“What a vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Festus, Missouri
“What a vacation”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My son & daughter in law work for Disney and found this resort for us. It is very close to all the parks shopping etc. What a great time we had. VERY CLEAN ROOMS. We had a 2 bedroom condo that we shared with my sister & her husband & we couldn't have had a better place, very quite.....I will definately come bak......

Room Tip: have a room higher up much quieter & you can enjoy the fireworks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ronald S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,155)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Overall, a clean, safe hotel convenient to Disney and the highway for other Orlando attactions. Room card needed to access all parts of the property, and I was impressed that the the door was NOT held by other guests (no point in having a room card when that happens). Staff and other guests were friendly and courteous overall, especially the nighttime bellboy/valet staff. The pool was clean and accessible. Not going to reiterate what was said below - the "parking pass call" happened at 9 am, waking my husband after we'd gotten in from a late flight. Not appreciated. Additionally, one minor quirk - we stayed in Tower 4, and I woke up at night needing a soda/sugar drink. There was no minibar, so I put on a robe and walked to the vending machine. Sold out of Sprite. A sign informed me that there were vending machines on a few other floors. Went to those other floors - no vending machines. (Trust me - there was a sign that said "vending". No machine there. Walked up and down the floors.)

No reason not to recommend this hotel, especially for families with young children, but I suggest turning down the phone ringer and bringing your own beverages!

Room Tip: We requested a low floor, which worked out well for us, though we could hear the fireworks but not s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank RoverK
Boston
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We booked a 2 bedroom suite through VRBO for one week (10/13-10/20) early this year and got a really great price. I was truly getting a little nervous after reading all the negative reviews but I am so glad I didn't back out. The week before our trip I was reading the thread on the DIS Disney Boards dedicated to this resort, it had some great info and I took the advice of others and called ahead to "request" a tower. I spoke with Jillian who eased my mind with regards to the negative reviews and she put in my request for tower 6, she also put in for a high floor. We arrived early on Saturday 10/13/12 and found it very easy to find, nice and close to most of the attractions we were interested in.

We went to see if we could check in and found the two women at the desk super nice, I asked if they saw my request for tower 6/high floor and she said she did and would do her best to accommodate us. We were told there were no units ready and would call us within a few hours so we headed over to the "dreaded parking pass desk". We were introduced to an older lady named Rosa who was all smiles while she filled out some additional paperwork, getting as much info on us as possible, most of the questions were gearing her up for the sales pitch that we had read so much about. Rosa asked us if we were owners and when we said no, she said "that's weird since your reservation has a owners code", I said we rented from owners. Within five minutes we were approached saying our room was ready and it was in tower 6. We were pretty eager to get going but Rosa wasn't close to being done, she handed us a sheet to fill out and said she needed both our drivers licenses for check in, which to me seemed weird since the actual check-in person didn't request it, or any other form of ID.

Rosa asked us about park tickets and what we planned on doing, we said we had our tickets and had friends coming in so we were pretty tight with time hoping she would drop the endless questions. My husband had walked away, he was getting annoyed with her and when he went to sit down I told her we weren't interested in a time share, she continued jotting down info and saying she was going to give us a "rebate" on our previously purchased tickets as well as a few other perks. She told us that since we were staying in the presidential tower we would get a continental breakfast and also be invited to a special suite to view the fireworks etc. I said that was great but as far as the time share we were not interested, she went on to jot down a day/time and said she would just schedule us since it was such a great way to save some money, she then proceeded to call my husband by name across the lobby saying " I just wanted to make sure this date/time were ok with you because your wife wants to make sure it works for you", I definitely didn't say that and he said firmly we are not interested and would just like our parking pass, she was clearly annoyed and handed us a pass and proceeded to take the paper with the breakfast info/firework info etc away from our packet, clearly this was only available for those who booked a meeting with them. After we headed to the car I realized I was supposed to have received a separate key card for the parking garage so I approached Rosa and she was so rude, she said you're going to go stand in the original check in line and walked away from me.

We ended up getting floor one in tower 6 # 6104, I loved this location and truly was glad we didn't get a high floor since the fireworks weren't a big deal to us. The suite was beautiful, I didn't see any worn furniture/bugs/dirt etc and found the suite to be immaculate. Once we looked around we decided to head out to check out the grounds, the pool was really nice and there weren't many people around so we headed to the bar, the guy working was nice and we enjoyed a few drinks before heading out to the store. We should have checked out what was already in the suite before going to the store since we bought items we didn't actually need. There were mini soaps/shampoo/conditioner/mouth wash etc. They had toilet paper/paper towels/dish soap and a sponge/ packets of laundry soap/a few coffee packets/filters for the week so we didn't need to get most of the stuff we did. One thing we did get is a collapsible cooler, this came in handy for bringing adult beverages to the pool and saved us a lot of money.

We were pretty hungry by the time we returned from Publix so we went to Esquido's (sp) in by tower 5 for dinner, it was ok but really just fast/bar food that tasted good cause we were so hungry. We returned to the bar to find it shut down so we headed next door to the hotel pool, it was really nice over there and guests are allowed to go back/forth. We found a nice comfy set of chairs and sat by the firepit for a while before heading to bed.

Just when we thought we had heard the last of Rosa she called, trying once again to get us to book a meeting, she was really starting to get on my nerves at this point. I get the fact they have to offer but it was overkill, the phone calls and messages continued for the next five days. On day six we received a call from Linda who was calling to see how our stay was and asking if we needed anything, I said it was great and we were in need of some toilet paper and bath towels, she then went into the sales pitch, once I said I wasn't interested she said she would put the request in for our items but if we saw housekeeping we should just ask them....really?

Some observations...

Parking- it was a challenge especially at night but we always managed to find a spot.

Pools- the pools are nice but our pool attracted a ton of kids since the water slide was here.
The main pools is being redone so it was out of commission during our stay which wasn't a big deal to us. We used the lazy river once but there were a bunch of kids doing the loop without tubes, basically clogging up the flow and no one was ever around to discourage this, parents or staff. We rented a cabana on our last day and it was great! Mon-Thurs it was cheaper, the weekends are more. It was a great place to relax with refreshments, away from the crowds.

Hot-tubs were plentiful but always filled with small children, something I will never understand since they are pretty hot!

Grounds- the grounds are very well kept, we enjoyed walking the entire loop of the resort at night when it was cooler. Trash cans were routinely overflowing with stacks of trash piled next to it, this was gross and attracted the birds.

Bars/entertainment- they could really use some help in this area, the bars were hardly ever open until the posted time and the entertainment was pretty sad. Our tower seemed to constantly have kids pool games going on and when this happened the adults were pretty much forced out of the pool. One day a man came by to sing and play the guitar but he wasn't there long. I would have enjoyed having music during the day, the hotel pool area always had music playing through outdoor speakers and a much nicer pool area with the fire-pit and less children running around unattended.

Shuttle- we used the shuttle to go to Epcot, it left on time but was jammed full and we had to stand the entire time. Coming back we wanted to get the 6:15pm shuttle but as we approached the designated spot it pulled away at 6:14 and we ended getting a taxi since the next one wasn't for another hour.

Food- we ate at Esquido's twice and would rate it a 5 out of 10, service was good but food was just ok. We ordered pizza from tower 3 which was delivered hot and fast, it was very good! We also ate at the hotel pool bar restaurant, food and drinks were more expensive but the food was better in my opinion, they have the best Asian Wings. I love Mojitos and while the bar at tower 6 made them they didn't have any mint the whole time we were there, you had to go to the hotel bar to get one with mint (more expensive)....what's a mojito without fresh mint?

We really enjoyed this resort it's very close to everything we wanted to do. The staff was very friendly and willing to help. The only thing that would prevent us from returning was the annoying sales staff, it was way too overbearing and once you got them to take a no they treated you like crap! The sales staff needs to understand that not everyone wants to buy a timeshare and when a guest says they are not interested that should be the end of it. Calling us at all hours, after 10pm one night and leaving endless messages/hang ups is not welcoming. I cannot speak about the other towers, I can only speak about the one we stayed in and for us it was perfect!

Room Tip: Call ahead of time and put in a request for a specific tower, while high floors might be great for f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Irish68Boston
Georgia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed in the Presidential tower, which Is exactly like Harry Potter's school. Extemely dark and huge. Noy cozy or romanic st all. At breakfast my boyfriend would pound the table and say something like "this meeting of the masons will now come to order." Check in was such a nightmare with the timeshare hard sell. The sales peron grilled me with about eight personal questions, and when I told her no to the demand for a follow up meeting she asked why I was being so nasty to her. Please know that I didn't raise my voice or use bad language, I was just impatient and gave short answers. Because I am on vacation and would really just like to be free to go to the boardroom-- oh wait I am on vacation and wish I wasn't staying in a room that looks like a dark office.
Overall, I guess it's a good deal if you like the time share experience, but I am really a hotel person. I would not recommend for couples.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Honestly, I know I'm going to be nit picking on this resort but as a VIP owner with this company, I epected more from their customer service. I'll start with the good. This resort is beautiful, above and beyond any of the Wyndham resorts we've visited, which are numerous. This was our 5th trip to this resort but our first since the addition of tower 6 and the Wyndham Grand hotel. With these additions came 3 new restaurants, 3 new pools, a spa, and a bigger gym (which we always complain about in owners meetings because Wyndham gyms are tiny!). We rented out for our family reunion a 4-bedroom Presidential Reserve suite and while pretty and spacious, lacked in the services arena. Our dishwasher was on the fritz and it took maintenance 90 minutes to get up to us. The laundry room door handle was missing, never got replaced and one of our bathroom walls and baseboards were really dirty upon arrival. I was also told in past presentations that flat screen computers would be in all presidential units. Ours did not. We were adamantly told that a late checkout was impossible. We only wanted an hour or two! What hotel won't allow late checkout when asked for in advance? We wanted a room cleaning and were told that we were staying one day too few to receive that service; 6 nights instead of 7. Seriously, I felt like they looked for ways to say no to us. So, all in all, property is beautiful but service stinks!

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floors so you can view the Epcot fireworks!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank sassafras212
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have had the privilege of staying at this resort two times, most recently in September 2012. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the 6th floor. I am not sure why anyone visiting Disney on their trip would even hesitate about staying here. You are getting one of the closest properties to Disney without being on Disney property. In fact, until this side street was built I always thought that was Disney property. It is as convenient as many of the Disney resorts to the attractions in the area AND you have space. The 2 bedroom units are huge. I honestly couldn't get over how big our patio area was (more spacious than some of my kids bedrooms). The tub in the master bath is so large that all 3 of my children fit in it together without touching. They thought they had their own private pool.

The tower we stayed at was recently renovated. I could see if you were being picky some details were missing here. Some of the lamps had already chipped, the dishwasher top rack was not moving properly, and the inside of the refrigerator door had a dent. That being said, the furnishings are tasteful and we had enough of eveything to make our stay enjoyable. It was a nice touch that they gave you extra coffee, some popcorn, shampoo, bath wash etc. More than most resorts offer.

We didn't leave the property during our visit and we cooked in our room, so i can not speak to any of the food offerings. There is a small restaurant on property and a little shop.

From a child's perspective there is a plentitude of activities. Each of the pools has it's own benefits and we didn't even get to visit them all. My son (8) loved the pirate ship and slide, my other boys enjoyed the smaller slide at the other pool. The whole family loved the lazy river pool. There is a really nice splash zone for toddlers in two of the areas.

There is a great little playground that all of my kids enjoyed. They have activities going on non-stop. We were there just two days and my kids really loved the ginormous bubbles, the bounce house, face painting, and scavenger hunt. There are some scheduled activities for teens like dancing. They also offer outdoor movies. My kids loved the arcade althought it can get pricey. There was something going on all day.

We knew from our previous visit that if you request at the front desk there are certain rooms that have views of the Disney fireworks in the distance. We were blessed to get a view of this again. It was spectacular to see the Epcot Globe in the distance and the fireworks each night.
Turn on some music in your room and enjoy. It's really a good view.

I highly recommend this for families traveling with small children. Mine are 3,5, and 8.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Disney fireworks. If you can see the EPCOT ball in the distance...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SueTravelsWithKids
Connecticut
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Resort was great. So many pools to choose from. Rooms were large and clean. Check in is a little tricky. After checking in you must stop at the timeshare desk to schedule an appointment to meet with their sales staff. After scheduling that appointment then you are given your parking pass. When meeting with sales staff they use VERY HIGH PRESSURE sales tactics. So much so that they called me and my spouse stupid for not buying more timeshare points. After refusing to purchase more they immediately turned very rude in the sales office. We didn't try any of the restaurants but did purchase food items from the small on-site store. Transportation to Disney parks was reliable but the buses were old and dirty. We would stay again despite being called stupid. At one point our air conditioner wasn't working. The maintenance staff was very quick to come up to fix it. There is a switch on the sliding door and if the door isn't shut tight the a/c won't work. Walls were thin and we could hear our neighbors at night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family