“Good Korean in a not so good neighborhood” 4 of 5 bubbles

Shin Jung
Ranked #675 of 3,745 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Asian, Korean, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seoul, South Korea
“Good Korean in a not so good neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

The area where this restaurant is located might make one feel a bit scary but the food is good. It is not a localized thing but still authentic. I would recommend to make a reservation in advance because it has not so many tables. And if you would like to have BBQ on the table you should reserve a BBQ table.

• Visited May 2012

“The food is TO DIE for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

The food here is AMAZING. It has an authentic Korean cuisine, and a very friendly service. It's a little diamond in the rough. And I mean literally, the neighborhood around here looks shady and a bit dangerous. The actual restaurant is pretty small too.

My favorite item on the menu are the Korean pancakes. You could say its like an omelet, but it's not. (If that makes any sense).

Everything is a bit on the pricey side though ...

Nevertheless, I definitely recommend coming here!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Shirtisred
Princeton, New Jersey
“Excellent Korean Food in Orlando”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

We went to the restaurant while we were on vacation in Orlando for 8 days.

We ordered Korean Seafood Pancake, Tofu Pot and Kalbi. Everything was delicious.

We wanted to eat once more before we leave Orlando so we stopped by a couple hours before our flight and ate hot Bibimbap which was delicious again!

We will go back again when we visit Orlando next year.

Visited December 2011
Berkeley, California
“Average Korean food - a nice respite from fast food and theme park grease”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

In a nutshell, I was craving Korean food after a weeklong vacation in Florida, and Shin Jung happened to be close to the hotel (theme park area) and still open. I don’t know if it’s the best Korean restaurant in the Orlando area, but as a person visiting from California and growing tired of eating the typical vacation foods, this place managed to satisfy my craving for some rice, grilled meat, and spicy soup with an overall average dining experience. I think the place is fine if you’re visiting from out of town, but it will have you missing your favorite place from back home.

I placed my order with about 20 minutes to closing – plenty of time for me to get to the restaurant. I ordered the BBQ chicken and spicy soup, basic “can’t go wrong” items from the menu. The woman was very adamant about the fact that they were closing in 20 minutes…maybe they have a lot of flakes on the phone orders? She reminded me 5 separate times.

Due to some traffic, I arrived 5 minutes late – they called to make sure that I was still on my way. They were in the middle of cleaning the tables when I walked in…slight look of annoyance, followed by the look of relief that the customer didn’t flake on the order. I usually tip on my pickup orders, and she seemed surprised and appreciative of the gesture.

I got plenty of food for my money. The side items (banchan) were average to slightly less than average. The pickled vegetables didn’t do anything for me, so I hardly ate any of it. Perhaps it was because it was the last order of the night and they thought I was going to flake on the order, but the soup was subpar. It was spicy and had tofu, but the soup was totally watered down and lacked flavor. Compared to the other items, the chicken was actually tasty. A large mound of rice, strips of chicken, and an occasional spoonful of forgettable spicy soup…not exactly heaven but a good stopgap.

I don’t know if ordering so close to closing had anything to do with my experience, but Shin Jung left me a little unsatisfied in terms of taste despite it temporarily halting my Korean food craving. Sometimes, average is better than terrible, so I can actually recommend this place if you’re from out of town and looking for a Korean food fix because I’ve had worse. This place is not too far from being better than average by simply improving their banchan and soups.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank hj c
Orlando, Florida
“On a rustic sidestreet in Korea, smoke billows around...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

If someone were coming to Orlando and wanted to eat in an truly authentic restaurant with the most delicious grilled pork accompanied by funky side dishes, I would recommend Shin Jung. We sit at the tables with the grill in the center and we take turns flipping the grilling pork with the tongs. The accompaniments vary from visit to visit and are fun to try. The restaurant itself is a stand alone, older one story house which gives the place a unique, I'm-in-another-country atmosphere. If you don't look out the window and see Colonial Drive, you can easily imagine yourself down a side road near the village center somewhere in Korea, eating with the locals. Besides the pork, we order the kim-chee pancake which a spicy kind of omlette. Try the Korean beer, it's great with the grilled pork.

• Visited August 2011