“Authentic South Indian cuisine” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dakshin Indian Cuisine

Dakshin Indian Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Dakshin Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,424 of 3,658 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Healthy
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Description: First of its kind in Orlando, India's innovative cuisine, the very name 'Dakshin' evokes opulence in taste and decor. Dakshin introduces you to a cuisine from the southern part of India stretching from the rugged coastlines of Tamil Nadu and Kerala to the sun-drenched beaches of Goa and Mumbai on India's western coast. As spectacular and surprising as the country sides are, so are the cuisines of its many communities, which were confined by and large to family kitchens, until Dakshin, the restaurant, captured and showcased them. Created from a wealth of local spices, red chillies, coconut, pepper and spices of the coast, the cuisines of the Tamilians of Tamil Nadu, the Malayalees of Kerala, the Bunts of Mangalore, the Portuguese of Goa and the East Indians of Mumbai, are a delight to the taste buds.
New Delhi, India
“Authentic South Indian cuisine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

The decor , the plates and the ambiance gives a south Indian feel to the place.The menu has a good mix of dishes from the southern states.
We had ordered the Alleppey fish curry and a chicken Manglorian curry. The food was very good.My husband liked the taste of the food.The service was also good.

However there weren't many people dining that night, maybe the minimum food laws must be putting off people.Also the GPS didn't correctly take us to this place .This is near Moes grill.

would recommend this place for taste .

Visited April 2013

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I gotta say, I'm amazed at the extreme scales of the reviews for this place. I'll start by saying that I'm a regular participant in Indian cuisine back in the UK . I went to dakshin for lunch and the place was about half full. I was met by the husband and wife team who quickly seated me and brought my drinks over. I wasn't sure what to have, but listened to the suggestions offered. I opted for a madras hot chicken dish which wasn't on the menu, but they were quite happy to alter the spiciness of any dish to suit.
My dish arrived. It was a hot chicken dish in indian gravy made with curry leaves and fresh spices, and a nice hot chilli kick. It came with lentil sambal, coconut chutney and dosa. It tasted very light, and very fresh and had that nice spicy chilli kick that I'd been missing for the past 2 weeks whilst away from the UK. I have traveled to Florida for 21years now, and I don't know how I missed this place (been here for 10years apparently). I won't miss it again, now I've found it. Sure. It ain't cheap...but then I've found most Indian restaurants over here aren't cheap, unless you opt for the buffet...which does not give the same individuality and freshness that I got today.
I left the restaurant feeling I could eat it again, but knowing I'd had enough. I guess it shows how different people really do have different tastes. The food here was definitely to my taste and I'll definitely be back.

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A Gem! (from and Indian's perspective)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This Indian restaurant is NOT your typical heavy cream North Indian Style Cuisine. It is a South Indian Non- Veg restaurant that is Outstanding! We went for dinner, it was so good we went for lunch the next day! The dinner menu has wonderful meat and seafood offerings from Kerala and Tamil Nadu. The lunch menu has veg and non-veg Thalis with a variety of Dosas. This restaurant is not to be missed if you are visiting Orlando!

Visited March 2013
“Good food, great prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Visited on 6th January 2013. Shrimp koorma was excellent. Dosa was crispy and the sambar was tasty. Veg biryani was spicy and stimulating. Kadai chicken was just right. Mango lassi was OK. Strangely the restaurant was a bit deserted. I was wondering why such a nice restaurant had run out of its patrons. I would visit this place any time.

• Visited January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very disappointing experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

I can truly say that this was my worst Indian restaurant experience ever in USA. I went to eat dosa and they don't have dosa in the dinner menu...no dosa in a South Indian restaurant is unheard of. So we ordered other stuff but food quality was very poor...we couldn't finish the food and paid a very large bill in which they already added the the tips in advance. Even the service was bad.All in all we came out of the restaurant very disappointed having paid a very large amount for very bad food.

Visited December 2012
8 Thank Vasu G
dakshingm, Owner at Dakshin Indian Cuisine, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I am appalled by the customers who are shocked to learn WE DO NOT SERVE DOSAS at Dinner. DOSAS are a breakfast item in India and are generally served at Breakfast or at Lunch. Dakshin is in a Disney Owned retail Shopping center and the rents paid are very high. The same reason why there are NO Indian Restaurants serving DOSA in Manhattan, in New York.

We are a South Indian Coastal Curry Restaurant. DOSAS are served only at Lunch. We also state that we customarily add a ( measly ) 15% gratuity to the checks for the simple reason that tourists generally do not tip. We get a great deal of tourists from around the globe, and several of them are accustomed to tip being automatically included on their check.

Regarding the food at Dakshin, we only serve freshly prepared meals expertly prepared by an Indian chef when the order is placed.