“You get what you pay for....”
Review of Parliament House

Parliament House
Ranked #37 of 155 Nightlife in Orlando
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I found the reviews on here a little confusing. Guys we are here to review the service, not the good time catching up with friends.

If you are looking for gay accommodation in Orlando I would suggest that you don't stay at Parliament House. As one guest quipped you don't come here to sleep, you come here to drink, party and have a good time..... "you go home to sleep". We didn't realise the truth of this statement until the next morning. If you have a room facing into the centre of the property you will be awake most the night. The bars within the complex shut down at 2:00 am and most people kick-on in the courtyard for a few hours longer. It is very noisy. That aside, it is very cruisy too and fun.

Our first mistake when booking was to ask for a nonsmoking room. They have very few and non of the suites are non-smoking so you don't have an option at the highest level of room being sold. Our second mistake was to be in a courtyard room. We wanted to have some fun but also rest.

The rooms are really old and poorly cleaned. They are at best equitable to some of the worst seediest motels we have experienced at the cheapest end of the USA accommodation scale - yet they are not priced to this scale. Old furnishings, dirty carpets embedded with years of life without a good clean and no natural ventilation (unless you leave the door open - which you may want to do for other reasons!) Whoop! I almost forget to mention the towels which are the size of a tea-towel, are thread bear and thin.

Our first room had a broken phone, power outlets that didn't work, a dripping toilet and a old bathroom that was in bad condition. On day two, after going out for lunch, we returned to find the A\C had failed (remember there are no opening windows). We went to the front desk and spoke with the guy there who indicated that they had tried to call us but we didn't answer our phone (they seem to have forgotten that we reported the defective phone the day before!!!!). All we got was an, "Oh! dear!, well the A\C will not get fixed until tomorrow so we might be able to get you a fan!" Finally, after my getting frustrated and a little angry the Tennessee queen on the front desk sucked her teeth and said that she would put us upstairs and assigned us a room change. However, on inspection it was not the mid range room priced room like that which we had booked. It was, however, facing the car park and therefore, quieter once we were ready to sleep. The very helpful maintenance man sourced a fridge and microwave finally getting us set up. We still had the annoyance of a room change and a less than helpful receptionist, who at one point when I complained said condescendingly, "well I think that what you probably need is one of our adjoining condominiums which have a kitchen, bathroom, lounge and bedroom with a flat screen TV. They start at $149! - you get what you pay for you know!" Had I been aware that this level of accommodation was available I would have seriously considered it but it is not advertised and at this late stage I wasn't prepared for more disruption.

Ironically, this isn't cheap accommodation for the standard of the rooms. We are well travelled and know what is value for money. It is yet again one of those places where they are happy to milk the pink dollar and provide nothing knowing that gay people crave for a place to hang out together. Our lesson is yet to be learnt in this regard, book at a non-gay establishment where you get more value. Not even internet is included, they charge at a rate of $13 daily (we had our own wireless despite all the places we had stayed in to date in the USA providing free wifi - so whilst it didn't impact upon us, it further illustrates the attitude here to be dollar driven). We had planned two more visits back to Parliament House during our 3 weeks in Florida on vacation but that is now changed - we'll source better options elsewhere.

The cleaning staff were very sweet and seemed to counter balance the Tennessee Bell at the front desk!

I leave this place with his words ringing in my ears......... "You get what you paid for!"

Honey, they obviously don't pay you very much!! Guess we therefore, shouldn't expect good customer service?

9  Thank RicknSimon

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I'd heard some bad comments but let me tell you, the Parliament House is SO cool! I am a cross dresser and was told about things that led me to believe that CD's weren't welcome there. Nothing can be further from the truth! I was welcomed openly by all the gays, the straights and the cross-dressers although there were few CD's.

Yes, the rooms suck but all one does in the room is sleep it off anyway! I made so many friends that I'm going back next month and looking for a hot CD that I spotted...but it was in the wee small hours.....she was HOT!

Trust me....this place is the best place for transgenders, gays, and straight people.

My room was only $75...out the door.....and with the awesome night life it was so worth it!

I am........Rhonda Sheer

7  Thank Rhonda S
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Price reasonable, mini-ants infested my laptop, although bugs are a problem in this area always. Very rundown. Hundreds of wads of chewing gum on the sidewalks. Mostly older clientele, looking very bored. They do have a following, I guess people who like to drink mostly. I didn't try the food. Staff were pleasant. You have to pay for the Internet.

4  Thank metrolands
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I tried the Parliament House again afer a year's absence. The man at the front desk was polite and helpful. I asked for a smoke free room on the second floor facing the courtyard and received what I asked for. The room was clean, recently painted and smelled good and smoke fee. I was impressed with the improvements. The only bad issue is that rooms do not have the capability to control heat or ac. The price was also good. Thr restaurant is ok and the club and bars are great. Ashton, one of the bartenders, was awsome. He was friendly and helpful not to mention he was hot. Thanks and keep improving the facility as it can become a premier Gay Resort with a little more care.

6  Thank John M
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The best club n orlando... Tuesday nights are off the chain

3  Thank kingBarbie