“:(”

Dakshin Indian Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Dakshin Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,287 of 3,898 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Lake Buena Vista
Description: First of its kind in Orlando, India's innovative cuisine, the very name 'Dakshin' evokes opulence in taste and decor. Dakshin introduces you to a cuisine from the southern part of India stretching from the rugged coastlines of Tamil Nadu and Kerala to the sun-drenched beaches of Goa and Mumbai on India's western coast. As spectacular and surprising as the country sides are, so are the cuisines of its many communities, which were confined by and large to family kitchens, until Dakshin, the restaurant, captured and showcased them. Created from a wealth of local spices, red chillies, coconut, pepper and spices of the coast, the cuisines of the Tamilians of Tamil Nadu, the Malayalees of Kerala, the Bunts of Mangalore, the Portuguese of Goa and the East Indians of Mumbai, are a delight to the taste buds.
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Very Expensive. And taste is not so authentic/good. Have to improve a lot. Sambhar was just ok and chutney not at all good with very less salt and spices. For such a wonderful location, if the quality of the food was better, I wouldn't mind paying the exorbitant prices they charge.

3  Thank Priya A

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I cannot say worse things about this restaurant. The food was awful...stale and tasteless, the service even worse. 1 server for the entire restaurant and that too a super rude one. On top of everything he charged us extra and argued with us over his mistake. We were a group of 12 visiting Orlando for Disney from NYC and this was our worst exp in Orlando and our worst exp in a restaurant ever.

6  Thank Shirinv
dakshingm, Owner at Dakshin Indian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Reggie DSouza here with Dakshin. This table arrived at 9 pm for dinner. 6 Adults & 6 kids. They asked if we had Dosas ? I stated Dosas are served at Lunch only. In India, Dosas are a breakfast item, and restaurants serve them at breakfast or at Lunch only. They wanted us to make an exception. Since it couldn't be accommodated, I felt in my mind, that was the start of their complaining from that point onwards.

They ordered 1 entree - Vegetable Biryani - cost $14.95 served with Pachaadi ( kerala infused yogurt ), 4 idlis ( 2 rice patties served with sambar & chutney in each idli order ) for the 6 kids to share and 3 side orders of Rice to feed 6 Adults & 6 kids. Another request; My kids are starving at 9:15 pm !! ; so could you please rush my order. I said, I will do my best as it was a packed house and other tables too had kids on them.

Complimentary Papadums & mixed Mango Pickles were served on the entire table, although only ONE dinner ENTREE was ordered. They ate it all, and requested for more Papadums. $3.95 was charged for the refill of the Papadums for the entire table. ( 14 whole Papadums were served in 2 baskets ). All the food arrived to the table within 20 minutes of initial order. Some of the items made it to the table in 10 minutes.

When the check was presented, the customer stated they didn't want to pay for the $3.95 charge for the Papadums. I approached the table, and at that point, they mentioned the food was bad and oily, yet not a single morsel of rice remained in either of the dishes. I stated to the table in a very polite and professional manner that Papadums are only served complimentary when at least 1 Dinner Entree is ordered by each ADULT. We still served the entire table 2 baskets of Papadums ( 14 in total ) initially after only ONE dinner entree was ordered to feed a table of 6 adults & 6 kids.

They then stated, we remove the charge for the Papadums or they will go online and write a nasty review, which now I am stating my side of what happened.

Total bill was under $105.00 and that included 15% gratuity and 6.5% sales tax.

It would have costed more to DINE at McDonalds. !!!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Worst restaurant I have ever been in my life- comfortably. Terrible food and indifferent service. Severely understaffed . First time I have been to a South Indian restaurant which does not have dosas or even rasam. The food was oily, old and tasteless. To rub it in the food was expensive. $ 15 for veg biryani is ridiculous. And they also quietly over charged us for items. I am compelled to give this horrible review and am typing it from our vehicle. Went with a large group (6 adults and 6 kids) and turned out to be a Terrible finish to what was till then a wonderful day at Disney .

3  Thank Visrini

Total bill was under $105.00 and that included 15% gratuity and 6.5% sales tax.

It would have costed more to DINE at McDonalds. !!!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We happened upon Dakshin and it was such a pleasant surprise. Our waiter was prompt and knowledgable about the preparations and flavors. The portions were large and I thought the value was great!
I wish there was an Indian restaurant in Central MA like this.......If you are in the LBV or Orlando area please head here first!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had been here before in 2006 and the standard remains high. The menu is good and offers less familiar options than other restaurants in Edinburgh, Scotland where we usually eat Indian food. They don't serve nan bread but offer paratha instead, which smelled fantastic and tasted just as good. Our server checked with us about the strength of spice we wanted. An explanation of how to use the three small metal dishes and the large platter would have helped but didn't really matter as we mixed everything up. We overheard our server talking to another guest, who was visiting from Bombay, and heard him say the taste of the food was very authentic. It was a little bit more expensive than other local places serving steak etc but the quality of the food more than makes it good value.