“Pretty on the outside...”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #283 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Pretty on the outside...”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

"Newly renovated" was the description. They mean the outside. The facade, the parking lot, the pool and surrounding areas, the landscape, the lobby: All looked like it had been given a lot of attention.

My room was a different story. The vintage TV was small. The picture bad on most channels; partly the TV, partly the source. Carpeting, wall covering -- the room in general -- was tired, stale. Towels were ones that at home are relegated to car-/floor-/racquetball-use. Seriously: They were frayed on 4 edges! I read that it had renovated the room in 2007. I didn't see it in my room.

I was on business. My wife wasn't with me. I lower my standards on those trips. I paid $34/night, HOTWIRE. $27 would've been more representative, I guess. I had a king. It certainly wasn't a $60-value....

Orange Blossom Trail traffic is thick on business days' rush hours.

Security: I was fine. I wouldn't let my wife stay here alone. Some of the rooms seem isolated. ALL ROOM ENTRANCES ARE EXTERIOR; no interior halls; multiple unsecured points of entry.

NO ELEVATOR to 2nd floor.

Over the weekend there were HS teams staying there. During the week, road/construction crews seemed to be significantly represented. In short: When you want to get to the free breakfast, it's jammed.

I'll try somewhere else next time... (Feb 2012)

Room Tip: Request newly updated room? Do hotels/motels treat prepaid (Hotwire, PriceLine, etc) customers diff...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Korean first
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed October 27, 2011

It was very near the hotel and when we got there our rooms were ready for us (but it was after check-in time). Rooms were clean and comfortable, but getting there was a drag: no elevator, had to carry all our bags up the stairs... next: we unlocked the safe, put in our valuables and then it didn't open, when I called the front desk, no one available, had to wait until the next morning, thank God he arrived before we left. Next: no wi-fi in our room, when I called the front desk the clerk only replied they were working on it for the future, only had signal in the lobby. I had to leave my room, walk through a long rainy hallway, skip not one but two frogs, and get to the lobby to get a little wi-fi signal, as I told him, Orlando is a very international city and with the increasing use of smartphones all over the world the least you can offer guests is free wi-fi so they can connect to home for a little while. The next day we didn't enjoy the hotel's complimentary breakfast, but our last day we did and it was an awful experience! I can't completely blame them cause it was raining, and half their tables were outside, but it had been raining for 3 days and they hadn't prepared: we had to eat our breakfast in what's supposed to be their banquet room, which smelled of mold, dust and garbage and tables were dirty, horrible! Oh almost forgot: we had to unplug on fridge cause it made a lot of noise while we were sleeping.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank IvetteMartinez
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Good rate, construction, rooms not so clean, right near parks, ants on biscuits for breakfast but it was free, absolutely will not let u check in early and staff rudely let us know.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Teressa_24
Hallandale Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 10, 2011

When we first got to the hotel it looked great when we went to check in the lady at the front was not very helpful or friendly she seemed in a great rush to get rid of us and when I asked if she could accomidate us with other family members so that we can be near each other she said the hotel was completely booked and impossible to make such request so we let it be and went into our rooms... once in the room it was great !! nice king size bed nice bathroom ... then me and my husband decided to jumb in the pool and it was freezzzzing so I called the front desk to ask if the pool was heated and she said no so we went back to the room and I looked up online and it stated that the pool was heated and in the guest book each room has it says pool is open and heated year round so I called the front desk and asked again the lady gave me a huge attitude and told me she will call me back and hung up with a huge attitude mind you then she does call back and says she called the general manager and he said its not heated ....duh i already know that I wanted to know why not but I recieved no answer.... so we just watched TV that kept coming in and out because it was raining and they have satelite..... finally my family arrived around ten and I went to the front desk to greet them and we wher so excited and talking loud and the lady had the nerve to shhhh us ..... I was in utter shock and my cousin was so upset and told the lady how dare her shhh us that we wher on vacation and she said too keep it down that she could'nt think ...SO FREAKIN RUDE!!!!!! and then I noticed they kept lying to ppl who wher calling and saying that they only had one room left everytime someone would call .... UNBELIVABLE.... I will NEVER stay here again just because of that lady !!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Musichic19
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Me my husband and two children stayed here for 2 weeks in sept 2011
beds were very comfortable room cleaned every day fresh towels every day
canny ask for any more rooms have air condition and are very spacious,
breakfast was really ok no complaints for the price we payed. hotel staff very nice
free internet in rooms plug in of course. location good florida mall 5 minutes away
near all attractions you have to have a car to get about only 20 minutes to universal
parks over all really good for familys on a budget holiday.
dont be put of with some of the reveiws as its really not a bad place to stay at all.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cazzaA167
lincs
Reviewed September 27, 2011

we stayed here for 14 days at begining of sept. to visit our daughter at universal. I was worried it was going to be horried, but it was great. Dee on the front desk did her best to get us a pool view room which was nice of her. The room was pleasant and cleaned everyday. Breakfast was good, just enough to start you off for the day. The pool and waterfalls made it a little oasis to come back to after a hard day at the parks or shopping. We caught a bus outside the hotel to the parks and I drive. There are some good discount shops and fast food places nearby. Easy to walk to the mall, if it is not to hot. The train did wake us up about twice during the 14 days, but we just went back to sleep. We would happily go back there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
South Florida
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Great location if you are going to an event at the orange county convention center. At $39.99 for two including breakfast, it is one of the best values I have experienced in Orlando. No, there is no health club, massages, or steam rooms. But there are clean rooms, comfortable beds, and great personality at check in. You could spend $25 for parking alone at the Peabody, which is a great hotel with all of the bells and whistles. They also have a free shuttle to the airport. If you are on a budget business trip (or just want to spend your per diem on great food vs. a four star hotel), a young traveling couple, or a family on a tight budget, then this place is perfect.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business