“They made us wait but they made it right”

Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #194 of 3,926 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Delight in traditional Italian cooking with contemporary flavors at Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano—a colorful, casual and family-friendly restaurant located in the heart of the backlot at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park. Here, you'll take in the sights of Mama's favorite Hollywood memories as you savor the sumptuous aromas and flavors of Italy.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This started poorly with the hostess telling us that we would need to wait 20 to 30 minutes for our reservation even though we were right on time. I had been a long day and none of us were in the mood for that sort of delay. When we got seated the servers worked their tails off to get us served and ensure that we were well taken care of. They hustled big time without any push from our group. On the upside, the food was very good. A number of people had the sirloin steak and all were very happy. All of the other meals were very good also. The manager apologized and provided a number of FastPass coupons for the group. Bad start but a good recovery.

1  Thank pmx2
Write a ReviewReviews (2,213)

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We had a large party with multiple food allergies, and the chef handled with ease, as we've come to expect from Disney restaurants! Non-allergic diners on our party loved their dinners, and gluten-free diners in our party had bread at the table and lots of yummy options including pizza and pasta. Atmosphere was charming. Service was slow, but we were happy to enjoy a respite from the heat and the crowds. Portions were decent - we usually split entrees at Disney restaurants but found these were right-sized for one adult.

1  Thank Mommee123
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

This was a great experience! The food serves was delicious and the staff was quite friendly! The entire restaurant was wonderful! WOW

1  Thank ListenToMe717
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We were at Disney this past April and wanted to get a sit-down meal at Hollywood Studios. Decided to try Mama Melrose's deal for lunch with Fantasmic and it was great! Highly recommend this - for one price you get a full meal (appetizer, entree, drink and shared dessert) plus seats in a reserved section to Fantasmic. Great way to get into Fantasmic without using a Fastpass - the park was busy but not crazy when we went and it was already standing room only at Fantasmic long before the show. With our pass, we walked in a few minutes before the show and had a great seat.

As for the food, it was very good. I had the steak dish. The meat was tasty and pasta it came with was tremendous - I could have eaten a dish (or two) of just that. My kids loved their meals too (a type of macaroni and cheese, also very tasty) and the meatball cupcake for dessert. Bread was good too. Had mozzarella and tomato appetizer, also good.

We have always eaten at the Sci-Fi Dine In when at Hollywood Studios (which we still love - such a great atmosphere), but for the food we will definitely eat at Mama Melrose's again on future trips.

5  Thank Joel A
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Let me preface this review with...I have been to Italy a few times. So I know the meats and proper ways to prepare them.
We started off our meal on time. Our reservation was at 7:30, we sat down at that exact minute.
The restaurant was cute, slightly on the noisy side but it was full.
Our server was helpful and put up with our issues. ( I can't have a lot of oil or cream.)
We started off with a Bellini which came in the typical smaller champagne glass. Portion was typical but if one never ordered a Bellini before one would be like...3 ounces for 8 bucks? Bellini tasted good but could have had more peach.
We ordered a bresaola salad. Bresaola is the beef version of prosciutto. It should be cut as thin as thin as possible just like prosciutto. I was expecting delicately laid bresaola slices atop arugula and fav a beans and red peppers. What came was ..it looked like tongues laying flaccid on my plate. The salad was hidden under this display. Any Italian chef would have been horrified by the presentation. My mom looked at it and couldn't even take a bite. I had some bresaola and even though it was thick it tasted fine. So I pushed it to the side and we ate the salad beneath it. I ended up taking the bresaola home.
We then ordered the seafood arrabiata. Instead of whole wheat pasta we ordered it with gnocchi. At first it came out with the whole wheat and our waiter was horrified . He immediately brought it back in and in 12 minutes it was rectified. The dish was delicious. The seafood sauce was semi spicy and not too salty. The calamari was tender, not chewy and the mussels and fish fresh. There was enough left over for another meal or two so it came home too.

1  Thank Sandy Y