“Fabulous Hotel”

Ranked #33 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Massachusetts
“Fabulous Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hilton September 6-12. This is an absolutely beautfiul hotel. We had a king sized bed which was extremely comfortable. These rooms are suites that can accommodate up to 4 people (sofa pullout), washer and dryer. They are very well maintained.

The staff was very accommodating and friendly, although, I didn't have any contact with them except during our arrival. The safe in the room did not work and I didn't bother to use it because of my short stay. Rooms are cleaned every other day which I thought was fine.

The location is great, its close to the Premier malls, all the restaurants and the Publix supermarket which is very convenient and parking was free.
The only downsize was the phone call to attend one of their timeshare presentations . They offered us $100 rebate on our room, a free hot breakfast, or Disney or Seaworld tickets if we attended a 90 minute presentation. We opted out because of our tight schedule.

There is a Pizza Hut on the premises that will deliver to the rooms. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Liked — Room cleanliness and maintenance
  • Disliked — Pressure to attend a timeshare seminar
  • Tips/Secrets — Make a reservation
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Laaj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2006

After 5 months of hectic travel through Asia, Europe and the U.S. we decided to pamper ourselves at the Hilton Grand Vactions Club (HGVC), which turned out to be one of the better accommodation decisions we'd made during our travels.

Location-wise the HGVC is situated on Arezzo Way, and there's a Publix supermarket and a premium outlet mall both located across the road which made getting groceries and indulging in retail therapy dead easy. As we didn't want the hassle of getting lost and driving a car in Orlando, Venturing further afeild meant catching the i-Ride trolley bus (US$1) outside the HGVC's front gate. For fun parks the HGVC have a free shuttle to Universal studios and seaworld and Disney for US$10.

Rather than going for a studio which had only basic kitchen facilities, we booked an apartment suite. It was superb. Where most of the aparthotels we'd previously stayed at failed abysmally to live up to their claims of fully equipped kitchens, the HGVC's kitchen was loaded with every utensil and appliance we could think of and then some (there was even a blender!). The lounge/Dining area was similarly well appointed complete with a 30" TV and DVD as well as free wireless internet access. The Bedroom also had a 25" TV and the supersized king bed was incredibly comfy. Best of all the large bathrooms had a whirlpool bathtub as well a powershower. All the fittings and furnishings were spotless and it was obvious that a lot of thought had gone into setting the apartment up.

The HGVC's two pool areas were also pretty good, with the smaller one less busy, whilst the larger one had a poolside snack bar and more kids. On alternate nights poolside movies were screened and there was always poolside activities (the animal show was our favourite). Both pools are heated and there'a also hottubs. About my only gripe was the piped music in the pool areas, but that wasn't a biggie as volume levels were kept fairly low.

There were really only two very minor negatives with the HGVC. The first gotcha is the limited eating options at the HGVC. Although poolside snacks are available and there's a pizza hutt on the premises (why a blue-chip brand like the Hilton had a crappy pizza hutt on site was bit of a mystery), dining options at the HGVC were somewhat lacklustre and the few restaurants located close by also failed to shine. This wasn't a problem for us as we were keen to take full advantage of the apartments kitchen, but it might be an issue if you've booked a studio (which has limited kitchen facilities) or don't want to trek down i-Drive every night to dine. The second negative is that you'll recieve a phone call inviting you to a breakfast where you'll hear a pitch to buy timeshare. Thankfully they're not pushy and we only had the one timeshare phone call.

Those two minor grizzles aside, the HGVC was a fantastic spot and was so comfy we could easily have moved there permanently. The HGVC's positives definintely outweigh the negatives and I'd strongly reccomend it.

• Liked — It was "just right", nothing was difficult and everything was luxurious
  • Disliked — We were surprised at the lack of dining options given the size of the resort
  • Tips/Secrets — If you're wanting to visit the Kennedy Space Centre (which by the way is totally excellent) and you dont have your own transport, try alligator tours who were brilliant and picked us up from the hotel
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank PatrickP
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2006

My family recently stayed at the HGVC Orlando on International Drive. The grounds at the resort are very pretty. There is a ‘lake’ next to the property. The pool is great. There is even a small water play area for the kids. My young son also enjoyed playing in the kid’s play ground area. Several nights during the week, they even played outdoor movies at the pool. One night it was the movie, Curious George playing.

The staff at the resort are all very nice. The front desk people were great. I checked in on Sunday and checked out Sunday. When I checked in at 5:00 PM there was only one other person in front of me. They initially placed me on the first floor next to the parking lot and I asked to be moved to a higher floor and they accommodated me. We were on the fourth floor in a corner facing the parking lot. It had a partial view of the lake if you look out the balcony. When we checked out at 9:45 AM there was no one in the lobby. It was the easiest check out I ever had.

We had a two bedroom suite and it was of decent size. In the master bedroom there was a jet tub, but we didn’t use it. In the master bathroom, we had tiny ants roaming around the edges of the counter. We called the front desk and they sent a maintenance person within 15 minutes to spray the counter. The natural “non-toxic” spray worked for about 2 days and the ants found another opening and came out again. This time when I made the call, it took maintenance 45 minutes to show up. These ants are kind of hard to see initially because of their small size, but once you see them, you notice them right away.

The master bedroom had a king size bed and the second bedroom had 2 full size beds. Each room had its own television with many cable channels to watch. The beds were very comfortable to sleep in and the A/C worked great. The resort is also pretty quiet during the day and night.

I never saw the maid, but they cleaned the unit once during our 7 day stay. The suite was clean and well maintained. There are plenty of pots and pans in the granite kitchen as well as dishes and utensils. Dishwashing detergent was provided as well as detergent for the washer and dryer combo. The washer and dryer was a plus during our 7 day trip as we did many loads of laundry.

We were so busy visiting Disneyworld that we never really got to enjoy the resort. We had a rental car and drove to Disneyworld visiting the various theme parks as well as the two water parks. Downtown Disney is about a 5 to 10 minute drive depending on traffic. There is a market across the street from the resort as well as a McDonalds. There is also an outdoor outlet mall nearby, however it would be kind of far to walk if you have to carry things. To stay at this resort, I would definitely recommend a rental car to get around. Overall it was a great stay. The resort is nice and the staff is friendly. Just try not to visit in late September like I did or else you’ll get to know the “Love Bugs.” This was my first experience with them and it was quite annoying. I was told that it was a Florida kind of thing. For those you familiar with them, you know what I’m talking about

• Liked — The comfortable bed and the size of the rooms
  • Disliked — The ants.
  • Tips/Secrets — ENJOY
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank M L
Yorkshire,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2006

I have only one regret about booking the HGVC and that is that we didn't stay longer. Usually on a two-week holiday my wife starts looking forward to "sleeping in her own bed" about halfway through the second week. Not this time though, we really did not want to go home.

We arrived late afternoon and were dealt with at reception and in to our room immediately. All of the rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. I hadn't told the wife about the double Jacuzzi tub and so that was a nice surprise for her and we used it every day. The kitchenette had everything including cooker, microwave and fridge/freezer, although we only used the coffee maker (complimentary coffee) and the icemaker.

There were two large TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. The living room TV was connected through a bose sound system so I was glad to have taken some CDs to listen to.
The living room also opened on to a patio protected by mozzy nets (though we didn't see any mozzies) with a great view of the pool (see pics)

The bedroom was spacious enough and the king-size bed was extremely comfortable. This led to the Jacuzzi tub and through to the bathroom with double sink and shower cubicle.

Other features were a wash tub and dryer, iron and ironing board and digital safe. The maid service was efficient and unobtrusive.

The amenities at the hotel are great. The reason I picked this hotel is because I wanted to be on i-drive and I wanted a place with a good pool and good poolside bar. Spot on. The pool was great, the bar was great (especially the mango daiquiri and the watermelon snow cones), the food at the bar was great, and the staff were the best. There was an endless supply of sunbeds and towels and the two heated Jacuzzi pools were a treat. They also have "swim-by" movies, giant jenga and ice-cream specials.

Amazingly, we did use the gym (okay it was only once) and again it was well kept and we enjoyed the games room too. The on-site shop wasn't very well stocked but there is a foodmarket across the road although it was at no odds to us, as we didn't cook.

Next to the Hilton is the Premium Outlet Mall which is good news if you are bargain hunting but bad news if you have a wife with a fondness for shoes. Right outside is the stop for the i-trolley. You'll need this, as this is a remote and quite part of i-drive. But for a dollar you can use the trolley to go anywhere on i-drive and this it what we did (we would recommend Bahama Breeze). You can also use the trolley to get to and from Sea World if you choose. The trolley claims to come every 20 minutes but we never waited more than 5. However at the busiest times when it is stopping more regularly it can take 45 minutes to get to the busiest part of i-drive, but this didn't bother us. And it only runs until 10.30pm so you'll have to do as we did and taxi back (about $20-25, reasonable by UK standards).

Getting to the parks is easier as the Hilton puts on complimentary shuttles to Sea World and Universal and $10 shuttles to Disney. There were three pick up times through the morning and three return times in the afternoon/evening. We used the shuttle all the time without problem.

This was our first trip to Orlando and we loved it. We can't wait to go back and we know where we will be staying.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
13 Thank apeman
White Oak, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2006

Our travel party consisting of two families shared a large 3 bedroom suite in this hotel in July. Our suite was actually a 1BR with access to their 2 BR. We had our own kitchenette, bath and patio. The 2 BR unit had a full kitchen, dining area, livingroom, 2 full baths (1 with a huge whirlpool tub), and ofcourse the 2 bedrooms. The 2 BR unit included a stacked washer & dryer (priceless). The resort is HUGE, meticulously clean and well groomed. The hotel rooms were very clean and comfortable. Great bedding, no cheap mattresses....very plush. The main pool is absolutely HUGE. The children & adults all loved it. The complimentary shuttle service is excellent....but be prepared, the shuttle services 3-4 of their other properties as well. This means you will be making multiple stops on the way to or on the way back from your destination. The pool staff was fantastic. They keep a big supply of towels at the pool at all times. There are planned activities for the kids daily, and "dive-in" movies that you view poolside. We loved this hotel. If we visit Orlando again (which is not a likely probability because we don't like it, in our view it as a very high crime, rude, overpriced city). Downside to hotel - they have a Pizza Hut delivery service on site that and it is a rip off. We used it the first night we arrived because we arrived late and were too hungry to leave (just wanted to rest & unpack). The pizza took an hour and 30 minutes to deliver, was lukewarm, and cost twice the normal cost of their pizza. Don't bother. I do recommend eating at their poolside dining area. This food was delicious, hot, and competitively priced. Overall, I advise this as a better than average place to stay!

• Liked — luxurious, comfortable bedding
  • Disliked — on site Pizza service
  • Tips/Secrets — The hotel is not located on International Drive, call for specific directions when you reach Orlando
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
11 Thank KitKatluvr2
Wadley Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the HGVC from August 29th through September 5th.

The check in was smooth and we stayed in Building 5, Suite 5210. It was a 1 Bedroom Whirlpool Suite and was layed out perfectly. Our suite was equipped with a stove, full refrigerator, microwave, garbage disposal, washer, and dryer. They also have several kitchen utensils for cooking and eating. It was almost like being at home, but BETTER. The appliances are very modern. The countertops in both the kitchen and bathroom are done in Marble.

The living room has a Bose system and TV where there is a DVD player as well. The screened in porch is NICE and the bedroom has a TV as well.

The Beds are very comfortable and the seperate walk in shower was very nic. The bathroom has two sinks and lots of counter top space. The housekeeping staff is friendly and brought up anything you needed immediately after your call. They provide you with Tide laundry detergent as well to wash any of your clothing. Housekeeping kept our room full of clean fresh towels that were neatly placed.

Housekeeping does come in daily to replace towels and make up the bed free of charge. Please NOTE: If you want your bathroom/kitchen cleaned etc... beyond bed making and towel chaning, this is seperately billed! It is called Tidy Clean service and begins at around 25.00 for Studio room and 35.00 for the 1 Bedroom.

The staff was very nice and they bring the luggage to your room at check-in with no problem.

Do not let any negative reviews scare you away from this place. The property is beautiful and you receive a complimentary photo from the resort photography of you and your family.

There is a pizza hut on site and a deli as well. However, there is a 3 dollar delivery charge and 22% gratuity added to anything delivered to your room as well as sales tax. You may want to stay away from this.

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. I never experienced any problems with the elevator breaking as a previous review states from the same week.

We payed 112.50 a night with the AAA rate, which I think was great because we had several amenities and was close to eveything on I-Drive.

My husband and I will be returning next year!!

• Liked — The conveniences in the room, like a washer&dryer, stove, microwave, and refrigerator. The beds were comfortable as well.
  • Disliked — Limited Parking
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the timeshare offer to receive a gift. They sometimes offer cash in the amount of a one night's stay. My husband and I received 115.00.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank fonyaf
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2006

I stayed in a deluxe suite with my family (3 kids) for 4 nights and we were more than comfortable. I would give this resort 4 or 5 stars if I wasn't charged $700 for a room I did not occupy. Our flight from TX was delayed, which delayed our arrival. When we got there that night, the one person on duty was overwhelmed and we were separated into 2 rooms for the first night because the suite we reserved was not available. We were told that all our belongings would be transferred to a suite in the same villa the next day - which they were, while we were out at the pool. We had to go back to the information center to get our keys reactivated for the new rooms. Upon check out, we were in a great hurry and we couldn't get an itemized print out because of some computer issue. I didn't worry about it until I realized $700 suddenly disappeared from my checking account. The hotel manager had the nerve to tell me that I occupied 2 rooms instead of 1, but actually, they were charging me for one of the temporary rooms they put us in on the first night. They were charging me for their mistake!!! It took several phone calls and a stern reminder to them that I am an attorney to get them to relent. My refund is supposed to hit my account within 2 weeks (it has been 7 days and conuting). Aside from the poor customer service after my stay, the suite was great - the full kitchen, jacuzzi, and pull out bed were all great, and we were never crowded. The screened patio was nice and the beds were comfortable. The coupons for the paper and continental breakfast (Starbucks coffee) were great, but it would have been nice to be able to choose something other than pastries and bagels (all bread). The main pool is great - we spent hours in it. The Publix and Walgreens across the street and the outlet mall next door were added bonuses - just don't spend as much $$$ there as we did! The Pizza Hut was very convenient for the long days at the pool - just don't have it delivered because the fees are ridicuous. Rent a car because you will need it for the theme parks and should you want to venture out for dinner at one of the many nearby restaurants. During our stay, the staff was great, but oh how they changed when I demanded my $700 back. If I don't get my money back within 7 days, I will certainly update this post!

• Liked — The property
  • Disliked — The $700 error/overcharge on my bill
  • Tips/Secrets — Check your bill!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business