“Happy with Hilton”

Ranked #36 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Stockton Ca
“Happy with Hilton”
Reviewed October 10, 2009

First off let me say this resort is GEORGOUS!!! The grounds are huge and stunning. It is all built with an Italian/Tuscan theme. We really did not know what to expect as we had never even heard of this hotel before they called us. We literally were in the middle of planing our Disney Cruise vacation and trying to find a hotel big enough for the 7 of us for pre cruise, when we got a phone call from Hilton Grand Vacations Club [HGVC] offering us a free stay in Las Vegas. At first I said "No thank you." And explained to them that we were already going on vacation and didn't have the time or dollars for another one. So they asked what days we would be in Orlando and then said if they could get us a two bedroom suite for 3 full nights for basically free, as long as we agreed to go on a time share tour, would we be interested. I thought about it for less then a second and said "Yes!!!."

After flying cross country from Northern Ca, to Orlando for 7 hours, then spending another hour waiting for our rental car we could have slept on the concrete for all we cared, but thankfully Hilton had other ideas. As we pulled up to the guard station, he already had all of our parking passes ready and pointed us to the reception desk. When I checked in I asked the gentleman at the desk if they had already placed the rollaway bed in the suite...he looked a little confused and said "Ma'am we haven't had rollaway's for a few years now" I instantly thought "oh great here we go." I explained to him that the gentleman who called assured me that you would have a rollaway for our sons to sleep on. he then asked how many of us were there. I explained 7...3 adults and 4 kids. He told me the room that we had was what they called a 1/studio. Another words it was a full one bedroom with an attached studio. The bedroom would sleep 2 in the king, and in the studio 2 can sleep on the pull out and 1 or 2 in the queen bed. He then offered that they could bring a mattress from one of the other fold out sofas and put it on the ground for my son. I was happy with that so as we were finishing up all the paperwork, when this other gentleman came over and punched something into the computer and said "give this to them please." They had a full two bedroom with 1 king, 2 fulls and a queen pull out sofa bed that they had on hold for someone, but they had canceled at the last minute. So yippee skippy we are on our way to our room.

We were in tower 2 on the 5th floor. The bellman brought ALLLLL of our bags up..poor guy, thankfully hubby tipped him well. The suite was AWESOME. A full kitchen fully stocked with plates, silverware, coffee maker, pots and pans, etc... beyond the kitchen was a dinning/living room, which was very large. with a dinning room table that could seat 6, and the living room had a desk/chair, large sofa, 2 overstuffed chairs/ottomans. Directly off of the living room was the fully screened in lanai with a patio set that could seat 4, ceiling fan and light. The lanai was also accessible from the mater bedroom as well. Off to the left of the kitchen was a hallway with a stackable washer and dryer..which came in handy several times. The second bedroom with a full walk in closet, 2 queen beds, a very large dresser, and large flat screen tv. across from the laundry area was a full bathroom, with a tub/'shower combo and your standard toilet, sink etc... across from the bathroom was the master bedroom. As you opened the door you were greeted with a MASSIVE Jacuzzi tub that could have easily have held 4 adults, or several children. There was a super comfy king size bed, with two night stands a chair, a smaller walk in closet with an in room safe. There was also the bathroom with an amazing walk in rain shower. The shower was also MASSIVELY large and could have held 4 or 5 adults.

As you can guess we were VERY tired from all the traveling and did not feel like going out to get something to eat. We found a pizza hut magnet on the refrigerator, and found out they were onsite and would deliver to your room. So hubby called and ordered pizza while myself and brother in law went across the street to Publix grocery store to pick up some basic supplies. When we returned, hubby had taken all the kids swimming and to see the outdoor/pool side movie. Two days a week they show family movies on a huge blow up screen in the pool area. After swimming and pizza we all fell into bed. The next morning came VERY early for hubby and I. We had agreed to go on the tour and they had reserved our time to be 8:15 AM...which for us is 5:00AM. We went on a non stressful tour, watched the informational video and was asked several times if we were interested in purchasing. After the 1 1/2 hour tour we went back to the room and met up with the rest of the family. We found out from the front desk that the property backs up to the huge Orlando Factory Outlet Stores, and we simply had to walk across this wooden bridge to the back gate, use our room key and walk across the street to the outlets. Our wallets wish they would have never told us this "secret."

The pool area is very large with the pool its self looking like the Olympic rings with a gorgeous waterfall that resembles the Olympic cauldron. There is a small cafe/deli pool side and several bars, and during certain times of the day there is a young lady that will do hair braiding and air brush tattoos. There is also a small gift shop. There are 7 towers that all encase a very large manmade lake. The grounds are landscaped very nicely with many palm trees. There was also several screened in basketball courts that we personally didn't not use, but saw several folks enjoying them.

The final morning came quickly and with a 10AM check out time [YIKES} we were off to enjoy the rest of our vacation. We could have easily spent an entire week at HGVC, and might in the future. One downside, besides the early checkout is they offered no shuttles to any of the surrounding tourist areas. And the overly priced deli items via poolside, but I guess that is to be expected. I only wish we would have arranged to stay here for the 2 nights after our Cruise, but that is another report.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Ma
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We went to this resort after being offered a vacation package through Hilton Hotels. We were expected to go to a 2 hour timeshare presentaton which we did. We really did not feel pressured by the sales rep who worked with us. We love Hilton properties and would consider purchasing with them if we had the money. However, with 2 kids in college our priorities are elsewhere for the next few years. Overall, we loved the resort. The grounds were beautiful. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our one bedroom king suite was all that one could ask for on vacation. It was spacious and had all the amenities you would want. Definitely would highly recommend it to vacationers going to Orlando. Definitely beats staying in a one room hotel room!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We stayed at this HGVC on one of their "previews" or timeshare presentations. The resort is pretty new and decorated in a nice Tucson style. It's also quite large-surrounds a little lake and has two nice pools. All the rooms (even the "studios") include a kitchenette which was nice because there is a Publix grocery across the street to stock up on whatever you need. Due to the proximity to Disney and the other theme parks there were a lot of kids-even in late September. They serve food at the bar & have a Pizza Hut Express but that's about it-there aren't a whole lot of choices in walking distance but there are some transportation options that aren't too badly priced. Overall it was okay-the staff was very good, definitely above average, the accommodations were nice. A perfect place to stay if visiting local attractions, but wouldn't be our first choice for a relaxing get away that we planned to spend poolside.

The sales presentation was high pressure, but that was to be expected. Just know you'll be spending half the day with a salesperson if you opt to go this route--not the 1.5-2 hours they 'estimate.' It was still a good value for what we paid.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank minnow1982
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Just got back from here and found the place wonderful.

We had a one bedroom apartment in building four which was beautiful. It was quite a way from the main pool and reception, which whilst it made it a little walk, it was away from the noise and music at the main pool. However, we were almost right next door to the secondary pool which is a much quieter, albeit smaller, place.

For food, there is a pizza hut on the site, and well as Hiltons own grills at each of the pools. The food at the grills was generally very good, though the menus were perhaps a little limited. There is also a deli on site, and since our place had a kitchen, that was also useful. Wireless internet was free and also rather quick. A pleasent surprise.

The hotel buildings are set around a small lake, which has turtles and fish swimming in it. There is an on site gym, though I did not use it. There is a free computer for printing boarding passes, though it did not seem to work for my BA flight.

In the immediete area there is a retail outlet park right next door, and Hilton guests can access it through a private gate. An easy way to spend money on designer labels! There is also a supermarket in the other direction and a few restaurants. Theme parks Disney, Universal and Seaworld are all fairly close. The hotel has three shuttles a day each way at the cost of $6 per person.

The staff are friendly and helpful, although the shuttle bus firm they use for transport to the parks are a little unfriendly.

Generally I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Arlington
Reviewed August 29, 2009

When we first caught sight of our hotel, a beautiful water feature welcomed us. The staff were kind and we had no problems while checking into our rooms. When we got there, our bags were waiting for us, like they should have been, and our room was in order. Since a member of my family was getting married, we rented one of the glorious ballrooms and had a fantastic wedding with beautiful decor and amazing food. The beds were comfortable and clean and the room service was quick and very tasty. Overall, my family and I had a great stay and are staying there next year.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank dangerouslyfluffy
Seattle
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Hotel was great. At first I was a little disappointed in the location of our room because it was across the lake (building 6) but afterwards taking the stroll across the bridge every night I learned to love the peace and quite we had since we were not close to the pool where you could hear people swimming and playing at night, it was a nice relief on the ears. The hotel offers a movie night and the kids loved it and it was something to do other then stay in the hotel room. They could swim in the pool while watching a Disney movie. The food was fantastic and we ate a couple of times at the bar. The only down fall I could see was the kids would jump backwards off the pool under the waterfall and one night a boy cracked his head open and the pool was closed for two plus hours while they cleaned up the mess. This could have been avoided had there been someone from the hotel telling him to stop. Unfortunately there are no lifeguards on duty at the hotel, parents please watch your children... The mall next door is great if your looking for some shopping fun and they have a food court. Pizza Hut is in the hotel and they deliver... Plus on that note.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This was our third year visiting; we purchased last year and at that point, it was all smiles, and wonderful service and little perks. This year...not so much. Bait and switch? Don't get me wrong--it's a beautiful resort--but there's a part of me that wonders about this ownership thing. First, we discovered after our first day that housekeeping DOES NOT come every day to owner rooms. Didn't know that. We did have to call them because our jacuzzi side panel was exposed and they (sort of) fixed it. We figured since we bought last year that we'd have a year off from a sales pitch--wrong. While in truthfullness, they did offer us a decent enough deal on Disney tickets to make it worth our while to listen to a pitch--I wasn't expecting as much pressure as we got. We agreed to listen to get the substantial ticket discount (they do make you pre-authorize for the balance in order to bill you if you don't show)--and we were clear up front we'd listen but we weren't in a position to buy. Told our sales rep the same thing--we were VERY up front--especially since he sold to us last year. While I know his job is to make us sell--making us feel like our several thousand dollar committment that we made last year was "nothing" was very upsetting---even though we said, "we're being impacted by the economy"--his answer was repeatedly "so, you still want to vacation right?" When, after two hours, we said, "no, not this year, " he left us with a major pout. After that, we were feeling rather regretful that we even bought at all last year. Now, back to the hotel. The last night there, we decided to not go out for dinner and instead let our kids swim while we ate poolside. I'm really fussy about pool side eating--like to not have my food splashed so I go back a bit--but since it was too dark by the area our kids were (dive in moving night), we opted to sit at a table that allowed us to see our kids. My husband let the one and only waiter know we needed a light and we needed a menu. We sat there for at least 20 minutes while people who came in AFTER us got lights and menus. I went up to the waiter (at this point seething), and he told me he'd give me one if one was free. To his credit, he did find one shortly after and did take our order a bit later (he was accomodating about some switches), but service was slower than I expected. In fact, we were the only one of three who actually bought food from the grill--everyone else had take out from either Pizza Hut (on site) or somewhere else. So despite the busy look, we were the real customers there. hmmph. Anyway--after a while, the initial aggravation went away and we were settled nicely with light and food while the kids swam. We kept an eye on our kids who enjoyed the movie while we ate. I will say the Dive-In movie is a nice touch. And there is another pool if you don't want to watch it. Now, to our final morning. We got up early because someone was banging around and making a ton of noise (construction on Building 3 maybe?) Well--we got up, decided to pack, then took a break for a leisurely breakfast on the terrace (well, we did---the door to our kids' room's patio was not operating properly). My husband and I were enjoying our coffee when the bell rang---I went to the door where a housekeeper brusquely asked "when you leave?" I told her check out was 10 and we'd be leaving then (it was just after 9 then). We literally took until 10 at that point, just to make it clear we weren't budging until it was time to go.
Overall--it wasn't a bad experience. But I would say that the initial thrill and shine has gone now that we're "off the charts" owners--meaning we really don't even qualify since our point level isn't where they want it to be. Wish I knew that before....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family