“What a disappointment”
Review of Portobello - CLOSED

Portobello
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Description: The menu at Portobello was born in the bounty and harvest of the Italian countryside. Celebrating the simplest flavors of Italy; crusty breads, sun-ripened tomatoes, house-cured meats, freshly caught fish, fruity olive oils and sharp, pungent cheeses.
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This place has really gone downhill. I have eaten here several times since the early 2000's and I never had such a bad experience. We had a reservation and were seated within about 10 min, no biggie. It took about 10 more min for the waiter to appear and this was unusual because the place didn't look busy. We ordered a bottle of white wine only to be told 10 min later that there were no chilled bottles left. We asked for something equivalent and received it at the same price. The food was extremely lackluster.The appetizers were ok, but my wife's rice balls tasted like upscale Sysco mozzarella sticks. My pork chop was ok but my wife's black fettuccine with shrimp was a total embarrassment, this after being recommended by the waiter. The shrimp were those popcorn size things and I can't believe a restaurant of this caliber would even consider serving that crap. It was bland and inedible so I ended up giving her half of my chop. In the waiter's defense he did try to make amends by offering to bring her something else, but at that point we just wanted it to end. My dessert of coffee ice cream was served in a chilled metal bowl and ended up looking like dog poop. It tasted good and we got quite a laugh. We dined here last summer and remember it being pretty good. All in all, our most anticipated dinner of the week ended up being the worst, by some distance. Won't be back.

1 Thank Mark M

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Boise, Idaho
“Decent Italian food in Disney junk food land”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went with business colleagues and were surprised to find a reasonable Italian food restaurant in the area saturated with the worst food outfits that Disney world is famous for. We could not find anything with good rating on trip advisor.
Anyway I recommend black fettuccine with shrimp. My friends enjoyed their pasta. For the first time I had eggplant fries. Tastes good. Service was friendly. We paid a bit over 150 for for people counting a 40 dollar bottle of wine- not bad.
Good place to visit

Barnoldswick, Lancashire
“A real let down!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Used a table service under Disney dining plan and was the worst meal all holiday. A real disappointment as the restaurant is in a lovely location of Downtown Disney. Tables were covered with a paper cloth-very basic indeed! The manager just seemed to stand around talking or chilling with the staff. There were loads of staff but not on the ball like the other Disney restaurants. They seemed to be oblivious including the main man (a manager perhaps?). Needs a real shake up-they ought to go to one of Disney's other restaurants or Planet Hollywood and find out what good service means!!!! This place should be buzzing with it's location and it wasn't-that's tells a story I think! The portions were very small. A pizza only filled y 11 year old-heaven help if an adult ordered it. The steak came shrivelled up and lacked any detail on the plate-we had to send it back it was so bad!

So basically don't waist your meal here. There are so many restaurant to use in Disney. All are better. I think who ever is running the floor ion this needs a big wake up call!!!! A manager isn't one of the in crowd-he sets an example!!! Wake up Portobello!

• Visited October 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Better go get fast food”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We went to Portobello and the wait was "between 30 and 40 minutes", Downtown Disney was really full so we decided to wait. They were supposed to send us a text message when our table was ready. 40 minutes went by, 50 minutes went by and nothing. My husband decided to go talk to the hostess and she told him that our table had been ready for a while (we received no text message!). We were seated and then the second round of waiting started, another 15 minutes to get someone to offer water! The restaurant was crowded and extremely noisy. The table next to us was maybe 3 inches apart so we basically were eating together. The food is nothing special. The service was horrible. The worst dining experience I had in Disney.

East Tennessee
“So so food.”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We really enjoyed the calamari appetizer so we were really looking forward to the main courses. Unfortunately we were disappointed. Food tasted fairly bland with not much flavor. Seemed more like food from a quick serve restaurant like Olive Garden or some place like that instead of a high end restaurant. The waiter seemed confused by some our questions about how the food was cooked and the ingredients in it. We will try somewhere else next time we are there.