“Beautiful Atmosphere, service leaves something to be desired...”

Grand Floridian Cafe
Ranked #99 of 3,853 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Grand Floridian Cafe offers a moderately priced breakfast, lunch and dinner of American favorites. This casual, light-filled restaurant has a charming Victorian setting and overlooks the lovely gardens and pool at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.Start your day with a plate of Mickey Waffles or a hearty Three-Egg Omelet. For lunch, choose from an assortment of salads, soups, sandwiches and daily specials. Dinner selections include fresh seafood, chicken and delectable steaks.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I dined here last week with my mother and daughter (3). I will review this restaurant in accordance with the rating criteria.

Service- This was the major downfall of my experience at GFC. To begin, upon arriving at the hostess station there were 3-4 staff members just talking amongst themselves, not a problem, but when I stated I had a reservation the staff looked burdened, which is odd for Disney. When we went to go to our table, they seemed burden once more when my family had to pass by. The staff insisted on seating all guests with elbows reach of each other, despite the high vacancy in the dining room. This was also odd. I understand some tables are reserved under reservations according to party size, but there were maybe 5 out of 50 tables occupied. My other not so pleasant experience was with our server. She was nice as far as servers go, but seemed a little irritated at my daughter's presence. While this is a nicer sit down lunch location, it is still Disney, and kids are their cash cow so to speak. My daughter dropped her toy directly beside the server's foot, and rather than her offer to try to help me out by grabbing it, she stared at it, as I had to wiggle my way out of the cramped seating, twist around and move chairs so I could get it. I am not stating that it is anyone's job to pick up after my daughter, but even I would have done that for someone just to be polite! Upon leaving, the same gaggle of hostesses were once again burdened when we had to get by. Give me a break, it's two steps to the side!!!

Food-I will say, the food I had here was great. They offer a nice selection for kids too, and were able to make my daughter some pasta without meat. (My little one is pretty much a voluntary vegetarian for no other reason other than the fact that she is picky.)
My mother and I are Ruben sandwich fans, and the one here is one of the best I have ever had. It is served hot and fresh, and has just enough of all of the tasty toppings! The homemade chips on the side are perfectly cooked and will leave you wanting more!

Value- The food and atmosphere are the real value. I mentioned how poor the service was, but perhaps it will be different for you?

Atmosphere-
This is the category that gets an excellent review! This dining room is gorgeous! Ask and ask again for a window seat. There are various views and this would be a great spot for a mother daughter brunch or a couple's lunch! The theme is focused around the resort, in all of it's beautiful elegance.

Final thoughts-
For the price point, I would rather go back to Kona Cafe (my review is posted on Tripadvisor). This is a nice place for the price, but the service I received was a turn off to say the least.
This location is hard to find. If you are in the lobby on the ground floor, follow the walkway on the left. You will pass 1900 Park Fare and a the elevators. Keep following it left and you will pass a gift shop and the restrooms. You will find it tucked in the back corner.

Dining Plan is accepted.
Reservations accepted.

2  Thank Kylee L
There are newer reviews for Grand Floridian Cafe

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Robert was our waiter and could not have been more fun or personable. My adult daughter and I had breakfast there over Mother's Day week end and had a great time. He truly was not only extremely professional but shared stories etc. The food was excellent but the service even topped that. Sooo hope to see him the next visit. We are going to stay at the Disney resorts twice this year.

1  Thank Christine P
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We love this restaurant. It's a favorite to visit for dinner after a long, hot, busy day in the Magic Kingdom. We've always been able to snag reasonable reservation times earlier the same day (and while we've never done so, it appears walk ups are not an issue at all) and it's always a relaxed, nicely paced meal with attentive and helpful servers. The food is always delicious, my favorite meal to order is a burger and fries along with a frozen daquiri and a chocolate Mickey to finish it off, if I've saved room! We will be back once again and again and again after that!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This restaurant is a gem if you want to take the family to a classy meal and stay within budget. Food is Fabulous, as at all Disney fine dining establishments, but without a higher price.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

You must have the grapefruit pancakes.

Did I mention the pancakes? This is a lovely spot for brunch or breakfast that transports you back in time and serves up delicious coffee.