“Amazing food but disappointing service”

Victoria & Albert's
Ranked #1 of 3,898 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Victoria & Albert's restaurant in Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa offers a unique dinner menu each night of exceptional, contemporary American cuisine served with unparalleled charm and elegance.A 13-year recipient of the prestigious AAA Five Diamond award, this Signature Dining restaurant serves fine cuisine with wine pairings from an award-winning cellar. The renowned, 6-course prix fixe menu is prepared artfully each day with ingredients culled fresh from the world market.Ambiance:Victoria & Albert's restaurant offers an intimate 2-hour to 2.5-hour dining experience amongst gentle harp strains and the sparkle of imported crystal in a Victorian dining room. Sit in the midst of romantic splendor in this establishment celebrated the world over for its exquisite culinary creations and transcendent atmosphere. Butler service, personalized menus and a long-stem rose for each lady are just a few of the touches that create an opulent, palate-pampering experience.Valet Parking is available at no additional cost. Children under the age 10 will not be served.
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I dined here about a week ago with the girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. We are both in our mid twenties and probably were not the average customer for the restaurant. Normally that results in being looked at funny for about half a second and everything is fine after that. V&A was not one of those restaurants.

When we first arrived, the hostess asked my girlfriend if she was cold and would like a shall. She politely declined, but the hostess asked again saying that the dining room was cold. Again, girlfriend politely declined. Finally, when we were seated, the hostess asked AGAIN. OK, we get it, you don't like the cut of her cocktail dress. It wasn't particularly revealing, and there was no cleavage apparent, but whatever. Girlfriend accepted, just to stop it, but was fairly well humiliated already.

When the waiter came and asked for our drink orders, we told him that we would just have the wine paring. He offered to bring us the champagne that would come with the amuse and we accepted. After walking away from the table, the waiter returned and asked to see ID. Normally, not a big deal. I question the necessity when you are spending 500 dollars on a meal, but that's not my call. The waiter then says he needs to see our IDs under "better light" and walks away with them and only returns after a few minutes. Now, I've worked as a bartender and know there are only a few things he could possibly have been doing, as the light was fine to read in the dining room. If V&A really needs to read the mag strip, check the ID with a black light, or anything else to assure that we are 21, I'm at a loss. No where else has this ever happened to me, so I was a bit miffed. He eventually returned, and all was well I thought.

When the waitress brought out our personalized menus, she congratulated us on our wedding anniversary - she had the wrong menus. She was flustered, apologized, and disappeared for a few minutes and eventually returned with the correct menus. As she explained the menu she seemed off and skimmed on several of the explanations. Maybe she was thrown off by the wrong menus, but given that waiters at Artist Pointe and Le Cellier were able to explain their menus with better detail and feeling I was disappointed.

We ordered different courses with the wine pairings and were in no way disappointed with the food. The amuses were all interesting, the starter courses delicate and complex, and all of the wine pairings were matched perfectly. I really enjoyed everything about the food and can say it is one of the best meals I have ever had.

That being said, I felt like an insider looking in. I don't mind the haughtiness of the restaurant, but I feel like instead of it being a part of a shared experience, it resulted in us feeling excluded and judged. This was something that I looked forward to for many months, but looking back now have decidedly mixed feelings on it. I don't mind paying the money for the food, but thought the service would reflect the price. It definitely didn't.

20  Thank risdis
Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I "dined" here for a special occasion. A generous friend took me. Someone was playing the harp. Our table was georgeous(special flowers for me) and the waiter fantastic. The food was incredible Dessert was amazing w/wonderful coffee. Yes, it is expensive. Yes it is worth it. Great for a special occasion.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

As the only diners in the place under 50 years old, we did not receive the same treatment as the other distinguished diners there. The food was not nearly as good as other reviewers describe, had much better dinner and service at the Chefs Tasting at the Flying Fish Cafe. Save your money. Snobby atmosphere, not treated well for the over $600 dollars we spent for 2 to dine there.

4  Thank vain578
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The first thing to get out of the way is that this is an expensive dinner. If that's not what you want, don't go here. I am a penny pincher but I like to splurge on occasion. Victoria and Albert’s was worth every dollar. The restaurant is elegant. My Fiancé and I dressed up to the nine's when we went and were greeted with excellent host and hostesses. They do all of the nice things that upscale restaurants do, push in your chairs and put napkins in your lap. If you leave the table, they will immediately remove your old napkin and give you a new one for your lap. The place settings were gorgeous and you get new and occasional nifty silverware for every course. They had a live harpist playing in the Restaurant which was just phenomenal to hear.

The food was delicious. You get at least 2 options for every course, some like the main course offer several more. There is also an entirely separate Vegetarian menu that you can order from if you like. They have an extensive wine menu and I highly recommend getting something from it. My personal favorite was the Moscato D'Asti. It was just so delicious and seemed to go with everything I ate. The attendants clearly explain all of your table’s food choices once they have arrived, detailing what each dish is made up of. In between some of your courses they will also bring you special bread and butters. We had black truffle bread that was amazing. We asked them to bring us another round of it and they did it without a second’s hesitation.

You have a choice of coffee or a wide selection of tea after the meal that is brewed in an interesting contraption. You can also ask for Hot Cocoa which is made the traditional way with melted chocolate and is delicious.

We spent about $420 for the two of us with a bottle of wine and I don't regret spending the money. It is an amazing experience.

All in all, it’s worth doing every few years if you're like me and only splurge on occasion. I'd recommend having everyone at your table choose a different dish so you can try a small sampling of each other’s. My fiancé and I did this so we got to try nearly everything and were still stuffed by the end of the meal.

4  Thank RNH82
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Yes, if you can afford it - it IS actually worth it!
After having surprised my husband with a little trip to Disney in Sept. for our 23rd Anniversary, topped with dinner at V & A's - when he asked me "What would you like to do for your Birthday?" in November, I did not hesitate for a second! Yes - it is very expensive - yes, I'm sure there are many much more important ways to spend your money... BUT - if you REALLY CAN AFFORD it - it is an experience like no other in FL.
Lots of delightful tiny portions - lovely wine pairings - gorgeous room - sweet sweet harpist - and COMFORT. Real - honest - to God - Comfort. Folks who actually CARE that you are happy, and that you are truly taken care of. Seriously - My husband is the kind of guy who does not like to try a "new" sauce on his meatloaf - and he LOVED it - and he really truly LOVED EVERYTHING - so this is saying A LOT!!! Everyone even remembered us from last time. You can even - for a change - actually hear each other, sweet talk each other - and more importantly - it'll even make you WANT to do that!
So, yes - make that reservation way ahead - go ahead and DRESS UP for each other - and for one evening just pretend you do not live in the land of tank tops, shorts and pick up trucks, and go have a night of REAL ROMANCE!

2  Thank NewHomeFinder