“Never go there”

Berdsk, Russia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never go there”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I am from Russia and I used to be a waiter in this restaurant in July 2008. Truly speaking, that was horrible!
About the owner: Perry Shaikh is not from India, he's from Pakistan.
About the food: sometimes it was NORMAL, but never better. As many noticed before the portions are small, the rice is microwaved (I was said to microwave it, too).
You have to wait for your food for a long time, even if you're the only visitor, because the cook has dull sight.
About the kitchen: VERY DIRTY. Ones, when we all cleaned the kitchen I found beetle larvae at the sink. I WAS ABOUT TO PUKE!!
In general: 1. the food is very expensive
2. air conditioner often broken
3. strong smell of food in the hall
4. service pay included in the price (I HARDLY EVER GET TIPS DURING THE DAY!!!)
In conclusion: while working there I did my best to be polite with the customers and tried to serve well and in time. But Perry Shaikh makes his own business and never listens to anyone.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Berdsker

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst restaurant experience ever!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Came here with family because was looking for something halal. I love the Shalimar in Edison so i thought i would be like that. But totally opposite from the one in Edison. Over price and very little food. Ordered two curry dishes and 4 nuns and a appetizer. bill came out to $77. I don't like arguing so just payed and left. The place was dirty and service wasn't that great. Better off trying some place else. They give Shalimar a bad name.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Saifur Rahman C
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Burn baby burn!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Food was mediocre... ordered a lamb madras which wasn't earth shattering but was edible! Biggest shock was provided by the poppadoms... the waiter asked would we like them mild or spicy (we assumed he was referring to the curry?!? Never had this option for a poppadom before) we chose spicy... withing seconds we were both sweating profusely and my mouth was on fire! Thank the lord for the sweet cooling nectar of beer :-) I like hot, spicy dishes but this is another level!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Cleopatrick
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
“worse service, below average food”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Almost ruined our vacation...the most pathetic memory of our trip.
Ordered on the phone for "to go" and was asked to come after 25 mins. Reached there on time. Surprised to see no waiter or any other except the receptionist. And we kept waiting for another 30 mins (with 2 kids giving my husband hard time in the car, in the parking lot, while I went to pick up).
Aweful Biryani, so so chicken handi and rubbery naan..
Strongly recommend to shut down this restaurant..
Shame on you Shalimar, you will just be a bad fame for the South Asian restaurants.
If I had an option to choose zero or even minus in the ratings, would have chosen that.

• Visited March 2013
Wilmore, Kentucky
“Dinner at Shalimar”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I very much enjoyed our dinner at the Shalimar Tandoor Restaurant this evening. We had Lamb Curry Shahi and the lamb was cooked to perfection. Both the waiter and the owner made a visit to our table and were very friendly and kind. The restaurant was not busy, but that was perfect for us as we wanted to enjoy a quiet dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and will enjoy getting back to Shalimar in the near future. Our best to them!

• Visited February 2013