“Typical Disney Restaurant”
Review of Portobello - CLOSED

Portobello
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Description: The menu at Portobello was born in the bounty and harvest of the Italian countryside. Celebrating the simplest flavors of Italy; crusty breads, sun-ripened tomatoes, house-cured meats, freshly caught fish, fruity olive oils and sharp, pungent cheeses.
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Typical Disney Restaurant”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to Portobello's early on a Sunday evening. We had a reservation, but it didn't seem necessary. There were plenty of empty tables, although the place did fill up later.

This is a typical Disney restaurant: pricey, OK food, excellent service by relentlessly cheerful staff.

Biggest annoyance: young girls with iPads asking exiting customers to answer "a few" questions about their dining experience. One page of questions led to another and another. When the questions got to age, name and phone number (!!?!!), I left without completing the survey.

This is not a bad place. I might possibly return.

• Visited February 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Little Rock, Arkansas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average food”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very busy and very loud. The food was average. We want go there again. The tables were really close together.

Columbia, South Carolina
“Wonderful Italian Food”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Wonderful food and service!! We had reservations and were seated riight away. Our party of 6 ordered several different selections from pizza to ravioli to lasagna. All were wonderful! We were very impressed that one of the Chefs visited our table due to one person in our party having a food allergy. Great family time for our family of 23 yrs old and above. The only bad thing was trying to find a parking place in Downtown Disney.

• Visited February 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“High Cost BUT Great Food”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Is Portobello expensive for vacation costs, yes but it's also great food. Going to Walt Disney World for vacation, you already know nothing is cheap. Vacations can't always be on a budget, and if you're going to eat out the food will cost you. Portobello has one of the best menus, and unless you've made reservations months out, it may be one of your few reasonable options. We arrived on a Sunday evening and headed for Disney Downtown after check-in. After looking at numerous display menus along Disney Downtown, Portobello looked the best and costs were reasonable for vacation. My wife and I ordered the mozzarella rice stuffed meatballs, lasagna, spaghetti with meatballs, and espresso cake. The addition of two drinks a piece, and total with tip was a tad higher then what you may pay for at a chain steak house not on WDW grounds.

Drinks, food and of course dessert were amazing. When we checked in with the hostess, our wait time was 20-30 minutes. We were directed to the bar to wait, and within two minutes of sitting down we were paged that our table was ready. Customer service was great, and watching servers and hosts translate for one another was impressive. The diversity of culture didn't stop anyone from assisting, and our waitress gave honest opinions when we asked regarding the menu. I rate Portobello "excellent" for its location, and costs on the grounds of Walt Disney World. If Portobello were off site, I would still say value and costs are "very good."

1 Thank goose3nbc
Toronto, Canada
“"Italian" food?”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The good things first: the restaurant is located in the very nice "Downtown Disney", it’s clean and nicely furnished. The waiters are quick and kind, the prices are reasonable.
Having said that, I have to add a big disappointment about the food. My appetizer was supposed to be prosciutto and “crostini” (small bread toasts with different kind of toppings) “Italian style”. The prosciutto, instead of being served as nice flat slices, was horribly shrunk together like a tangle, something I never saw in my entire life. The taste wasn’t better than the presentation. Being Italian I have a pretty good knowledge of what quality is when it comes to prosciutto and I know that it is difficult to find top quality products in North America, but still it’s possible, for a restaurant, to buy prosciutto of decent quality. This was not the case. The “crostini” were also very far from the Italian tradition. I would suggest the chef to take a trip to Tuscany to check what a “prosciutto con crostini” really means. Then I ordered fish with potatoes. The fish was okay, not great but just ok. The potatoes were hard, not correctly cooked. My wife ordered a pizza, which was the worse experience of all. It was small, tasteless and above all, the dough was half-raw.
Again, I am realistic, I don’t expect to find a perfect Neapolitan pizza in Downtown Disney, Orlando, FL, but that one way too far from what an acceptable pizza should be. If you have even a vague idea of what Italian food really should be, stay away from this place because your disappointment will be huge.