“Very very poor ”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
“Very very poor ”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Gave this curry house a try. Very very poor. Food poor, One girl serving who was friendly. Paid $87. Worth $20 max If I wasn't with my family I would have urged the price. Tip is in the price Avoid at all cost. If you do go. You will be writing a poor review after.

2 Thank Debbie F

“Food ok but terrible service”
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Fancied a change from the usual fare so gave this place a try.

The food was ok but it is very very expensive

And as for the service.....what service

The night we visited there was just one......yes just one person covering the entire front of house, seating people, taking orders bringing out food, preparing drinks, everything......plus they had the cheek to automatically add a service charge to the bill when we eventually manage to get it

4 Thank Tony B
Fort Myers, Florida
“Good Food, Unusual Service”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I arrived shortly after opening, chosen based on the "Zagat's Recommended" sign in the window. I waited over 5 minutes to be seated in an empty restaurant, and even left and returned hoping the door chime would prompt someone to greet me.

The server, Chris, was exceptionally friendly and overly attentive; honestly, a bit creepy in his expressions of enthusiasm for the food. Based on his recommendation, I had the Butter Chicken entree adapted for lamb, which he swore would fall apart with a fork. It had great flavor, but wasn't as tender as he led me to believe. The rice was extremely salty, clearly not made in-house. The garlic naan was excellent, and the mango lassi good, but mild in flavor.

Chris was very eager to upsell me, lamb for chicken, add the naan, etc., but I am very easily persuaded in an ethnic restaurant to try a variety of dishes, so I can't hold him entirely responsible. I was surprised that dinner for one, without alcohol, came to nearly $40. The business practices seemed shady to me, with the upselling, the rice that was clearly not authentic, and the service gratuity added to the bill, which the server clearly did not want me to peruse closely as he hovered over me. Because of this, although I enjoyed my meal, I probably won't visit again when I'm in the area, but look for another restaurant with similar cuisine.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank TravelShae
Wollongong, Australia
“Shocking!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

A group of 6of us decided to visit the Shalimar after being British and living in the states it was exciting to get a rare treat, wrong! The woman that served us was all smiles but there was definitely nothing between her ears! Rather than writing the drink order of just 6 people she repeated it 5 times. Four of the party had popadoms which were covered in grease and the raita looked like curdled milk. The main course arrived and even though we all had something different all the curries looked the same. My husband had a hot vindaloo that was milder than my korma! The rice was dry and obviously reheated, it did come with a side salad of two slices of cucumber and 3slices of onion, mmm tasty. The naan bread never came nor did the fries. When I fronted the woman and told her it was a disgrace she just bowed her head and said thank you ma'am, now it's not like she couldn't understand me she spoke perfect English! The bill was a rip off $161 and a waste of time, this place needs to be shut down they have no clue! I was so angry when we left and to top it off we all had bad stomachs the next day, just what you need when on a day out at Disney. Shut this bloody awful place down!

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank Karina d
Florida
“Delicious. Authentic. Pricey. Odd.”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We were in Orlando for the day, had a high value Entertainment Book electronic coupon, and dropped by for dinner quite early.

The food was delicious and authentic. They had a great selection, and it was very good food. We had several dishes (one lamb, one chicken), each of which were very good, prepared and spiced perfectly. Ample portions... we, and the other diners who were there while we were, took food home with us.

Waiter was a bit too present and too chummy, but there were only two diners there (an Indian and a Pakistani, who we overheard speaking favorably of their meals vis-à-vis the food of their respective childhoods) so it was admittedly a very slow evening and he had plenty of time on his hands. The service was fast and attentive, professional and prompt.

The food was pricey. Even with a buy one get one free coupon, it was pricier than most Orlando Indian restaurants we have gone to. Not exorbitant, but pricier than the others we have visited.

Ambiance wasn't anything to write home about... it's in a strip mall, and the building can use a bit of maintenance. But it was clean, well furnished, and overall inviting. Lots of restaurants in Orlando, especially in the touristy I-Drive area, are in strip malls just like this one. Plenty of parking.

We had a buy one get one free electronic coupon. Redeeming it meant sending my unlocked phone back to the kitchen with the waiter. Not really fond of strangers taking my unlocked phone out of my sight.

Overall it was a good meal. Not the best Indian food we have had, even in Orlando. Not the best value we've found, even with a high value coupon. But it was delicious food in a nice enough place.

• Visited April 2014