“Repeat Guest - Shop Around for Great Rates”

Rosen Shingle Creek
Ranked #30 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Jacksonville, Florida
“Repeat Guest - Shop Around for Great Rates”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed here again as a creature of habit. Don't judge me!

I was on the fence (ouch) for where to spend Labor Day weekend: Fort Lauderdale or Orlando. Having spent a few coins interviewing throughout the state for more than one month, I wanted the best value and Fort Lauderdale didn't offer what I wanted given my budget. That's when I remembered Troy S.' comments to my previous review and tapped his digits into my iPhone to see what he could do for me.

From the moment he answered that call and even until now, he has done an exceptional job in regards to professionalism, service and being human. No script reading here, no robotic speech, no "our policy is to quote you the rack rate and quadruple it." Just genuine service and the desire to make this guest happy. And his sense of humor has kept me giggling at work like a girl in middle school.

I won't delve further into the actual property details because most of the important aspects have already been discussed in previous reviews. This review's focus is on service, service and service and everyone I came into contact with had obviously earned their Ph.Ds in hospitality.

A few highlights:
1. The room was gorgeous, secluded and spacious and with fantastic views
2. Housekeeper LF made her work seem fun
3. The front desk staff had wonderful suggestions for a romantic night
4. A housekeeper supervisor (?) began addressing me by name!
5. Staff greeted me with smiles and warmth
6. The general manager personally responded to my guest comments within 24 hours
7. Troy, Troy, Troy (well, there's only one Troy I know of, but it's all about the emphasis, man!)

Could I stay at a national or global chain to begin accumulating points and rewards? You betcha.

Could I stay at the #1 Trip Advisor-rated hotel ? Of course.

Could I use my corporate account and be treated as another business traveler? Yes.

Will I? No.

In fact, Troy, Troy, Troy (aka 3T) is already taking care of my reservation for my birthday week in October. My only disappointment is that he advised me to keep my pet emu, llama, rhinoceros and penguin at home, but that I'm free to do what I want in my room without them. ;)

Room Tip: Won't give away too many secrets, but book early and be cheerful and polite when providing your...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MEstoy
tshoemaker, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Shingle Creek, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Mr. Estoy..... You really have out done yourself this time.

Thank you so much for your review on here and yelp! We appreciate the kind words.

As always, you have my number and email address if you need anything in the future.

Thanks!

Fax: 407-996-3150

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend. I knew it would be a nice place but it was even nicer than I expected. Upon entering the enormous lobby you get the feeling of pure elegance.If top notch staff and impeccably clean rooms are what you want, this is the place to stay in Orlando. I will agree that the parking lot is quite a way from the hotel but once you get there it is so worth it. The 4 pools give you a nice choice. There are so many choices of places to eat that on a weekend you couldn't try them all. But beware they are a little pricey.If you look around you can get great deals to stay here. I would reccomend staying here. it is just one block away from International Dr and lots of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
tshoemaker, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Shingle Creek, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you so much flowerde!

We appreciate the kind words you gave us on the most recent review.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with in the future.

Thanks,
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Our group from work stayed here for a training event and the accommadations were very nice. The hotel is huge and has many common areas to meet up at with sofas, chairs, tables, etc. All of the facilities were clean and the staff friendly.

The downsides to this hotel are that even with a Priceline deal (which is probably the only way we'd end up back here due to it's location) the extra fees for everything outweigh the positives. Internet and parking are very expensive and the restaurants on site charge an arm and a leg for food and drinks...even at happy hour!

I cannot fault the appearance, upkeep, or staff at the RSC resort but do not find it of value enough to justify the total cost for staying here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed here only for one night because we got a great deal via Priceline ($48/night!). This hotel normally goes for $200+ per night. For the price we paid, it was obviously worth it and we can't complain. But if we had paid full price, I'm not sure it is worth it. They do not include free wi-fi in the rooms or even in the lobby. If I was paying $200+ night I would think you could include the internet. It tends to be the high end hotels that play this game.

Property - It is really large, very beautiful and set back from the main road. The grounds are well kept, etc.

Pool - very nice pool area. They have 4 pools - a main pool, a kiddie pool, an adult pool and a lap pool. So you definitely have lots of choices! The pool areas were beauitful and huge. They seemed to have cabana areas as well so I'm assuming you had to rent those separately.

Room - the room was very nice. Sort of an ornate kind of style with large detailed furniture. Beautiful large bathroom with a separate toilet area. Definitely spacious enough. We had a nice view of the pools so definitely ask for a nice view. We weren't far from the elevators to the main lobby so there was no issue of having to walk very far (I know others have complained about that).

Parking - I read so many complaints on her about the parking. Valet parking is $20 and self park is $12. We went with valet because it is pretty far to walk from the self parking area. For $8 extra, why not? I think valet is the way to go. We were only there for one night so figured it was best. I guess if you were staying for 7 nights it would obviously add up.

Restaurant - we only had the breakfast buffet at the Cafe Osceola restaurant. It was very good and we thought worth the money. I can't recall the price but it was definitely under $20 per person. Lot of selection - made to order items, the usual bacon and eggs, smoked salmon, coffee/tea, orange juice, etc. Price wise it worked out better to get the buffet than to order off the menu.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is really quite beautiful, excellent customer service, etc. Again, my only negative is the price as it is on the high side for Orlando - but definitely try booking through Priceline because then it is a great 5 star deal!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello Elizabeth1972!

Thank you so much for the amazing review. It was definitely detailed and I'm sure will be helpful to many in the future.

My favorite part of coming to work is the drive up the driveway...it is so beautiful. I really wish I had an amazing view of the pool areas but I think they designed the building like this so we actually work and not stare at how amazing the water looks!

Although you mentioned that our prices are $200.00 plus per night, I would definitely recommend checking with us before purchasing online. We often have lower rates and specials.

We hope you stay with us again in the future. Thank you for choosing us!

Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I have visited the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort for the last two years at annual conferences. Both visits have been wonderful. The food, service and locations are just excellent. The hotel is like a miniature city which is perfect for conventions and other events. I personally enjoyed the spa and the boutique shops. You never know what you may find. The pools are beautiful too. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. My last visit, I was upgraded to a complimentary suite and it was fabulous. If you ever have the opportunity to book a suite, you won't regret it. They have a living area, dining, bar/kitchen and fold down bed.

I especially recommend the little coffee shop - delicious.

Thank you for the excellent service and I look forward to coming back next year.

Room Tip: The suites are beautiful
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hello Elizabeth1972!

We hope you stay with us again in the future. Thank you for choosing us!

Louisville, KY
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Very large property, room was nice and clean. Had variety of restaurants, one that was open 24 hours which I enjoyed. Staff was fairly nice, parking was a bit of a hike and expensive for Orlando, but I guess that is what you get. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thanks angelliz1968 for the comments of your stay. We greatly appreciate it.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Please don't hesitate to contact me personally if you have any questions or to book again in the future.

Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Pros: The impressive facility. Nice rooms with comfortable beds. The layout of the pool and restaurants. Guest services personal, very nice. $60 Priceline price.

Cons: extra cost of Wi-Fi, high cost of food and drinks (1 beer and 1 mixed drink cost around $18), the parking nightmare, and the resort doesn’t have an exclusive “feel” to it.

As my wife and I arrived, our immediate thoughts were that we had died and gone to heaven. It is a very beautiful and scenic hotel. But $20 for valet parking or $12 for self parking. And you cannot park at the doors to unload your luggage? So right away, you realize something is different.

The apparent marketing concept here is to get you to stay very cheap on the night’s stay, but then to nickel and dime you for every other amenity. I have to say I don’t like this concept. Honestly, I would have like to have paid MORE for the room and been given FREE parking and Wi-Fi.

The idea that you need to park far away AND not be able to drop your luggage at the door unless you valet park. Are you serious? This should be reevaluated for customer satisfaction. Not sure I can recommend this hotel in good faith to friends and family. michaelsliles@yahool.com

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Scott_Liles
tshoemaker, Guest Relations Manager at Rosen Shingle Creek, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Hi Scott_Liles.

Thanks for the review. I do apologize on behalf of the hotel about the cons that you talked about above but am happy to hear about the pros.

The one issue that I can address though is the pulling up to the door to unload your items. I do apologize about this. Although the staff doesn't allow the unloading/loading of personal items at the main entrance (to keep traffic flowing) we do have a section very close to the front doors that should have been pointed out to you. It is to the right of the main entrance as you pull up. I will let the valet team know to recommend this area to anyone needing extra time to load/unload.

I will email you personally to see if there is anything else I can assist with, but please always come to me if you have any questions in the future.

Thanks,