“School bread is overrated, but other options are great...”

Kringla Bakeri og Kafe
Ranked #6 of 75 Bakeries in Orlando
Cuisines: Norwegian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Open for lunch and dinner daily, this quick-service dining venue serves up fast food with Norwegian influences—like pastries and smoked salmon sandwiches—as well as beer and other refreshing beverages.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I had been told that I must try the school bread here as it's a "legendary" food in the park. I honestly didn't think it was all that great though. There's another pastry that we got the last time and wish we had gotten again instead of the school bread - I forget the name of it, but it's got the custard in it is similar to what's in the school bread, but it had a meringue topping and was on a sort of sponge cake, from what I can best recall. Service is friendly and quick, but the place is very small so often time the line goes out the door - don't let that discourage you as the line really isn't that long, it's just that there's no place for people to stand in line inside!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

It's kind of a family tradition for us. We go on Maelstrom in Epcot and then grab something from here on the way out. They have great pastries and sandwiches, but the line is kind of confusing. There is always a commotion.

When you walk in, you can see everything, cafeteria style. It's not clear what you should do. After many visits, we figured out that you need to catch the eye of someone behind the counter, ask for what you want, grab it, and move along. Sandwiches are first because they take longer to make, but will be waiting for you when you reach the register (where you will choose your drinks). Other things along the way can be handed to you quickly.

The people are always friendly and the food is wonderful.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had gone there a few years ago and my husband was so looking forward to returning. In the past, the pastry WAS terrific with a big line out the door. We were surprised that the line was so short, but then we realized why. The pastry was terrible. We were so disappointed since they obviously changed recipes or distributors. The almond pretzels were nothing but dried out bread dough with tiny bit of frosting and almonds. We ordered 5 pastries and 4 out of 5 did not get finished. Major disappointment and would not recommend. Not pastry-and it is very easy to make good pastry.

1  Thank Ihave2manychildren
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This quick serve restaurant was on my try list because of the sandwiches and the famed school bread. Loving the flower show food booths I didn’t think I’d get here this visit, but a downpour with thunder sent me running for cover at lunch time.

I ordered a Norwegian club (turkey, bacon, ham and some type of cheese) and a school bread. They offered to toast the sandwich and I mistakenly said yes. It took 10 minutes of me standing around waiting while holding the school bread for my sandwich to come out (having already paid or I just would have left). The server ignored my attempt to catch her eye to ask where my food was, focused on dealing with a large children’s group (I suspect my sandwich was forgotten while they tended to the kids). Finally the cashier saw me still hovering around and said something in Norwegian to the server who suddenly began fiddling with the oven.

While I waited, all the covered tables were being taken by the children’s group who bought cold items and hurried out where their chaperone allowed them to hog up multiple tables in a visibly crowded store instead of corralling them in one area. I was not pleased that I had arrived first and might not get a dry seat thanks to my wait, but was relieved once I finally got my food to see there was a table out of the rain free.

The sandwich was large, ok tasting, but nothing I’d go back for. It probably was better warm than cold, but the product was certainly not worth the wait. In the event that rain drove me back here, which is the only reason I’d return, I would opt for the ham and apple sandwich that could easily be enjoyed cold.

I have to say, as I have been forced to in several of the other reviews I wrote for this trip, I do not get the devotion to the item that brought me here. People swoon over the school bread and my first taste did not impress. It had roll-like texture and was sort of dry. The custard was only a swirl on top with a little descending into the middle and the icing was a very thin layer that had what little moisture it might have provided sapped by toasted coconut shreds. Where the custard filling was it wasn’t bad, but overall it was a rather bland dessert. I wish I had tried the giant creampuff with fresh berries on it instead, it looked wonderful and its plentiful filling was visible.

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We made 2 stops at this bakery while in the Norway section of Epcot. Yummy fresh bakery.

My son said the chocolate chip cookie was the best he ever had!

1  Thank ohiomrspj