“Great resort but so-so customer service ..” 4 of 5 stars

Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort
Ranked #88 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Louis, MO
“Great resort but so-so customer service ..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our family of 3 just returned from a 7-nt/8-day stay at WBC (10/20-10/27), and here's our assessment:

1. Check-in: I did everything by the book ... mentioned we wanted a high floor, lake or fireworks view and no poolview at booking, 2 weeks out and upon arrival. We checked in at 2:00 on Sat., 10/20. At 3:30, we received a call letting us know that our room on the 1st floor, poolview room was ready. I begged for a high floor and was told that if we were willing to wait, we should be able to get a high floor. They'll call when it's ready. We waited and waited and finally decided to leave and grab dinner. By 7:00, I decided to call and was told that our room, in fact, is ready. (Nobody bothered to call and let us know.) We drove back around 7:30 and was told that, after a 5-hr wait, we got a 1st-floor, poolview room. (No joke) As you can imagine, we were seriously irate at this point. After some heated discussions, we were finally given a 5th floor room with parking lot view. We requested to speak with the manager. Dan, the mgr, came out after 30 minutes only to tell us it's 1st come, 1st serve policy on room selection. This clearly isn't true because the family who was behind us got a high-floor room. And, no, they were not timeshare owners. I know this because I actually asked them. It was their 1st stay as well. This doesn't include the fact that there was a HUGE line at checkin, a line at the parking pass/timeshare desk, a line each time we went to check on our room status and when we finally were given a room. The whole process was inefficient and NOT customer-focused. IMO, the first rep lied when he told us that if we waited, we would get a high floor. 5th floor, IMO, doesn't exactly constitute a high floor. Per recommendations of prior guests, we did check lowest income & no home ownership to make sure that the timeshare salespeople won't bug us about timeshares, which they didn't. I'm wondering if that's why they didn't give us our requested room locale??

Once the whole check-in fiasco was over, everything else fell nicely into place ...

2. Room: We rented a 2-BR Deluxe (Tower 4, #568). While the location and view were pretty lame, the room itself was wonderful. While it was NOT renovated, it didn't have the appearance of being old/rundown. It was roomy, tastefully-decorated, comfortable and clean. There were no holes in the couches nor chipped bath tiles. The kitchen and baths were very well-equipped, and everything functioned exactly as described. Plus, it was fairly well insulated from outside noise. Note - The a/c when it kicks on is SERIOUSLY loud. It's a big "boom!" each time. We eventually got used to it. If you close your door, it really isn't too bad. We did have to override the a/c daily as it's controlled by motion sensors.

3. Restaurants: Aside from a couple of poolbars, there wasn't any other dining choices unless you went over to the hotel. Tesoro Cove was closed, so we dined at Deep Blue. Good food, excellent service but EXTREMELY pricey. We had reservations at 5 character meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) + dined at 4 upscaled theme park restaurants, and the only meal that was slightly more expensive was at Cinderella's Castle if that tells you anything. Unless you like bar food or paying dearly for your meal, I strongly suggest going offsite, cook in or splurge at the parks - they are still cheaper.

4. Pools & hot tubs: They were all nicely heated and clean. Never had problem finding an open lounger. Note - the pirate slide at Tower 5/6 has a 48" ht requirement, which really disappointed our 5-yo son who can swim 2 olympic laps without stopping. Otherwise, we thoroughly enjoyed the swims. Be sure to get your towels from Main Bldg or Bldg 6 before you head to the pools; otherwise, you will find yourself walking a LOT to get from 1 place to another.

5. Fitness center: I worked out at the main bldg fitness center once. Never again. It's the size of a closet with a few cardio machines, a nautilus machine and 1 set of multi-weight free weights. Plus, it was very poorly ventilated (even at 6 am). I ended up going to the wonderful hotel fitness center for the remainder of our stay. 2 thumbs up!!

6. Driving around: I was most worried about this b/c the parks just seemed so intimidating. It was a piece of cake. Wouldn't have it any other way. Easy, quick & flexible. Never used the buses once.

7. Misc: We did order our groceries from Garden Grocer. Highly recommend!! They did a great job of selection (no bruised bananas, rotting fruit, dinted cans, etc.). They were prompt and delivered our goodies to the WBC cold storage. Getting the bellmen to bring them to our room was another story. Took 3 tries and finally got it right. No biggy. Also,we hated the dangling parking pass on our rearview mirror, so we took it down on Day 1. They NEVER stopped us, so you can just by-pass the whole car pass/timeshare desk if you want.

Final summary: Would we stay there again? Yes. Despite the whole initial check-in fiasco, we did enjoy our stay at WBC. It is a lovely resort with clean, roomy and well-equipped suites. The location and price can't be beat. Took us approx 5-10 minutes to get to/from each park. Great for those with little ones who need a mid-day nap.

Feel free to send me a msg if you have any questions/concerns.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank MOGlobetrotter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,022)
  • Polish first
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I can first say this is by far the best vacation/ relaxation trip we have taken in years, as my husband just got out of the military and this was a celebration vacation, an just a peaceful 4 days without having to worry about work stress as well. One of my favorite moments was our last evening and we decided to go to the DeepBlue Restaurant. Renee was our server and she did a phenomenal amazing job. Our experience was one of the best fine dining experiences I have had in a long time. I have worked in the fine dining industry as well as my family owns a fine dining restaurant and Renee from start to finish did an extraordinary job. If you get the opportunity to dine or spend the week/weekend definitely this would be the place to spend eating, entertaining, and relaxation all in one,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jackie W
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at this property through an RCI exchange in July 2012. Have already reserved this resort again for March 2013, if that tells you anything. On Check in we were checked in quickly and waited only about 35-40 minutes until our room was ready for us. The 'dreaded' parking pass desk went fairly quickly as I did not have anyone traveling with me other than my son. We did receive one call, but unplugged phone after that.

Pros: We called early and requested to reserve a Cabana for one day. We were able to do this without any issue and when I went to pick up our reservation and check out towels for our Cabana it was all ready and had a welcome sign for us! It was worth it! Had a small refrigerator a locking cabinet, the Sunday newspaper, a television and a ceiling fan all for $50 for the entire day.

Our room was a two bedroom deluxe in Tower 3 on the 7th floor. We were on the end of the tower and were able to view the lake and the fireworks from Epcot and Wishes when we were there at the resort.

The room was nicely furnished, did not have any issues with furnishings being old, as I had read in other reviews. The room was quiet and I did not ever hear any "neighbors". The kitchen was fully stocked, even with coffee filters for the entire week! In all my stays anywhere I have always had to bring my own coffee filters.

The property is so close to all of the Disney Parks it was as if we were staying on property. The Publix and Walgreens were also not far away. We LOVED staying here and are looking forward to our next trip there.

Cons: I really couldn't find any other than when picking up the phone in our Cabana and ordering from the menu from the closest pool bar, discovered they did not deliver to your Cabana, they would have gotten a nice tip if they would have. To me that was small stuff..
TOTALLY enjoyed this resort and will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We have visited this resort many times. It has wonderful amenities and a great location for Disney parks. I have yet to have a completely issueless stay, has improved since we no longerbgo to updates but usually have issues at check in and with rooms taking hours past check in times to be ready. I have always said it is a great place to stay as long as you never need anything from any staff. This lack of action on the part of their staff has never been more true than this trip. This morning while on a walk with my daughter around the grounds we walked up on the fort, an area over looking the lazy river where you can shoot water canons at guest below, and discovered that someone had "pooped" up there on the floor. I reported this to the nearest employee only to be told they already were aware of it for a couple hours, a nd that it was housekeepings job the clean it. I then stopped at the desk in our tower(6) to report what I was told and give my opion that it should be a top priority to clean this. I was assured he would make a call. On our way out to the theme park I stopped to ask if the issue was taken care of and he said he had called a manager and it was in their hands. Almost 12 hours later, upon returning for the evening my children went for a walk and discovered the poo was still there. Seriously, it is time to improve some things here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Winterlynx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights & 4 days. First off when staying at this resort you have to know it's not like your typical hotel where you get maid service daily. Its more like an apartment or condo. We stayed in a one bedroom and it was very nice with a full kitchen. We stayed in tower 5, on the 7th floor and we have no complaints about our room. We did request new towels after the second night and we received them with no problem. The food at the resort resturants was good and we thought the pricing was pretty average to what any hotel/resort would charge. There were a good amount of kids but you have to expect that especially since the resort is inside disney although it is not part of disney. We used the shuttles 3 days and had absolutely no problems using them. We also were never bothered by timeshare sales. We went for a girls weekend and there were four of us and we all said we would definitely return and stay at this resort in the future! I was nervous with some of the bad reviews I had read but after our stay I don't see what most of them are talking about. It's a great place to stay especially for the price.

• Stayed October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at this property with some friends while celebrating her birthday.i will first start with the positive the property is well maintained and clean as was the suite, beds comfortable and ample space.The staff is friendly all around with one exception I believe her name was Amanda my friends and I approached the desk asking Amanda if she could tell us what restaurants were in the area she barely looked up and said hello, it was as if we were intruding.she then told us that she didn't have the list anymore and when I asked her what else was around besides Chevys, Golden corral etc she gave some other names we then decided on a restaurant and asked her to call a cab she said here is the phone you can call yourself which by the way we did not have a number.Ii hung the phone up and my friend said I want you to call, this is such poor customer service I know this because I am a concierge at an upscale property in Boston and had never treated a guest so rudely.she said she called one and it would be on the way.The driver showed up in a suburban which was not the typical cab we had been taking and had no meter because she called a livery service which ended up costing $27 dollars for a cab ride that was max $15 that is what we paid coming home from a reputable cab with a meter.when a guest asks for a cab you should send one and I knew that she had called or had someone call because they get some kind of kick back from the driver.we are not from the area and relied on her for assistance.I think that if you don't enjoy your job you probably shouldn't be doing it.i don't want to take points away from the property because we had an overall great experience .This review should be passed along to the appropriate person and hopefully in the future another guest will not encounter the same deplorable service that we did from Amanda.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kouklitsa7
Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Mid-stay review of this resort, with some things I like and some I don't.
First, the check-in process. Stood in1 line, then was directed to another line for the parking pass and to "finish check-in". I assume this is the selling process, but I can't say that I have experienced that yet. I did find this to be a waste of time, and never understood the reasoning for having to go to another line for a parking pass.
The room: love the room. I had a 2 bedroom unit with a full kitchen and living room. Nicely furnished and equipped.
The view: Terrible. Overlooked dumpsters and a parking garage. With all of the nice views that overlook the water and pools,how do I end up with this? Tried changing rooms on several occasions, and had no luck. Seems trivial but hey, I like to sit on my balcony and enjoy the weather.
Customer Service: Terrible. The front desk staff was pleasant, but not helpful at all. I tried calling on several occasions and never got thru. A walk to the front desk found them not busy and very available, but chatting with one another. They were not willing to do much of anything other than smile and act interested.
Price: Very reasonable and a good value for the room you get.
Activities: there was a lot to do, including mini golf, ping pong, arcades, and restaurants with great food. The problem was that all of the activities required you to get something from a far location. For example, to play ping pong,we had to walk to the other side of the lake for paddles and buy balls. Mini golf was the same. Poor planning, or was it meant to accomplish something??

Maid staff cost extra.

Overall, this could have been a great place to stay had it not been for the horrible view and less than helpful staff. Have a few days left, so we'll see if anything changes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business