“Two Star at Best”

Rosen Shingle Creek
Ranked #33 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I came to this hotel based on the positive reviews and raves given, but towards the end I was wondering if they were comparing the same hotel I just stayed at.
To begin with, my wife and I checked in and the front desk clerk could not find our reservation. I told her my card was already charged with the deposit and she only mentioned I was not in the system. After calling back home for our confirmation number, we gave it to her and the idiot pinhead who took our reservation put my last name as the first name, and vice versa. This was a careless error and it was inexcusable.
Another fiasco was when my wfe and I decided to go to the lobby bar and run a tab. The bar was quite busy and I wanted to run a tab. They insisted that they keep my card in their drawer, I denied it and the one male bartender rudely said they had to keep the card behind the bar as collateral! Reluctantly I allowed them to keep the card so my tab could stay open. Towards the end of the night I made sure my wife got back to the room okay and I decided to go back to the lobby bar and close my tab. By the time I got down to the bar, everything was put away and the bartenders were cleaning up. I asked to close my tab and they could not find my card. After doing a quick skim and not actually looking, they still could not find my card. It was only after I(threatened to call the police and reported the hotel for theft did the card magically reappear. I believe in karma and this hotel will get its just desserts one day.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kelson881
There are newer reviews for Rosen Shingle Creek

Reviewed January 7, 2008

Hospitality at its best! We enjoyed the ambience and the natural habitat incorporated into the beautiful resort and the surroundings.
Our room was beautifully appointed and the jacuzzi tub was delightful.
I was born to spa and the spa at Shingle Creek did not disappoint. :-)
The staff throughout the entire resort were cheerful, courteous and very accommodating.
The Marketplace is a wonderful, unexpected delight. You can enjoy a quick meal, or a delicious dessert on the run 24 hours a day!
We were somewhat reluctant to stay at the resort because of some of the reviews on-line. As a frequent traveler, we found the resort to be one of the best.
We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I go to an annual convention that offers several hotels to choose from and this year we chose Shingle Creek. I started worrying a little after reading reviews but this is a very nice hotel. No it is not a Ritz or Four Seasons but they don't pretend to be either.
There were 900 cheerleaders (or so we were told) staying at the same time but except for seeing them, you never would have known it. The staff was friendly at every encounter and service was excellent. We had a problem with our remote control that was fixed immediately and we had a follow-up phone call to insure we knew the problem had been handled. We ate at Cala Bella which was delicious. And yes it was expensive but so what, if you want a cheaper hotel/restaurant go stay there. Breakfast buffet was very good and service there was also commendable considering they add the tip to the bill for you. My only word of caution are the beautiful black automobiles outside just dying to take you somewhere. Skip them and ask for a yellow or city taxi. They may sneer a bit but it will save you QUITE a few dollars.
We will happily stay here again next year as it was our most enjoyable trade show by far.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dcbi
Reviewed January 6, 2008

I have never taken the time to write a review. This time I felt I had to only because some reviews of this hotel were in my opinion so off. My wife and 4 year old daughter had an excellent stay at this hotel. We booked before reading reviews because anything else comparable was too pricey and this hotel had an excellent deal for the 12/31 - 1/5 week. We drove up and were immediately taken care. Christian, the bell man had our luggage in our room in about 10 minutes after we checked in and was very friendly. Check in time is at 3:00. We were there at noon and there was no problem. Every staff member we encountered greeted us kindly. The room was clean. The view of the golf course and nature trail did seem to go on forever. We were able to see the fireworks of the parks from our window.The beds were among the most comfortable I have experienced. The amenities were of good quality. A daily USA Today was given. The halls are well lit, felt safe and clean. The pools are gorgeous and heated. The service at the pool bar was perfect, the waitress there came over to us readily. There is not an extra resort fee like in most hotels. They charge $8 for parking and there is a fee if you want to use the gym. I prefer paying for these services only as needed as opposed to being charged a daily resort fee. Most hotels I have stayed in charge $13 - $20 a day for resort fees. The market is convenient, large and not over priced. They prepare fresh made to order pizza there among other things. The restaurant is expensive. There is a Publix and McDonalds nearby. The hotel is off SR528. Its just a few minutes away from all the parks. The location is quiet and traffic free. I will compare this to a 4 star Hilton. If you want the Ritz this is not it. We got a great deal, but if I had to pay over $200 a night I will stay at the Hilton across Downtown Disney.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I just returned from a last minute vacation to Disney World. My husband and I stayed at the Rosen because all the Disney Resorts were booked. We were really impressed with the cleanliness of this resort and felt that our room was spacious, comfortable, and perfect for a short stay. Our room had two queen beds with very nice linens. I thought the beds were as comfortable as the Hilton and Marriott beds. We normally stay in Hiltons or Marriotts when traveling. I am very picky about cleanliness, and the minute we entered our room, I had no worries about this. As far as service goes, it is a very large resort, so we did have to wait about 30 minutes for extra towels. However, when we arrived at the hotel the first day, we were immediately offered help with our luggage and were quickly given our room number. We even received a complimentary breakfast one morning b/c my husband called the front desk to mention that the large group of teenagers staying on our hall was being extremely noisy. They offered to send security and arrived with our voucher for breakfast. All in all, we enjoyed our stay. We felt the rooms were clean, spacious, and very nicely furnished. We enjoyed having a mini-fridge, lots of towels, and good service. My only complaint would be that they charged $8 a day for parking and the lots were beyond full each night. My husband had to walk a long way each night. I think the parking fee is excessive. Other than that, I was very pleased!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SCLucy
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Very nice units. As nice as some Ritzs (minus the service). Staff was friendly. Great value and easy to get to - just a few extra minutes off the highway. Easy drive to I - Drive and Universal.
Highly recommend a look. Beware of the self-parking that is quite a trek from the property but they charge you $8 a day....

• Stayed: December 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Magicman22
Reviewed December 27, 2007

This was my second stay at the Rosen Shingle Creek. My second stay was much worse than the first.

I recently stayed at the Rosen Shingle Creek for 5 total nights with family for Christmas. Upon entry into my brother's room after check-in, the room did not have the two queen beds as requested...it was a king. While calling the front desk to adjust, my teenage niece shreeked and ran to the hotel room door.....she spotted a used condom laying on the hotel room floor right beside the bed. After 15 minutes, several hotel managers arrived to sooth our concerns and promised a full investigation. For compensation, they offered free refreshments for my family. I balked and said, I believe a free nights stay would be more appropriate. The hotel manager fulfilled my request.

The rest of the stay was ok. My dad found old food and debri under his bed and we finally found the TV remote on the last day under the bed.

The hotel charges a ridiculous $8 per day to park.....simply insane due to the price of the room.

Upon return home and checking my credit card account to see if proper charges were applied, I have found that I was charged for my room at the correct rate. Then I was charged for my dad's room at 2 times the correct rate. (My dad issued his own credit card at check-in; the hotel did not move the charges to his card correctly.) Also, there is a mysterious $100 flat charge on my credit card for some reason. I'm on the phone as I write waiting for customer service to help me out.

The Rosen is a very beautiful and nice hotel. The Spa is extremely nice. However, the hotel gives you the feel that it is being operated by interns. The staff, professionalism, and attention to detail is on par with a Days Inn, not a five star hotel.

I would stay again at the hotel, but only if I found a really inexpensive rate.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family