“Third Time is the Charm”

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #78 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Fairfield, New Jersey
“Third Time is the Charm”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Made our 3rd trip to Disney since March of 2012 and all three times we elected to stay at Saratoga Springs. Everything was great from the moment we checked all the way to our departure 7 days later.

The grounds of this resort are absolutely beautiful and well maintained. The pool areas are always kept clean with an over abundance of personnel to keep everything looking good.

Our room was clean when we arrived with the balconies facing the Downtown Disney area. Just by chance we were able to get a room in the Paddock building right next to the pool. In the past they initially put us quite a distance from the pool but we asked to be moved at check-in and they were very accommodating. I'm sure this depends upon their occupancy situation at the time.

The activities staff was great. They host a "pool party" every day from 1 to 5pm with all different types of activities for the kids. A schedule was given to us in our welcome packet.

We only ate at the Paddock Pool quick-serve restaurant and the Artist's Pallete in the main building. For a quick burger and fries or a flatbread pizza at lunch you can't go wrong.

Overall this had been my favorite Disney resort so far. In the past we've stayed at Animal Kingdom, Old Key West and The Boardwalk. They're all very good and obviously offer different amenities but if you have little kids the kid pool is ideal. We will definitely stay at this resort when we visit again.

2 Thank Tuddy21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Korean first
Canton, Georgia, United States
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I requested a room in the Springs, the area closest to the main pool and restaurants. We got a great condo on the 4th floor with a view of a pond and the hot air balloon at Downtown Disney.

Our room was very neat and clean and gave the 5 of us plenty of room to stretch out and relax in separate areas if desired. The master bath was very large and made up of 3 separate areas; a Jacuzzi tub, sink, vanity and mirror, and a walk in closet with a full length mirror were off the bedroom area; a shower and pedestal sink and mirror off of the tub area, and a separate room with a toilet connected to the shower area. We had a VERY comfortable king bed, although the pillows were unusually small. The 2nd bedroom had 2 Queen beds and a private tub/shower combo and toilet, as well as a large vanity with 2 separate sinks. The kitchen was fully stocked with anything you might need to cook or serve meals, a stove and oven, microwave, toaster,coffee pot, single bowl sink with disposal, and a dishwasher. There was also a refrigerator with a freezer on top; no ice maker but 2 ice cube trays. The living room furniture- a sofa and arm chair- were not comfortable but were tolerable for short periods of time. We did like the large breakfast table and bench seat. There were also 2 chairs that sit under a bar on the backside of the kitchen area. I spent a fair amount of time on the porch off the living room enjoying the cool evenings on standard plastic patio chairs. We had maid service during our stay, and received a small box of laundry detergent each day, which was very convenient.

We had typical great Disney service and the resort is very conveniently located to all the parks. We didn’t use the bus service since we like to come and go as we please. We did use the boat service to Downtown Disney and it couldn’t have been more than 5 pleasant minutes away. (A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU to the captain of our boat who performed a few tricks with a magical Disney coin, then gave one to each of our boys!)

Because Saratoga is so much larger (and MUCH more expensive) than the other resorts we’ve stayed at in the past, there were absolutely NO crowds at the pools or restaurant and we literally did not see another person at our building until the last day we were there. I’m sure it also had something to do with the time of year we were there, but still, nice to feel like you have the place to yourself and we loved how quiet it was.

On the down side, the resort is very large and spread out so it’s not ideal for those who have trouble walking. The quick service restaurant menu did not change while we were there – I guess that’s normal? We went offsite to other resort restaurants a couple of times for some variety. Also, the 2 hot tubs at the main pool were not open while we were there, I don’t know why. For the amount of money we spent, I would expect more diversity in the menu and access to all the amenities.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and will likely return or maybe check out another DVC resort. I’ve mentioned price a few times because it really is very expensive, but bottom line, you get what you pay for.

2 Thank theoriginalcat
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at Saratoga Springs Resort last month in a separate villa from my daughter, her husband, and 4 children, who stayed in a villa just down the hall from me. The villa was a nice plus for their large family.

We stayed in The Springs, which was just across the road from the main building where restaurants and a big pool was located. The bus transportation for the parks was right at the road so we didn't have far to walk. The resort had very good lighting at night and lots of security. The Artist's Palette was a good fast-food restaurant there, and they also sold supplies, food, and gifts. The Turf & Surf Restaurant opens for dinner; we dined there once and it was nice. The resort is kept very clean and attractive, though there was a bad odor around the exterior of our particular building that was quite noticeable at times.

The 2-bedroom villa was nice and roomy. The master suite had a large bedroom with a king bed, flat screen TV, ceiling fan, and furniture for clothing. There was a telephone and a desk in the corner of the room.

The master bath had updated fixtures and granite countertops. However, it was a rather odd configuration with lots of doors. One door opened to the area with a large whirlpool tub, sink, and closet. Another door opened to a room with a shower and second sink. Then another door opened to a toilet nook. All those doors were a little much. Another thing that was odd was that there are motion detectors in the ceilings of the bathroom that came on every time I walked in/out. My daughter and her husband complained about these motion detectors coming on in the middle of the night when one of them would go into the bathroom; the noise was loud enough to wake the other spouse.

The unit had a living room open to the kitchen and a small dining area. The living room had a couch (cushions were getting thin so it was a bit uncomfortable), a chair, and an armoire with another flat screen TV. There were lots of channels available with the TV service. There was a ceiling fan in the living area.

The kitchen was well-equipped. The countertops have been updated to granite and there was a bar with extra seating attached. The dishwasher, range, and microwave were full-sized, but the refrigerator was a smaller size; all the appliances worked well though they seemed to have some age on them (they were all off-white). The refrigerator had no ice maker; 2 ice trays were in the freezer. There was a small table/booth just next to the kitchen that would probably seat 4.

The second bedroom had 2 queen beds, a flat screen TV, ceiling fan, and furniture for storage along with a large closet. The bathroom had double sinks with updated granite countertops and fixtures. The tub/shower and toilet were behind one door.

I felt that the majority of the villa was very clean - especially the bathrooms and kitchen - but the master bedroom was very dusty. I was very congested at night during my stay as I have a dust mite allergy. I couldn't help but notice that the lamp shades were covered with dust and the top of one of them even had spider webs on it. The villa didn't have any bug problems, which pleased me.

The villa had a stacked washer/dryer unit in a closet just off the foyer. There was a small in-room safe located in the master closet. However, when I called prior to my arrival to ask about a safe being available in the room, I was told they didn't have any! The safe is accessible by a key; if lost, the resort will charge $35 for a replacement. The second bedroom closet was equipped with extra blankets and pillows. Another closet had supplies such an iron, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, and laundry basket. Both bathrooms had hair dryers attached to the walls. The villa had a heat/air unit which worked well.

All the employees at the resort were friendly, helpful, and well-mannered. I was very pleased with their customer service.

Overall I liked the resort and would stay there again.

3 Thank travelbugbigtime
Copenhagen
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We just returned from a visit to Disney World where we stayed at Saratoga Springs.

We were 14 family members meeting up for a reunion, and booked two 2-bedroom villas. In our room was us with our two sons (ages 15 and 12) and my sister with her 3 sons (ages 18, 14 and 11).

The room was perfect for us! There was plenty of space, and the full kitchen allowed both for relaxing breakfasts, as well as dinners when the long days in the parks were overwhelming and dinner with the whole family was just too much to think about. Our washer and dryer also got a workout during our stay, and it was so nice having these in our room!

The resort is beautifully laid out, and even where there are a lot of people there, it still feels spacious and quiet. The room was beautifully cleaned every day - not easy with 5 tweens and teens in the room! - and the staff were exceptional. The resort pools are very nice, not crowded, and some of the staff interacted well with the kids to get them moving.

The location is perfect for families with teens, as Disney Quest is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Our boys enjoyed being able to go there for a few hours after dinner and hang out.

It is also possible to fish in some of the lakes - just ask at reception and they will give you a map showing where you can fish. Our 15 year old caught some rather large bass there in the evenings!

There is a small shop and counter service restaurant which has nice quick food. The food in the kiosk is a little pricy, but not bad, considering it is at a resort.

If we ever return to Disney World, we will again stay at this resort, as it had everything we were looking for and more!

3 Thank wrldtrvlerCopenhagen
Nicholasville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We had a two bed room suite which was very nice and comfortable. With 2 queen beds, a king, and a queen pull out you can easily sleep 8 people. However if you plan to use the pull out, bring an air mattress. That bed is very uncomfortable. Fortunately we planned a head and did that. I would reccomend another resort if you are going to the theme parks, as transportation is only by bus. The buses run often, but it is nice to have the monorail and boat options as well. Over all it was a great place to stay, especially with several family members.

• Stayed September 2013
Powys - UK
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here 24 days in September 2013, leaving in a few days but we have really enjoyed our stay again. We stayed in a room in the Springs block and it was very clean and reasonably quiet. We did find this stay that all staff were very friendly a plus on last time and it also seems as though the sofa and carpets have been renewed recently which was nice, also the shower curtain is now rounded so when you shower it does not stick to you anymore :0). Overall for the price paid it was worth the 5 star review.
Used the gym a few times and was clean and simple no hassles and the pools were quiet which was nice so had peaceful swims.
It always seems like when leaving parks there are more Saratoga busses so we never really waited for one any day in our stay.
The walkway is currently closed to downtown disney so be prepared to wait ages for a bus or detour round pass security if you are walking but not much extra hassle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
lockport, ny
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We recently rented a 1 bdrm villa at SSR, but I don't think we'll return.

Pros:

Our rooms were very clean.

The entire staff was exemplary! From check-in to check-out we were treated with utmost consideration and kindness. For example, because of the long bus rides, we called Bell Services early one morning to ask them to call a cab for an early morning breakfast reservation. Instead they sent a driver in the resort van to take us to the park. (Of course we tipped him over & above the amt we would have pd for a cab.) I'm told they will often offer the van to those who make arrangements early enough.

The rooms are well appointed with a fully stocked kitchen including dishes, pots & pans, toaster, coffee maker, etc. In all but the Studios you will have a full-size refrig, range, & dishwasher. You can ask for small appliances such as blenders, if they're not already there.

Cons:

It lacks any Disney "charm", IMHO and the busses were really awful! (LOOOONG transport times. It is a very spread out resort, located far away from anything other than Downtown Disney. Altho that's nice, we don't go to Disney World to "do" Downtown Disney - we go for the resort ambience and parks.
It reminded me of a condo or apt complex - and certainly not one I would consider in the deluxe category (which is what it's listed at & what you pay for). All rooms open out into a walkway (as in a motel), rather than into a common area or lobby. It can be a 15 or 20 minute walk to the main bldg., especially if you have small children with you. No covered walkways between bldgs. - meaning you will get soaked or baked, depending on the weather on any particular day. Rooms are outdated tho very clean. They recently did an update on the rooms - but they just don't reflect that Disney feel or the price.

Table service restaurants are non-existent (except for the Turf Club - which doesn't open until dinner.) Other restaurants were pool grills or fast food. Room service was non-existent - unless you wanted to order pizza delivery - and that's not what I consider room service.

For the price we paid at Saratoga Springs we could have gotten a modern, gorgeous off site property for much less, even factoring in a car rental. The only thing we would have lacked would have been Extra Magic Hours - and for the price, I could have done without. For a little more, we could have rented at Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom, which have much better theming and on-site restaurants.

The nice thing about SSR is that because it's such a large resort, there are usually openings when others are fully booked. It's also less expensive than most. However, I'd stay elsewhere, if given the choice. But that's just me.

There are those who justifiably love SSR, but I'm just not one of them. Please feel free to ask me any questions, if you like. I'll give you my honest opinion. I guess after this long dissertation what I'm trying to say is that it's nice, but not necessarily for me.

I can't comment on the spa because it was closed & undergoing improvements during our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family