“Unbelievably overpriced”

Dakshin Indian Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Dakshin Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,225 of 3,808 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Description: First of its kind in Orlando, India's innovative cuisine, the very name 'Dakshin' evokes opulence in taste and decor. Dakshin introduces you to a cuisine from the southern part of India stretching from the rugged coastlines of Tamil Nadu and Kerala to the sun-drenched beaches of Goa and Mumbai on India's western coast. As spectacular and surprising as the country sides are, so are the cuisines of its many communities, which were confined by and large to family kitchens, until Dakshin, the restaurant, captured and showcased them. Created from a wealth of local spices, red chillies, coconut, pepper and spices of the coast, the cuisines of the Tamilians of Tamil Nadu, the Malayalees of Kerala, the Bunts of Mangalore, the Portuguese of Goa and the East Indians of Mumbai, are a delight to the taste buds.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Unbelievably overpriced”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I visited Dakshin recently and ordered the kerala fish curry, lamb masala, lamb rogan josh, butter chicken, malai kofta. The food was average to good depending on each dish. The fish curry had the taste of the "fish", if you get me. The Lamb masala was very good and the butter chicken too. Our waiter explained each of the dishes to us and brought them out in the correct level of spiciness, not too much.

However when the bill came, I could not believe my eyes. 220USD for 5+1(child) people.. The quantity of each of the dishes were 30% less than other Indian restaurants which I frequent. The payasam and gulab jamun were about 7usd a dish and it was really small( I pay 3.50 usually).. How can the dishes be that expensive?
After eating there, I will never step foot into another Dakshin in the US.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank AshtonLuke

• Arabic first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A quality Indian restaurant”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

From the Uk we are used to eating in lots of Indian restaurants> We stumbled across this one in a strip mall near our hotel. It was a good experience, the menu was quite authentic, and the service and food quality was excellent. Well worth trying. Dishes were quite spicy, but the waiters could advise on your selection.If we were visiting Orlando again in the future for a few days, we would go again.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank george g
Orlando, Florida
“Unique”
Reviewed October 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Friendly staff, great food with a focus on southern Indian dishes. I liked the chicken coragosi (sp)

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Troy L
Orlando, Florida
“Yummy Indian dishes!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Dakshin is just amazing!! Dakshin was recommended by a fellow passenger on my flight to Orlando and it didn't disappoint us.Food is excellent - very interesting menu, Indian with a twist!

Service was great, nice wine list.
Overall a must visit if you go to Orlando.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Nevin P
“Amazing Indian”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just visited the surf show in Orlando & was yearning to try something different. We stumbled upon Dakshin - a quaint cozy Indian Restaurant in a busy Disney Strip Mall.

I'm amazed by the extreme reviews for this place. Our group of 5 dined at Dakshin. We tried a little bit of everything , from the idlis as appetizers to the Kerala fish curry, Kerala lamb dish & chicken chettina.
We even tried the Indian homemade cheese Paneer in a creamy tomato gravy. The Restaurant was very accommodating to make the dishes mild and bring us some spicy sauce on the side for the braver souls on the table.
The food was superb or should I say - Delicioso like how they would say it in Italy. I have had Indian food in the past at buffets, but this stuff was very flavorful and gourmet tasting.
I have found my new favorite dish in Chicken Chettina. We all ended up spending about $34 per person which even included the tip. Compares to what one would spend at your local chain restaurants for entrees.
I would definitely recommend Dakshin as a must eat place in Orlando.

• Visited September 2013