“Not as good as it used to be :(”
Review of Portobello - CLOSED

Portobello
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The menu at Portobello was born in the bounty and harvest of the Italian countryside. Celebrating the simplest flavors of Italy; crusty breads, sun-ripened tomatoes, house-cured meats, freshly caught fish, fruity olive oils and sharp, pungent cheeses.
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We returned to Portobello to give them another chance after a not so good experience in January. Our family arrived at 5:15 for our reservation. At 5:45PM they were still searching for the wine we ordered and then sent another waiter over to our table with the "bottle". It was not the Cabernet - but rather a Merlot from the same vineyard. We pointed that out to this new waiter and he said he'd be right back with the correct bottle. At 6PM he came over to apologize that they were out of the wine. At this point we requested that our waitress come back to take our orders as our 2 year old grandson was hungry. She did that but the waiter came back with the wine menu again saying he would "upgrade" the wine and we just needed to select another bottle. My husband selected a Sonoma Cabernet (which was $1 more) and there was a discussion as to which Sonoma he wanted - the Cab or the Coastal. He told the waiter he did not want the Coastal as none of us cared for that. Lo and behold the waiter came over, opened the wine and started pouring without showing us the label and - you guessed it - it was the Coastal! When we pointed that out to him he said he would get the manager. Dinner continued with no manager in sight. We left there feeling as if the service has definitely changed over the years to the point of it being non-existent now.

Reviewed November 2, 2009

The event planning staff was stellar; they certainly went the extra mile when helping me to plan my marriage proposal dinner. Everything went very smoothly from start to finish. We were seated on the front patio, perfect for people-watching and enjoying the breezy sunset. As the sky darkened, strings of lights lit the patio from overhead. The appetizers are amazing. As garlic lovers, the roasted garlic they provided as a spread for the bread was to die for. The waitress was very upbeat, attentive and informative; her personality certainly helped us to be at ease. Her suggestions were all impeccable. The chef made everything perfectly palatable. A live band played on a stage near the patio in front of the restaurant, adding to the ambiance. Romantic conversation ensued quite naturally and the proposal went off without a hitch. No sooner had I finished proposing and she accepted, then the band, playing "That's Amore" and made their way from the stage toward our table. The management had helped me organize a private serenade. The waitress brought us champagne and we continued our blissful dining experience in what seemed like solitude. Portobello’s romantic atmosphere left us blissfully unaware of the bustling passers-by. The entire staff seemed to be working to make our evening nothing short of magical.

Reviewed August 6, 2009

We went to the Portobello Yacht Club after one of the tourist books recommended it as a "fairly priced Italian with fantastic food on offer"... it was neither. Firstly we made a reservation for 8.30pm we arrived promptly and had to queue up outside, my daughter went to the desk and told the staff that we had a reservation but was told to line up with the rest! When we eventually reached the front we were asked to go to the bar whilst our table was prepared. All five of us sat at the bar and basically felt invisible, one of the bar staff said you will get served but not at the moment! It was very chaotic, food flying out of the kitchen, cocktails being made etc. I was quite exhausted watching it all. After a one hour wait we were shown to our table! So much for making a reservation! At a first glance at the menu the only thing that jumped back at you were the large prices. When our food eventually arrived we all looked at each other and thought "is that it", my pizza resembled cheese on toast, bland and boring! My younger daughter ordered Tiger Shrimp however, the wrong dish arrived so the waiter quite rudely said to one of his colleagues "sort it", the rest of us had nearly finished our meal when hers did eventually arrive (we had to remind the waiter who seemed to spend more time at the adjoining table chatting away than keeping his eye on the rest of his guests). We had to ask another member of staff for the bill unfortunately he didn't quite understand me and brought me five clean plates much to our amusement! We did however manage to tear our waiter away from the adjoining table got the bill paid and left never to return again! Overpriced and definitely overrated.

Reviewed June 16, 2009

I went to this restaurant with my friend and her mother for her mother's birthday while we were vacationing in Disney World. I did a little research on the restaurant and made reservations ahead of time. We got there about 15 minutes early and were pleased to find they could accomodate us, as we were starving! The server seemed friendly and helpful, helping my friends to select a wine to their tasting - a sweet sparkling red called Rosa Regale. I chose a cabernet sauvignon I believe. A woman brought out the half bottle of Rosa Regale that my friends ordered, opened it, and poured them glasses. I, however, waited about 10 minutes, then finally tracked down our server to tell him I had never received my glass of wine. Five minutes later it was brought to me. I was not happy with that at all - not to mention it was stupid of them on their part b/c had I received my wine directly after ordering it, I would've probably ordered another. But b/c I had to wait so long, I barely had time to finish the one glass I had by the end of the meal. The bread, olive oil, and olives were delicious - especially the olives! Some of the best olives I have ever had. The server was helpful when ordering my meal, as I am a vegetarian. He suggested the Farfalle, substituting portobello mushrooms for the chicken and it was delicious! My friend ordered the ravioli (which were HUGE) and she loved it, and her mother ordered the special which was jumbo shrimp over potatoes, and she really enjoyed it. Our dinner was absolutely delicious.

The "dispute" came with dessert. We ordered the tiramisu to share b/c we were so full from dinner. When the server brought it to the table, he set it down and said, "I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you that this comes with a shot of chocolate to drizzle on the top. Would you prefer white or dark?" We chose dark. He took the dessert away, and brought it back with the shot, and walked away before we realized he had brought us the white "chocolate," not dark like we requested. We just said "oh well," and poured some of it on the tiramisu. We ate some, then poured a little more, and noticed it wasn't "chocolate" at all, it was white chocolate liqueur. None of us liked it with the extra poured on top so we stopped eating it. The server never told us it was a liqueur, he specifically said "a shot of chocolate." Then when we got the check, we noticed we had been charged an additional $8 for that shot of liqueur, on top of the price of the dessert! We were outraged. The server specifically said that the dessert came with it. He did not ask us if we'd like to have a shot of this liqueur at an additional charge of $8. We were comepletely mislead and lied to. We had already spent well over $160 on our meal, so what was the need to lie to us to weasel out another $8?! We just did not expect that type of service from a restaurant at Disney. Because it was our last night and my friend's mother's birthday, we didn't say anything to anyone. Just paid the bill. left him exactly 20% and not a penny more, and left. It definitely left a sour taste in our mouth on our last night of vacation.

Reviewed May 31, 2009

Service was excellent. Food was absolutely disappointing- mediocre at best. Quality of food was not appropriate for the pricing. Won't go back, and wouldn't recommend.