife and I stayed here while she attended a national conference being held at this location. Be advised that this complex is associated with a hospitality program at a local university; all the help are students.
On arrival on the 17th we were informed that the reservations were made for an arrival on the 14th (which they were not) and that we would be charged a $330 "no show" fee! My wife insisted that her email with this hotel from two months earlier showed us a arrival date of the 17th. We were informed that internet was $12.00 a day, but if she wanted to make a copy of her email she cold go to their business center and print a copy for $2.00!
This hotel nickel and dimes a person to death. There is a charge for EVERYTHING. It is also isolated...like a big, pink prison...the nearest Publix is about a mile walk away, and I Drive is about two miles away. Thank goodness my inlaws live in Orlando, or I wold have been a prisoner here while my wife attended her sessions. This hotel is also HUGE...everything is miles of walking away.
After much negotiating with the help we were able to get the no show fee canceled, so that was decent of them.
Also, this is a 'green' hotel...water from the tap and shower literally came out at a trickle.

4  Thank sheltiedad
Reviewed June 28, 2008

Great hotel, excellent food with many choices in regard to price. Gorgeous grounds and great golf course. Fitness center average with no organized classes , as you may find at other resorts of this caliber. The staff were outstanding and helpful in every way. The pools were centrally located and well equipped with towels, chairs. This hotel is not very entertaining for the younger crowd( children).However the shuttles to Sea World, and Universal were timely and free. This was a great place to relax after a hot day at Universal....kick back with a couple cool ones at the pool while the kids play and go to the arcade. Great for adult vacations that desire quiet, golf and walks on the nature trail.

1  Thank PWD_lover
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I booked this hotel as part of a convention. I was waitlisted and confirmed at a sister property, The Rosen Plaza. A few weeks before the conference, I received a call stating that my name had cleared the waitlist and I was confirmed at the Shingle Creek property. A few weeks later, I was contacted again and informed that my name had cleared the waitlist and was offered an executive suite at the same convention rate. Great, I thought, but was also puzzled why I receiving another phone call. I told the agent that I had been called before regarding clearing the waitlist and to confirm that they had record of this. The agent informed me that she would put comments in the reservation record that in case the other reservation surfaced (she couldn’t find it) that it was not a duplicate record. This phone call was lengthy and took valuable time out of my day.
Of course, when I checked in, my reservation was cancelled as it was perceived the reservation was a duplicate – or someone else checked in with my same name). After 20 minutes of searching for the record, the agent informed me that they could not honor the reservation for an executive suite (even though I had a printed reservation with an executive suite confirmed.) I was offered and accepted a move to an executive suite the next day.
When I got my credit card statement, I received a no-show charge from the Rosen Plaza, my correct charges that I approved upon check-out, and other charges that I am investigating. (I called the accounting department and the phone was answered promptly and was then put on hold for 5 min without explanation.)
This is a totally disorganized hotel. To make things worse, charges add up easily (self-park, internet access, etc.). Worst gauging was the business center where I paid $3.00+ to send a one-page domestic fax. To avoid paying $1.00/page printing, suggest driving 15 min to Staples, and pay .09/page.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo