“Pouty sales rep--even though we "own"”

Hilton Grand Vacations at Tuscany Village
Ranked #35 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This was our third year visiting; we purchased last year and at that point, it was all smiles, and wonderful service and little perks. This year...not so much. Bait and switch? Don't get me wrong--it's a beautiful resort--but there's a part of me that wonders about this ownership thing. First, we discovered after our first day that housekeeping DOES NOT come every day to owner rooms. Didn't know that. We did have to call them because our jacuzzi side panel was exposed and they (sort of) fixed it. We figured since we bought last year that we'd have a year off from a sales pitch--wrong. While in truthfullness, they did offer us a decent enough deal on Disney tickets to make it worth our while to listen to a pitch--I wasn't expecting as much pressure as we got. We agreed to listen to get the substantial ticket discount (they do make you pre-authorize for the balance in order to bill you if you don't show)--and we were clear up front we'd listen but we weren't in a position to buy. Told our sales rep the same thing--we were VERY up front--especially since he sold to us last year. While I know his job is to make us sell--making us feel like our several thousand dollar committment that we made last year was "nothing" was very upsetting---even though we said, "we're being impacted by the economy"--his answer was repeatedly "so, you still want to vacation right?" When, after two hours, we said, "no, not this year, " he left us with a major pout. After that, we were feeling rather regretful that we even bought at all last year. Now, back to the hotel. The last night there, we decided to not go out for dinner and instead let our kids swim while we ate poolside. I'm really fussy about pool side eating--like to not have my food splashed so I go back a bit--but since it was too dark by the area our kids were (dive in moving night), we opted to sit at a table that allowed us to see our kids. My husband let the one and only waiter know we needed a light and we needed a menu. We sat there for at least 20 minutes while people who came in AFTER us got lights and menus. I went up to the waiter (at this point seething), and he told me he'd give me one if one was free. To his credit, he did find one shortly after and did take our order a bit later (he was accomodating about some switches), but service was slower than I expected. In fact, we were the only one of three who actually bought food from the grill--everyone else had take out from either Pizza Hut (on site) or somewhere else. So despite the busy look, we were the real customers there. hmmph. Anyway--after a while, the initial aggravation went away and we were settled nicely with light and food while the kids swam. We kept an eye on our kids who enjoyed the movie while we ate. I will say the Dive-In movie is a nice touch. And there is another pool if you don't want to watch it. Now, to our final morning. We got up early because someone was banging around and making a ton of noise (construction on Building 3 maybe?) Well--we got up, decided to pack, then took a break for a leisurely breakfast on the terrace (well, we did---the door to our kids' room's patio was not operating properly). My husband and I were enjoying our coffee when the bell rang---I went to the door where a housekeeper brusquely asked "when you leave?" I told her check out was 10 and we'd be leaving then (it was just after 9 then). We literally took until 10 at that point, just to make it clear we weren't budging until it was time to go.
Overall--it wasn't a bad experience. But I would say that the initial thrill and shine has gone now that we're "off the charts" owners--meaning we really don't even qualify since our point level isn't where they want it to be. Wish I knew that before....

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Col40
Write a ReviewReviews (4,900)

Reviewed August 18, 2009

This is a great Hilton resort with all the extras you expect and more. The fact that it is adjacent to the Premium Prime Outlets off International and Vineland is attractive. The fact that the rooms are villas with plenty of space to spread out and relax is comfortable and inviting to stay longer. The kitchen is fully equipped right down to salt and pepper shakers. The towels, soaps, and bath extras were generous and the suite was spotless, all added to the plush pampering. We had a one-bedroom villa with a king bed, whirlpool (just like the hotel's website pictures), a queen sleeper sofa, a screened in balcony with a ceiling fan/light that had a patio table with seating for 4.

The staff is a team of professionals who continue to earn their positons. From the parking attendant when we arrived to the departure front desk staff, these are the best in their fields. Friendly, efficient, and observant and yet, they are not intrusive. There is a massage staff, photographer, activity center, and several staff waiting to serve you.

Even more impressive to us was the safety we felt in the evenings. The security staff is excellent with patrols watching and caring for you and your vehicles. Parking can get tight, but there are sufficient spots on the property, it might not be near your building. However, with the frequent security golf carts stopping to ask you if you would like a ride back to your room, no need to worry about exercising, unless you want to. Not one Hilton staff was rude or cold, whether on duty or not, these are people who like their jobs and it shows.

There even a preview center filled with over 125 salespeople who greet you and may try to soft sell you but are not overbarring or rude. The rest of the amenities are on the web, 2 pools, 2 fitness centers, etc...Near Sea World, a car ride from Universal, or Disney, this is the best kept secret in Orlando. We can not wait to go back.

The only recommendations we could make would be to add a full length mirror to the rooms, helps to see your complete outfit and if you are visually impaired, like I am, a mirror to get closer while putting on my contacts is very helpful. My husband also suggested a over-the-shower bottle holder for there really is no place to place the shampoo/conditioner bottles within the standing shower.

2  Thank scbleo
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I have just returned from a week long stay at the Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs on International Drive. My husband and I reserved the one bedroom suite, while another couple traveling with us reserved the studio room. This hotel was wonderful! The one bedroom suite was clean and had modern furnishings and a very comfortable bed. I agree with other posters, who stated that the parking at night was a little inconvenient, however it was no different than parking at Disney. We only had to park a short distance from our building (Building 6) and each night there was employees providing rides via a golf cart. Security was very visible via their segway transportation devices. Check in was easy and I only received one call from the front desk requesting our participation in the Time Share Presentation. My husband declined and we did not receive any other calls. The resort is well maintained and there is a Pizza Hut Express on site. Unlike many resorts in the area this one does not charge a daily resort fee. The location was perfect as there was a Publix Grocery Store, Outback Steakhouse, and 24-hour Walgreens located across the street. There was easy access to the Premium Outlets next door. The entrance to Disney was less than four miles from the resort. I would definitely recommend this resort to couples as well as families. The staff was superb and I am already trying to reserve a room for January 2010. I would recommend that you request a room on the top floor with a lake view. The only downside was the heavy slamming doors.

2  Thank Love2Travel1974
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The hardest part of leaving florida was leaving the resort. The suite we stayed in had every modern luxury anyone could ever need: fridge, stove, microwave, 2 tv's, king size bed, whirlpool tub, him/hers sinks, washer/dryer. The hotel has activities planned every single day of the week. So even if you can't go anywhere else for any reason, they have you covered. We had a gorgeous view of the lake, fountain, and laguna pool from our very suite balcony. There were no bothersome phone calls from any of the staff like some other reviewers complain about. We did participate in a wine tasting night. it was 25$ per couple and you went home with a bottle of wine of your choosing. The pool are always warm and just deep enough that kids can still get in and not be in too much danger. The hotel is the perfect distance from all of the theme parks (excluding busch gardens in tampa). There are shuttles to take you to the park if you so choose. I did all the driving while we were there. You also have instant access to the Orlando Premium outlets thru a back gate in the hotel, and trust me... there is every store you could imagine.

If there is any one tip i could give anyone it would be to remember there is a supermarket, liquor store, subway, and mcdonalds across the street if you want to buy some regular food. On the other hand, who wants regular food when you're on vacation? Enjoy!

1  Thank McQueen81
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Right from the start, we knew we had made the correct choice. Our 2 bedroom unit was just beautiful. Had all the comforts of home plus a great view! Pools were clean and the movie by the main pool was wonderful for my friends 9 yr old. Pools are not deep, between 3 and 4 feet at the main pool, and the other pool was from 1 foot to 4 feet 6 inches. Perfect for children and parents. Main pool had a poolside bar and restaurant. Very nice and not too expensive. Staff were very helpful. Resort has a shuttle to parks, for a fee, and taxi service is available as well. Publix is across the street along with many restaurants. Would I stay here again, YES!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank bappo
Reviewed July 20, 2009

We visited this property as part of of an offer from Hilton Grand Vacations to see the location and spend a few days in Orlando. In turn, we had to spend 2+ hours in a sales session about the property. We quite enjoyed the property (though did not buy), and spending time at the resort, which has a Tuscan theme. Keep in mind, though, that this is a very family focused vacation spot, so do not expect a very peaceful, relaxing trip here.

Our room was a 1 bedroom unit on the ground floor of one of the many buildings; it had a full kitchen (full size fridge, stove/oven, microwave, dishwasher, blender) with all of the typical kitchen utensils, plates and cups. There was a dining room table and a living room with flat screen TV and Bose 3-2-1 DVD/CD system. We had an outdoor screened in patio with table/chairs and a ceiling fan that opened both to the bedroom and living room. The bedroom was comfortable, a smaller flat screen TV and another ceiling fan. There was also a fun jacuzzi tub in the bedroom big enough for two. The bathroom was typical with a comfortable shower and Hilton amenities (soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion).

We made use of one of the three gas grills on the property for dinner one night (great Publix grocery store right across the street) which had a tent over it and table/chairs. It was relaxing to sit outside and make/eat our meal. The used both pools on the property -- the one near the front of the resort was much busier/loud than the other, but neither was a true 'quiet pool' since there were children all over. The larger pool had a full bar and food service which was enjoyed -- we had the wings that tasted pretty good. There is a Pizza Hut on property, as well as a convenient deli/store. There are tons of restaurants nearby, and you are in walking distance to the Orlando Premium Outlets if you need a shopping break.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BoysInNY
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We purchased a 2 bedroom (5,000 pt) unit last year and despite being there during Tropical Storm Faye, we managed to enjoy ourselves immensely. Which is why we bought it, obviously. Everything was wonderful.
We returned this year with much anticipation for a 10 night visit, and were promised accomidations very much like what we had the year before (building 4, facing the smaller pool and lake), as per our specific request. We were put in Building 5, which is without a doubt the worst building they have. And not only was it the worst building, it was the worst room: it had a view of the Premium Outlet parking lot. We could hear nothing but road noise, breathe in nothing but auto fumes. We called to complain and were told the only room available was in Building 3 overlooking the lake, but that the air wasn't working, and we would just have to wait until it was repaired, when ever that was---probably tomorrow. So I unpacked. Less then an hour later, they called to tell us the room was available for us if we wanted, so we moved. It was steaming hot. We waited another hour. It got hotter. We complained again. This time we were moved to the top floor (the best view), and everything seemed OK. Housekeeping was scarce, definitely. When you ask for more detergent, its like prying coins from the ferry man.
The pools are busy, but fun for the kids. The main pool has a bar and grille, but its pricey like everything else in Orlando. There's hair-wrapping and tattoos, homemade icecream, and free ice pops. They offer social activities like karyoke night, dive-in movies ,and music. They also organize stuff for the kids, but I found the staff somewhat unfriendly. The biggest problem is that there is no lifeguard on duty. The rules are not enforced. Other children were jumping into the pool on top of my kids, and were first asked not to do it, then told to stop because it was unsafe, ran to tell their mother. A very low-brow confrontation ensued, with the children crying theatrically and me being cursed at by their heavily tattoed mother and grandmother. Security did nothing for us. It spoiled our stay somewhat.
What really put the kabash on it was the stultifying and oppressive checkout time: 10AM. And they mean it. We called to ask for more time that morning (they tell you late check out is available when you check in), and at first they refused, they had the room booked. We said we only need till 12. After haggling for 10 minutes they finally said we could have until 11. So while we waited for the clothes to dry, we swam for 20 minutes. I swear they were watching us. When we returned at 10:45, they called at 11:05 to see if house keeping could come in, afterwhich she knocked 3 more times, and had management call again at 11:45. We were more than a little pissed at the shove out given their extremely late check in time (4PM), but just ignored them.
I know if we had purchased more points we probably wouldn't have been treated that way. Not so sure we'll stay here again, and if so it would not be without stipulations.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family