“Just like home without the work!”

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Somerset, England
“Just like home without the work!”
Reviewed March 24, 2009

This was our second stay at Saratoga Springs. We love this place, Clean, safe, spacious and comfortable.
Large rooms, well appointed. Turf restaurant serves the best steak we've ever had. Swimming pools are grand.
The grounds are large and very well landscaped - some lovely walks here.
We will be back!
Complementary busses to other Disney sites and parks makes for a relaxing time.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (999)
  • Korean first
East Lansing, MIchigan
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I really question the management of an organization that closes the main pool of one of their largest resorts for three weeks in peak season. Closure wasn't noted on the website when I booked last August, happened to find out about it at the last minute so requested a Villa in Congress Park section (which had it's own smaller pool and was closest to Downtown Disney).

Proximity to Downtown Disney is the main thing Saratoga has going for it, and even that's not saying as much as it would be if Pleasure Island nightclubs were open. Living area in the 2 BR Villas were much smaller than at Old Key West, and gave one the impression of staying in a sterile, corporate apartment instead of at a resort. Food at the Artists Pallette was terrible, cardboard sandwiches & flatbreads--kids couldn't finish their food and neither could I. Turf Club restaurant/lounge looked nice, but who knows if it really was--restaurant was only open from noon-9 pm. Spa was nice but pricey, & they try to push their expensive products on you when treatment is over.

On the positive side, bus service was fine, and we got to all the parks quite quickly/efficiently. Bedrooms were also spacious and comfortable.

But to repeat, what amazed me most was that for the peak season rates I paid, the main pool was not open. Disney must be hiring ex-Wall Streeters to schedule their resort maintenance.

Next year I'll stay at Old Key West again, or check out the new Animal Kingdom Villas or Beach Club. Staying here once would be okay, IF you're in Congress Park and like Downtown Disney, but I for one will not be repeating.

boston
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We Stayed at Saratoga for 6 nights and it was ok. The 1sr room they put us in a dark studio overlooking the parking lot? And it could not have been further away from the main pool and main buildings. (We complained and moved the next day to stido that was much closer thankfully!) The bus service was good, the main pool was open and really fun but we were dissapointed in the restaurants. Very expensive at the "store" and the counter service meals were awful and to the dismay of our kids....no french fries served at all? I have an allergy to down pillows and asked for one that was not down- Housekeeping argued with me- and continually told me that they didn't carry feather/down pilows. Finally they sent up a new pillow. ( Which I showed to the maid the actual "feathers" tag on the pillow and she was like Ohhh ok.) Could care less-
All in all it was ok- but we won't rush back here. We actually liked staying at the Riverside better

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Midwest
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I had a myriad of minor issues with this place. Day 1 I was thrilled, the room was great, service was awesome, no waiting in long food service lines. My significant other and I would poke each others ribs every time we saw our bellman as no matter what he was doing he had a gigantic goofy smile on his face - the guy really seemed to enjoy his life, anyone who knows Disney gets how viral this feeling is.

anyway, minor things, day 2 i decided to splurge and spent what I consider a large amount on a flower arrangement as a surprise for my SO while she was at the spa. That got lost for almost a day. The florist did a fine job, the hotel personnel lost it in the dock area I guess. No big except I'm only there for 6 days and this thing wasn't cheap and they weren't super proactive about finding it for me.

day 3 I was sick as a dog with a cold so I decided to take a bath and thats when I noticed how awful dirty the tub was. Unacceptable. With the hours i spent on our couch that day I noticed this was pretty tired too. "complimentary" in room coffee cost $5 to deliver and for that price I'll just go buy good coffee every morning (except its disney so its nescafe garbage. bring your own which I will do in the future).

Two occasions I waited for the bus about 25 mins. I don't know that "more buses" will fix this issue on such a large set of properties, but maybe a shuttle service to downtown would make sense. I dunno, it's Disney's job to fix it, not mine :)

Pool is undergoing renovation. No big, luckily I don't have kids. DVC tells you that pool hopping is just fine and dandy and then you get a list of all the places you're not allowed to hop too and all the times you can't hop. Not that they have any idea who is staying where but it's kinda silly.

The quick service food at this place SUCKED. That's probably more of a personal thing because I didn't like the taste, not that it was necessarily bad. Saratoga also is a "New York State" themed resort so it has a tendency to attract New York city residents (why would you go on vacation only to stay at a place that reminds you of home?). Generally people from the midwest, like us, need a little more personal space and we're generally a little softer in our personal interactions with each other. Take this with a grain of salt it's completely my own opinion, but not every character at Disney is hired by them :)

Minor stuff. DVC is an awesome experience but I will probably not be back to Saratoga.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thefirebuilds
Patchogue
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We just returned last night and didn't want to wait to write a review - hopefully sparing someone else from spending their points or money at this hotel.

We were given 3 nights of our stay as an incentive for buying more DVC points. We decided to use our points to add on 3 more nights, and used more points to get a room for my inlaws too. Our 2 bedroom villa was nothing less than disgusting. The window sills were rotted, the carpet looked like the original one that was installed whenever this place was built (worn, pulls, stains, lumps - we wouldn't even take our shoes off) and overall the place was musty smelling and dingy. But we got off easy - my inlaws had the same dingy-ness with an added sour milk smell. We REALLY should have complained but just sucked it up. Believe me, my letter is going out in the mail today.

Also, upon check-in, we were notified that the main pool was closed for refurbishment -- I have 4 young children and spending a day or 2 at the pool is just as important as going to the parks, so this was devastating to us and to my kids. There was no notification given to us of this prior to our arrival. So instead, we had to use the pool by our unit - which was a very basic pool - no slides, no snack bars, no drinks - nada. Very boring. Totally not what I have in mind for a vacation.

We were in Congress Park, so if you needed anything from the store it was a 10 minute walk. Really not convenient.

Considering this was our first visit using our vacation points, it really makes me nervous of what is to come. I hope this was not an indication of what the resort that we joined (Animal Kingdom Lodge) is going to be like.

Anyway, don't waste your money here -- the All-Stars could not possibly be worse and are a helluva lot cheaper.

2 Thank BarbaraPann
GA
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Good:
-Good sized room
-relaxing setting
-restaurants were good

Bad:
-sleeper sofa is really uncomfortable, expecting two beds, not 1 bed & sleeper sofa.
-main pool closed
-bus service slow

Disney overbooked the the hotel we had reserved, and moved us to Sarasota Springs. I really don't have a problem them with moving us to another resort, I just wished that they had tried to contact us before we tried to check in at original hotel. We had booked a traditional hotel room with 2 beds and they gave a 1 bedroom condo. While we liked the additional space and kitchen, we didn't like only having one bed. The setting was very relaxing and peaceful. The big theme pool with the water slide and children's play area was closed for repair, but there was a small pool near our building. We rode the Disney shuttle bus to the parks on the first day. We had a 40 minute wait going and 30 minute wait returning, standing room only both ways. We drove to the parks after that, which worked well, since parking is included.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank GJY
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 27, 2009

This was our first experience as DVC Members and we spent ten days at SSR including New Years Eve and it was absolutely fabulous. We are actually going back in March. The grounds are beautiful, the buses run constantly, never waiting long, getting to the buses from the parks is easy as SSR is one of the first few bus stops not a long walk. The rooms are wonderful and the staff is of course Disney's best.

Food was great at the restaurants and the spa and gym are wonderful. We loved the hot tubs and the main pool. The concierge staff is excellent and always wiling to help with the littlest details like horseback riding. Everything about this resort is wonderful and I am not easy to impress. We use to stay at the All Star Resorts what a difference. Luggage arrived immediately not a five hour wait, room was ready right away and immaculate.

I cannot recommend this enough we are totally looking forward to going back in March and staying at SSR. We love taking the boat to Downtown Disney its awesome. We played tennis, basketball, the pool has great activities and we rented bikes and checked out the resort.

Being a DVC Member is absolutely wonderful and we love it.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family