“The good, the bad and the ugly”

Tusker House Restaurant
Ranked #129 of 3,808 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Travelers! Take a break from your safari and enjoy a taste of adventure at Tusker House Restaurant, a colorful and bustling Harambe Marketplace eatery.
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“The good, the bad and the ugly”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

1st the good- There were more Disney characters willing to stop for pictures than at any establishment we visited during our vacation. The staff members were pleasant and polite.
Now the bad- We had a lengthy wait to get a table at lunch, even with a reservation. I don't know if this is because they get pictures of each family, and then come by your table to sell them during your meal (which is fine, it just made for a longer than necessary wait).
The ugly- The food was barely edible, and we are not picky eaters. The selection for children consisted of those frozen peanut butter sandwiches, frozen corn dog bites, and this disgusting, orange powdered macaroni and cheese. Adult selections weren't much better, with sirloin steak too tough to saw with the available knife and the worst chicken curry I have ever tasted.
Maybe the breakfast is better...I would not recommend the lunch buffet, however.

2 Thank NCMama65

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
St. Augustine, Florida
“moldy wet mop scent in the building”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

that was the only major negative for me , otherwise our server was great , the characters did a great job and the food was plentiful and delicious. I really hope the management will read this so they can address this issue immediately as it really took away from my experience . it was an overwhelming mildew smell in the air . i asked my friends if they smelled the same thing and everyone agreed . Considering the food was outstanding , this problem needs to be taken care off asap.

2 Thank Sashaa K
NJ
“Surprisingly good food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My daughter arranged a lunch for 9 of us at this restaurant so that the 3 grandchildren (ages 5-7) could visit with the Disney characters. While the children had pictures and fun with Donald, Daisy, and Goofy (which lived up to everything you would expect from Disney), the food was a big surprise. Lunch is a buffet and the variety was extensive for a lunch, with lots of options for those picky little ones as well. The food followed the African/Animal Kingdom theme and included a wonderful chicken curry, a moist roast pork, fresh cutney and salads, etc. without a lot of the usual filler type of food found at most buffets. The food was absolutely delicious! I even tried the mac & cheese for the little ones and was surprised how good it was. We also had a great server who provided a lot of information and attention. We definitely plan on bringing our other grandchildren here for a character lunch the next visit to the Animal Kingdom.

1 Thank CDCNJ
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“love the breakfast”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Donald's Safari Breakfast is one of our favorite stops in Disneyworld. The dining area is very loud and active, so if you don't like that, skip this meal. The food is always hot and fresh. The cheese blintzes are amazing and my daughter loves the croissants. There is traditional American food for the less adventurous and there are opportunities for sampling African inspired dishes as well. The characters are dressed in Safari garb and come around to all of the tables for pictures and autographs, although you only see Donald outside of the dining area before you are seated, for the photo package. He does not sign autographs there. It is very busy, so make your reservations early.

Visited December 2012
N/A
“Lunch”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was my first character lunch. Donald, Daisy, Mickey, and Goofy were all I saw on this day. I was really hoping to see Tigger but no luck. I really only selected Tusker house due to the limited table services places and I knew I was not interested in a QS establishment. I was impressed by the number of veggie and non-meat based options. Everything was very mild in flavor- in a good way. On the day I had lunch there was both a pork loin and some kind of beef. Carved to order. I believe there was few seafood items (which I did not try). I was very full when it came to the end of the meal and did not sample any of the sweet offerings. Nothing looked too tasty. I wish there was a person watching over each food station. I saw several children (and adults) pick up items with their hands and then lay the items back down for someone else to pick up unknowingly. Kids have the option to serve themselves and I just dont consider that sanitary. I did see a cast member speak to one child though that dropped something on the floor and then put it back on the serving tray. I did appreciate that the CM spoke to the child. My waitress was very nice and attentive but I felt she was a little overwhelmed by tables. I would eat here again.

For amusement park food it was very good.